• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eyesight requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanGB

I have been recently after a career change, over to railway engineering. I have applied for a few jobs, one with Network Rail, as a Signalling Technician.
These will of course need a PTS certificate.

Just browsing today I came across medical requirements for PTS, particularity this:
https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GORT3353 Iss 2.pdf

Bit of a shock as it seems to require a visual acuity of 6/9 in best eye and 6/12 in worst eye.

Unfortunately I am 6/6 (perfect) in best eye and 6/30 in worst eye with correction.

To confirm, does this mean I will never be able to get a PTS and work around the track? :(

Do people know if this is also a requirement for TOC depot related rolling stock maintenance roles also?

Gutted is an understatement. My eyesight has never been a issue for me before like this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
6/6 6/30 corrected will get you a pass for a NR PTS medical but you will have a restriction placed on your card which will require you to be accompanied at all times when on the infrastructure. Inconvenient at times - as you will not be able to hold certain competencies - but not impossible. At least that’s how it worked for me (6/6 6/24 corrected, before surgery).

DanGB

6/6 6/30 corrected will get you a pass for a NR PTS medical but you will have a restriction placed on your card which will require you to be accompanied at all times when on the infrastructure. Inconvenient at times - as you will not be able to hold certain competencies - but not impossible. At least that’s how it worked for me (6/6 6/24 corrected, before surgery).

Thanks. That's interesting. So basically a PTS with an endorsement. A glimmer of hope, but very limiting I suspect. What role did you have with that restriction?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Various Operations and S&T roles within NR. The biggest limitation I found was I wasn’t allowed to hold Individual Working Alone (IWA) competence which, in theory, was a mandatory requirement for one of my previous jobs. I managed to work round it though by having a very understanding manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.