• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extra Skegness HST...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SprinterMan

Established Member
In TRUST an additional Nottingham-Skegness and return service is shown as operating on peak summer Saturdays... It's timed for a HST... This is in addition to the 0752 Derby-Skegness and 1140 return...

Nottingham 0943
Grantham 1021
Sleaford 1055
Boston 1124
Skegness 1158

Skegness 1235
Boston 1315
Sleaford 1339
Nottingham 1436

Well found! I guess they decided they could do it after all, despite VTEC using an extra HST on Sundays. I will put this in the frequently requested diagrams thread :)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
There may not be an announcement incase it gets ripped after a failure on the main line. It'll run to take the pressure off the 0955 which is booked for a 158+153 this year.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Well, this is all jolly dee and helpful for folks seeking to take the bucket and spade to Skeggy. It is also good for the week-long stayers (or even fortnighters - if anyone takes a fortnight in Skeggy these days).

But what about the day trippers wanting to get 'ome at night?

What are the chances of passengers at, say, Wainfleet, wanting to join the 17.24 and 18.24 ex-Skeggy actually being able to board these trains? My suspicions are these trains must be wedged on a decent summer's Saturday.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Well, this is all jolly dee and helpful for folks seeking to take the bucket and spade to Skeggy. It is also good for the week-long stayers (or even fortnighters - if anyone takes a fortnight in Skeggy these days).

It'd be good for those 2nd Prize winners, the ones who win a fortnight's stay in Skeggy where the 1st Prize is for a week's stay.:lol: Sorry, I've never been to Skegness so I don't really mean it.

High Dyke

Established Member
Last year they put the HST on a normal diagram and provided buses for the places the HST then didn't call at e.g. Heckington, Wainfleet etc. Despite this the service couldn't properly keep to the timings - the HST suffers various speed restrictions on the way, and the turnround time at Skeg wasn't sufficient.

This information was forwarded by EMT for 2017.
I just wanted to keep you all informed about the current resourcing position for this Summer with regard to Skegness.

Due the continuing Fleet concerns we can't guarantee a second HST to be provided on Summer Saturdays and as a consequence we will not be able to plan for this. Therefore the base plan is normal booked services with strengthening plus the additional HST as shown in the timetable.

This does mean that we are providing less capacity than previously due to the additional Newark services introduced last Summer but with the current Fleet resourcing issues we're not able to make any overall capacity increase in the LTP plan, although we are able to move that capacity around to some degree.

If we receive better news from the Fleet team we will take another look but for the time being I feel it's best that we plan on the capacity shown below.
We have changed the start date for the HST to be the 22nd July as shown below.

Mugby

Established Member
To think that BR ran Manchester - Skegness, Sheffield - Skegness, Derby - Skegness, Leicester - Skegness.

Always had enough stock and always coped with the loadings, havn't we progressed!

berneyarms

Established Member
So which routes would you cancel trains on?

This old chestnut keeps coming up. Service levels on Saturdays (and indeed most other days) have increased across the network compared to BR days. There simply isn't rolling stock lying around idle anymore. It's all in productive use.

cactustwirly

Established Member
If there are spare 222s then you could stick one on a London - Nottingham diagram to free up a HST set.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Realtime trains list them as having First and standard class seating! But I guess this is an error

On Moderation
If there are spare 222s then you could stick one on a London - Nottingham diagram to free up a HST set.

From the above, they are operating 2 HSTs to Skegness this year, not sure what else you want them to do?

And I still don't understand why anyone wants to go there, it is a horrible dump.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
To think that BR ran Manchester - Skegness, Sheffield - Skegness, Derby - Skegness, Leicester - Skegness.

Always had enough stock and always coped with the loadings, havn't we progressed!

Once Pacers come of their current duties, they can always be stored for such purposes. :p

Mugby

Established Member
And I still don't understand why anyone wants to go there, it is a horrible dump.

Because from Nottingham it's the nearest seaside town, geographically, with a decent beach when the weather is good and 'horrible dump' is a tad unfair!

