• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eyesight check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

callum112233

I often wonder if my eyesight falls within the required parameters for being a train driver.
How can I find out before applying for driving jobs if my eyesight passes the minimum standard. Would an optician be able to advise?
Also, is there anything that can be done if my eyesight was to fail the minimum standards?

Thanks for any advice.

Callum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
I think uncorrected vision is 3/20 which basically means reading the biggest letter on the chart from 3 feet away. If you can't do that then you are also registered blind.

Corrected vision (ie with glasses/contacts) needs to be (again I think but not 100%) 6/12 in one eye and 6/9 in the other. So not quite 20/20.

As long as you can read 3/20 without glasses you can have glasses to correct your vision.

Hope that helps.

scottishchris

While we're on the subject, I've applied to be a trainee driver but I remember reading somewhere that TOCs take a dim view of people wanting to have laser eye surgery (I haven't had it, but it's something I'd like to have done in the future).

Anybody able to shed any light on the ins and outs of this?

Established Member
While we're on the subject, I've applied to be a trainee driver but I remember reading somewhere that TOCs take a dim view of people wanting to have laser eye surgery (I haven't had it, but it's something I'd like to have done in the future).

Anybody able to shed any light on the ins and outs of this?

Northern Rail will explicitly state that they don't take anyone on who has had laser eye surgery.

reapz

I often wonder if my eyesight falls within the required parameters for being a train driver.
How can I find out before applying for driving jobs if my eyesight passes the minimum standard. Would an optician be able to advise?
Also, is there anything that can be done if my eyesight was to fail the minimum standards?

Thanks for any advice.

Callum.

a) distance vision shall be at least 6/9 in the better eye and 6/12 in the other eye; the use of spectacles or contact lenses is permitted to meet this requirement

b) where contact lenses are used, the test shall be repeated using the person’s corrective spectacles, that would normally be carried by the person when on duty

c) where spectacles or contact lenses are used, uncorrected visual acuity shall be at least 3/60 in each eye

d) no pathological condition likely to cause visual impairment shall be present

e) no progressive eye diseases

f) binocular near vision of at least N8, with spectacles or contact lenses if worn (applicable only to persons undertaking driving duties

Status
Not open for further replies.