• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extra Cambrian and Heart of Wales servies -your experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
There don't seem to be any members of the Forum who reside in, or are in contact with events on the Heart of Wales line unfortunately. There are a number of Yahoo Groups who seem to know about everything that is happening throughout Wales but seem focused almost exclusively on Freight locomotives.

<cynic>That's easy enough, given there are hardly any freight locomotives in North/Mid Wales!</cynic>

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

Established Member
Yes Ive had the at feedback too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The 1537 ex Pwllheli on & 1730ex Abr on what should be the quietest day of the week- Wednesday see previous posts.

The accommodation stuff is confirmed by friends locally from B&B's to caravan sites; they are having a great year.

Gareth,
I was surprised just how busy it was, and it was a good cross section, from local people just going a couple of stations to a couple on a North Wales Circular ticket, to a pile of golfers on their way back to Birmingham after a coupe of days playing the coastal links.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Most impressed today.
1013 off Caersws was quite full and 23 got on and none off. 4 cars.
2 cars from Mach and it was almost full. Impressed they had 2 conductors doing tickets so no one was getting a free ride!
Aberdovey, more on than off.
Tywyn, as Aberdovey and now people were standing. 35 were waiting for the Mach train which looked quite full.
Barmouth, more off buts lots on, but all had seats.

I caught the 1629 off Harlech on the way back and it was full all the way to Mach, where we had to change platforms for the Brum train which was very full as we left. A few people were moaning that it really needs to be a 4 car unit, which is probably true in the summer.

Thank you. Very good to hear - although the Harlech loadings were skewed? by the show, you said.

Llanigraham

Established Member
No, I said I thought they would be, but I was the only one from the train that headed that way. Everyone else seemed to head up to the Castle, and on the return trip it was obvious that nearly everyone who got on had been to the Castle, other than a couple of locals.

I suspect that the distance to the Show probably puts people off; it's 2 miles along the main road with no bus service. I know I walked each way!!

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The accommodation stuff is confirmed by friends locally from B&B's to caravan sites; they are having a great year.

Gareth,
I was surprised just how busy it was, and it was a good cross section, from local people just going a couple of stations to a couple on a North Wales Circular ticket, to a pile of golfers on their way back to Birmingham after a coupe of days playing the coastal links.

fascinating. Presumably, the generally good tourism results are the result of - in the main - arrivals by road. But it would be interesting to know if the fact that the Cambrian was restored to traffic full length last September (was it?) also played a significant role.

It will also be interesting to see the passenger figures for the first full year of (hopefully) uninterrupted operations - but those, unfortunately, will not be available for another 15 months, i'd guess.

jimm

Established Member
fascinating. Presumably, the generally good tourism results are the result of - in the main - arrivals by road. But it would be interesting to know if the fact that the Cambrian was restored to traffic full length last September (was it?) also played a significant role.

It will also be interesting to see the passenger figures for the first full year of (hopefully) uninterrupted operations - but those, unfortunately, will not be available for another 15 months, i'd guess.

It's not necessarily the case that people get to the coast for their holidays by car, particularly from the West Midlands, which has always been a core source of holidaymakers on the Cambrian coast and which is, of course, connected by direct trains that are just the job for people with a suitcase or two.

But from other parts of the country, which would involve a change on to what is already most likely a busy train at Birmingham, Wolverhampton or Shrewsbury, even with the possibility of reserving sets, I'm sure the car is the preferred mode of transport.

Llanigraham

Established Member
From my own observations and from living in the area, I would say that it is a big mix.

There seems to be a lot of women with children travelling, apparently (from overheard conversations) to caravans on the coast whilst their husbands are still at work, and the same groups just on a day out from the West Mids. Borth, Aberdovey and Barmouth seem to be popular destinations, but a surprising number were using the request stops, and confidently, so they had obviously done it before.

There also seem to be a growing number just "using the train", especially as it is being pushed as a scenic and easy way to see the coast instead of using the car. And to be honest, it might be an A road but it isn't a good one!

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Used the 0830 ex ABR today from Newtown to Shresbury about 30 got on Newtown, 25 at Welshpool, maybe 35 already on at Newtown.