Once Pacers come of their current duties, they can always be stored for such purposes. :p

Well not exactly ideal but if everyone got a seat it would be something and the maximum linespeed throughout is within a Pacer's capability!

berneyarms

Established Member
From the above, they are operating 2 HSTs to Skegness this year, not sure what else you want them to do?

The fact that you don't like it doesn't mean others don't.

Why people expect everyone else to conform to what they like in terms of holiday destination is beyond me.

We're all different.

It wouldn't necessarily be my cup of tea but for lots of people it clearly is more than satisfactory.

Horses for courses.

They *may* have a second HST - only one is officially confirmed. The second one quoted above is dependent upon one being available - that's why the other poster was suggesting that if there was a spare Class 222 available that it could facilitate that second HST being released.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member

And there was the Cambridge - Skeg on a Sunday too

class26

And there was the Cambridge - Skeg on a Sunday too

and as a student in Brum I remember catching a through New street to Skegness on summer Saturday hauled by a pair of 20`s (getting off at Boston). Those were the days.

Iskra

Established Member
Can someone please clarify the status of 1st class on these HST extras? I'm interested in doing a trip to cover the line, but not if it's Dunkirk style conditions on board. (I work a lot of weekends so don't have the luxury of waiting for a wet weekend when the trains will be quiet).

Mugby

Established Member
I suppose they would have to be seeing as there are no first class fares between Nottingham and Skegness!

This always used to be the case in BR days on the local service between Nottingham and Grantham. In recent times, if EMT use the additional Class 158 (or is it a 159?) which was transferred up from SWT and still has first class, it's always declassified.

Last week, EMT were using a 4 car Meridian on Nottingham - Lincoln, presumably due to a unit shortage. I imagine it too was similarly declassified.

louis97

Established Member
In recent times, if EMT use the additional Class 158 (or is it a 159?) which was transferred up from SWT and still has first class, it's always declassified.

It isn't designated First Class anymore anyway, it has signs on the windows and the door saying 'Standard Class accommodation'.

LowLevel

Established Member
Skegness *is* a horrible dump with plenty of horrible and a few misguided people that go there.

The HSTs are fully declassified - unfortunately for the passengers who have to travel on them when they get back to the East Mids down to London as the first class coaches are often wrecked with rubbish everywhere and children's snacks crunched into the carpet with no chance to clean them.

The second set is definitely planned to operate.

I don't understand why people want to ride on these trains for the sake of riding on them. If you want to surround yourself with people smoking in the bogs, drinking booze at 9am while shouting and swearing at little Logan-Jane-Kayjayrayden while they climb all over the seats and play tinny games at top volume on a cheap tablet, just before changing little Luceh' s nappy on the table and shoving the dirty one down the side of the Seat, knock yourself out.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Skegness *is* a horrible dump with plenty of horrible and a few misguided people that go there.

The HSTs are fully declassified - unfortunately for the passengers who have to travel on them when they get back to the East Mids down to London as the first class coaches are often wrecked with rubbish everywhere and children's snacks crunched into the carpet with no chance to clean them.

I don't understand why people want to ride on these trains for the sake of riding on them. If you want to surround yourself with people smoking in the bogs, drinking booze at 9am while shouting and swearing at little Logan-Jane-Kayjayrayden while they climb all over the seats and play tinny games at top volume on a cheap tablet, just before changing little Luceh' s nappy on the table and shoving the dirty one down the side of the Seat, knock yourself out.

I realise that you may well have experienced all the above at some time or other, but is society on these trains really that bad, week in, week out?

If so, it is surprsing EMT is interested in putting on any extra services whatsoever. The picture you paint is one that would involve more cost (in terms of cleaning up afterwards, and passenger misery for the later Nottingham-St Pancras run) than extra fare revenues.

LowLevel

Established Member
You're welcome to do a more scientific research piece, but I can only speak from my own experience (which I would say is far more comprehensive than most on here). From Easter till October I'd pay a reasonable sum of money to not have to go there.

It is not a nice experience. It doesn't take many unpleasant families on a train to make it a grim place to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.