Came back on 1530. 150285 was running in the circuit attached to a 158 so it was unit swap mayhem between Platforms 5 & 4a as the 1409 ex INTL and 1330 ex ABR terminated and swapped over. 1530 was every seat taken plus at least. A dozen standing in my carriage alone, easily 300 plus heading west from Shrewsbury.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Used the 0830 ex ABR today from Newtown to Shresbury about 30 got on Newtown, 25 at Welshpool, maybe 35 already on at Newtown.

Came back on 1530. 150285 was running in the circuit attached to a 158 so it was unit swap mayhem between Platforms 5 & 4a as the 1409 ex INTL and 1330 ex ABR terminated and swapped over. 1530 was every seat taken plus at least. A dozen standing in my carriage alone, easily 300 plus heading west from Shrewsbury.

AYW rather than ABR?
Not very memorable...

Llanigraham

Established Member
Argghhhhh!!

When will people remember that not all of us know or use these acronyms!!
Where the heck is AYW?
ABR is I presume Aberystwyth.

Veteran Member
Meanwhile I was on the 0914 Crewe-Swansea from Shrewsbury.

Don't think anyone stayed on at SHR.

Max load was about 30 into Llandrindod Wells (it's Victorian Week), and again from Ammanford, so well within the capacity of a 153, and 9-10 of the request stops were made.

Didn't see the 10xx arrival at SHR, but talking to staff it has hsd a definite positive effect into SHR.

Parallel

Established Member
Borth, Aberdovey and Barmouth seem to be popular destinations, but a surprising number were using the request stops, and confidently, so they had obviously done it before.

Definitely; I've noticed this too when I made several journeys on the Cambrian Coast line earlier this year. I went from Dyffryn Ardudwy - Aberystwyth one day and we stopped at (I think) every request stop between those places - Possibly apart from Tonfanau. We were about 4 minutes late arriving into Dovey Junction.

Request stops in the evening between Pwllheli and Barmouth also seemed to be popular, with locals returning from towns such as Pwllheli and Porthmadog.

These are the entries and exits recorded for the financial year 2013-2014 by the ORR. (Request stops only). Also this wouldn't include passengers travelling with day ranger or rover tickets. (?)

Llwyngwril - 34,194
Talybont - 20,332
Dyffryn Ardudwy - 16,592
Morfa Mawddach - 9,962
Penhelig - 9,178
Llanbedr - 9,098
Talsarnau 7,026
Llandanwg - 4,382
Penychain - 3,276
Tonfanau - 2,728
Llanaber - 2,298
Pensarn - 1,810
Abererch - 1,380
Tygwyn - 1,364
Llandecwyn - 880

It's worth noting that the usage will be negatively affected by the damage to the track from the storms, and also Pont Briwet bridge being closed until late last year - it will be interesting to see figures for 2014-2015. Interestingly, Abererch has actually increased compared to 2012-13. Not too sure why...

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It would be appreciated if members could refrain from posting 3 letter codes without an explanation when they are first used. On longer threads, repeating the full station name, especially for more obscure locations, can also be a very helpful memory aide!

Llanigraham

Established Member
It would be appreciated if members could refrain from posting 3 letter codes without an explanation when they are first used. On longer threads, repeating the full station name, especially for more obscure locations, can also be a very helpful memory aide!

Thank you.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
When will people remember that not all of us know or use these acronyms!!
Where the heck is AYW?

ABR is I presume Aberystwyth.
As has already been said, ABR is NOT officially Aberystwyth (although I think that is what Gareth meant), Aberystwyth is AYW. If you're interested in learning them, I think most of the 3-letter station codes that I've memorised have been courtesy of using First Great Western's journey planner which shows the code when you are typing the station name (possibly all mixing-deck journey planners have this feature, I'm not sure).

150285 was running in the circuit attached to a 158 so it was unit swap mayhem between Platforms 5 & 4a as the 1409 ex INTL and 1330 ex ABR terminated and swapped over.
I squeased onto 158836 (the unit attached to 150285) from Wolverhampton and had to rush between units at SHR too. Whatever was a 150 doing on that run? After Machynlleth, I think I overheard the guard say he'd counted 98 passengers.

On Tuesday (25th Aug) I made my first trip on one of the new services (12:30 AYW to SHR (Shrewsbury)). I think there were about 24 waiting on the platform at Aberystwyth as the train pulled in. When we got to SHR, it was announced that the unit would continue to north Wales (apparently forming a 6-car train when coupled to the two sets from Birmingham).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As has already been said, ABR is NOT officially Aberystwyth (although I think that is what Gareth meant), Aberystwyth is AYW. If you're interested in learning them, I think most of the 3-letter station codes that I've memorised have been courtesy of using First Great Western's journey planner which shows the code when you are typing the station name (possibly all mixing-deck journey planners have this feature, I'm not sure).

I squeased onto 158836 (the unit attached to 150285) from Wolverhampton and had to rush between units at SHR too. Whatever was a 150 doing on that run? After Machynlleth, I think I overheard the guard say he'd counted 98 passengers.

On Tuesday (25th Aug) I made my first trip on one of the new services (12:30 AYW to SHR (Shrewsbury)). I think there were about 24 waiting on the platform at Aberystwyth as the train pulled in. When we got to SHR, it was announced that the unit would continue to north Wales (apparently forming a 6-car train when coupled to the two sets from Birmingham).

If 150285 hadn't been on that run you might have had to stand so don't moan. The obvious answer is there was no 158 available.

berneyarms

Established Member
Something I've noticed from Realtime Trains and which is not clear from the ATW timetable, is that from 13 September the 08:30 Sundays Only Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth service will be replaced by a bus in its entirety, arriving at Aberystwyth at 11:10, fifty minutes later than the current train.

A train will operate from Machynlleth to Aberystwyth at 09:47.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Something I've noticed from Realtime Trains and which is not clear from the ATW timetable, is that from 13 September the 08:30 Sundays Only Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth service will be replaced by a bus in its entirety, arriving at Aberystwyth at 11:10, fifty minutes later than the current train.

A train will operate from Machynlleth to Aberystwyth at 09:47.

The only thing I can think of is that as there was no train previously at this time out of the Summer period, it could be that Network Rail have carte blanche rights to work on the line. If this is the case, ATW will no publish a Timetable amendment as their Timetable was issued back in May and to run through to December.

Gareth Marston

Established Member

The Cambrian unit I believe is detached at Chester? And forms a set to Llandudno 20 odd minutes later. The 1830 from Aberystwyth also goes through to Crewe unadvertised as such. The 1830 and 2030 Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth trains are in fact portions off Birmingham International to Chester trains.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The Cambrian unit I believe is detached at Chester? And forms a set to Llandudno 20 odd minutes later. The 1830 from Aberystwyth also goes through to Crewe unadvertised as such. The 1830 and 2030 Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth trains are in fact portions off Birmingham International to Chester trains.

The 12 30 ex Aber attaching to go North Wales has only been a Holiday STP working. The normal working iS to attach to the 11 27 Holyhead to Birmingham Intl (this has been STP 4 EX Holyhead). the 13 09 ex Birmingham Intl is booked 4 as far as Llandudno Jn, where one detaches to work back to Chester and the other to Holyhead.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
The 12 30 ex Aber attaching to go North Wales has only been a Holiday STP working. The normal working iS to attach to the 11 27 Holyhead to Birmingham Intl (this has been STP 4 EX Holyhead). the 13 09 ex Birmingham Intl is booked 4 as far as Llandudno Jn, where one detaches to work back to Chester and the other to Holyhead.

Pwllheli / Aberysywyth / Shrewsbury/ Birmingham International/ Chester/North Wales Coast / Manchester Piccadily via Warrington and Shrewsbury to Crewe are all intworked by ATW 158 fleet. It must be the most complicated diagramming in the UK?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Pwllheli / Aberysywyth / Shrewsbury/ Birmingham International/ Chester/North Wales Coast / Manchester Piccadily via Warrington and Shrewsbury to Crewe are all intworked by ATW 158 fleet. It must be the most complicated diagramming in the UK?

Also along the Marches to Fishguard Hbr, Pembroke Dock, Maesteg and Cheltenham. There are many diagrams that get to cover an extensive area, even ATW 150s. They are based at Cardiff and work to Fishguard Hbr, Milford Haven, Pembroke Dock, Vale of Glamorgan, Maesteg, Cardiff Valleys, Ebbw Vale, Cheltenham, Manchester Picc, Heart of Wales Line, Holyhead, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Birmingham Intnl, Chester to Crewe and Wrexham to Bidston. Odd ones are diagrammed weekend only but that is nothing to go by. The only ATW they are not diagrammed to work over is between Chester and Manchester but in practice, they do.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Consensus at RUG mtg tonight was that some of the extra services were well used but others were not. I got 2030 off Shrewsbury back to Newtown barely double figures on board. 0624 Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth was described as really useful on the occasion it was needed but generally empty east of Machynlleth . Other extra DOWN services better used. In the UP direction all saw merit to 0630 , 0830 and 1230 and reported good loadings but 1830 off Aberystwyth was poor east of Machynlleth.

SARPA were also happy that a press release of theirs on their wishes for the new wales and Borders franchise had been on front page of tonight's Shropshire Star despite being released several months ago!

jimm

Established Member
Consensus at RUG mtg tonight was that some of the extra services were well used but others were not. I got 2030 off Shrewsbury back to Newtown barely double figures on board. 0624 Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth was described as really useful on the occasion it was needed but generally empty east of Machynlleth . Other extra DOWN services better used. In the UP direction all saw merit to 0630 , 0830 and 1230 and reported good loadings but 1830 off Aberystwyth was poor east of Machynlleth.

SARPA were also happy that a press release of theirs on their wishes for the new wales and Borders franchise had been on front page of tonight's Shropshire Star despite being released several months ago!

Thanks for the update Gareth. Probably much as expected, though the 20.30 figure does seem a bit low. Is the need to change twice if coming from London acting as a deterrent? I note that the ATW pocket timetable doesn't even bother to show the 17.43 off Euston as a connection, which may not help matters either.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The 17 53 ex Euston is a Glasgow train via Birmingham so it is quite possible that being a different TOC involved not everything could be available to ATW's Timetable system.

berneyarms

Established Member
Thanks for the update Gareth, much appreciated.

I'm getting the impression from your comments that, were it possible (depending on fleet availability), there would be an appetite for making these changes:

- Cancel the 06:25 Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth
- Replace it with a 07:48 Machynlleth-Aberstywth (could use the set off the 06:46 ex-Barmouth, making it a through Barmouth-Aberystwyth service)
- Add a 16:30 Aberystwyth-Shrewsbury
- Cancel the 18:30 service east of Machynlleth
- Add a 16:30 Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth (replacing the 18:00 Machynlleth-Aberystwyth)
- Cancel the 20:30 Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth
- Reduce the 19:30 service ex-Aberystwyth to 2 cars east of Machynlleth

And yes, lest anyone comment on it, I fully appreciate the constraints that the fleet places on whatever can happen - I'm engaging in a bit of thinking of what would be viewed as the more optimum timetable on the route.
Thanks for the update Gareth. Probably much as expected, though the 20.30 figure does seem a bit low. Is the need to change twice if coming from London acting as a deterrent? I note that the ATW pocket timetable doesn't even bother to show the 17.43 off Euston as a connection, which may not help matters either.

Actually the 20:30 from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth is (from what I can gather from Realtimetrains) formed out of part of the 19:04 from Birmingham International, despite what the timetable shows.

So only one change required.

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member

Its a portion that splits off the 1909 Birmingham International to Chester but they don't advertise it as such. Same as the 1830 which is a portion off the 1709 Birmingham International to Holyhead.
Thanks for the update Gareth, much appreciated.

I'm getting the impression from your comments that, were it possible (depending on fleet availability), there would be an appetite for making these changes:

- Cancel the 06:25 Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth
- Replace it with a 07:48 Machynlleth-Aberstywth (could use the set off the 06:46 ex-Barmouth, making it a through Barmouth-Aberystwyth service)
- Add a 16:30 Aberystwyth-Shrewsbury
- Cancel the 18:30 service east of Machynlleth
- Add a 16:30 Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth (replacing the 18:00 Machynlleth-Aberystwyth)
- Cancel the 20:30 Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth
- Reduce the 19:30 service ex-Aberystwyth to 2 cars east of Machynlleth

And yes, lest anyone comment on it, I fully appreciate the constraints that the fleet places on whatever can happen - I'm engaging in a bit of thinking of what would be viewed as the more optimum timetable on the route.

Actually the 20:30 from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth is (from what I can gather from Realtimetrains) formed out of part of the 19:04 from Birmingham International, despite what the timetable shows.

So only one change required.

Yes but not advertised to the ordinary punters the RUG guys know and us on RF!

When ATW wanted to run Aberystwyth to Marylebone in 2009 their bid had departures eastbound @ 0630 & 0830 and westbound form Shrewsbury @ 1630 & 1830! ATW knew exactly where the times of most demand are. We've got 3 out those 4 slots but also some "duds".

Status
Not open for further replies.