• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eyesight Requiremnts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik4156

Hello. Apologies if this topic has been posted already but I’m a new user and really need to see if this applies to me. So with my left eye, my vision is great with and without glasses even being able to read down to the bottom row of letters. The problem is that the vision in the right eye is really bad not being able to read below the big letter at the top even with glasses (I’m short sighted in both eyes and wear glasses). I’ve seen many optometrists and they say that I basically only see out of my left eye. The thing is that I really want to be a train driver and I’m curious if this will hold me back. Will I be turned away because of vision in my right eye?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Hello. Apologies if this topic has been posted already but I’m a new user and really need to see if this applies to me. So with my left eye, my vision is great with and without glasses even being able to read down to the bottom row of letters. The problem is that the vision in the right eye is really bad not being able to read below the big letter at the top even with glasses (I’m short sighted in both eyes and wear glasses). I’ve seen many optometrists and they say that I basically only see out of my left eye. The thing is that I really want to be a train driver and I’m curious if this will hold me back. Will I be turned away because of vision in my right eye?
Depends what you can see with glasses. I'm a short sighted train driver and can't see the big letter without . I believe there is a maximum + or - figure.

irish_rail

Established Member
On a serious note, unfortunately I have a feeling that you wouldn't pass the medical with that level of eyesight. There are minimum standards in both eyes without glasses and by the sound of it you would probably fail.
Is laser surgery an option? I know some TOCs will take on people who have had it though maybe not all.

Mik4156

On a serious note, unfortunately I have a feeling that you wouldn't pass the medical with that level of eyesight. There are minimum standards in both eyes without glasses and by the sound of it you would probably fail.
Is laser surgery an option? I know some TOCs will take on people who have had it though maybe not all.
That’s a shame to hear I can see perfectly normal with both my eyes it’s just the right on its own I struggle with. I hear that they don’t accept people who have had laser eye surgery but I‘m not too sure.

Mik4156

Depends what you can see with glasses. I'm a short sighted train driver and can't see the big letter without . I believe there is a maximum + or - figure.
My normal eyesight is perfect with glasses (again thanks to my left eye). Even without glasses, I’m mostly fine just can’t see as far.

heedfan

Attitudes to laser eye surgery as slowly changing but you will find some TOCs/FOCs will refuse you outright. If you struggle to see out of a particular eye even with glasses then I suspect that you may not meet to standard.

That being said, if you find the standards (publicly available) then take them to your optician they will probably be able to give you a definitive answer.

Mik4156

Attitudes to laser eye surgery as slowly changing but you will find some TOCs/FOCs will refuse you outright. If you struggle to see out of a particular eye even with glasses then I suspect that you may not meet to standard.

That being said, if you find the standards (publicly available) then take them to your optician they will probably be able to give you a definitive answer.
Do you know which TOCs do accept laser eye surgery? I’ve tried searching around but haven’t found much information.

irish_rail

Established Member
Do you know which TOCs do accept laser eye surgery? I’ve tried searching around but haven’t found much information.
I have a feeling a guy with ArrivavTrains Wales was one of the Guinea pigs 10 years or so ago so TFW may be worth a try.

Mik4156

Just to be sure, will I need to have a certain level of vision with eyes individually? Because, as I said, eyesight is perfectly normal with both eyes.

BloominMan

The eyesight requirements for new train drivers (after October 2013) are as follows:

20/20 both eyes together

Worst eye must be 20/40. That's about the 5th line down on a snellen chart. Same as UK car driving eyesight.

If correction is needed, no more than -8 or +4 prescription.

Going by what you've described, you would fail unfortunately! :(

samuel791

The eyesight requirements for new train drivers (after October 2013) are as follows:

20/20 both eyes together

Worst eye must be 20/40. That's about the 5th line down on a snellen chart. Same as UK car driving eyesight.

If correction is needed, no more than -8 or +4 prescription.

Going by what you've described, you would fail unfortunately! :(
You forgot to mention this can be through the use of glasses to meet this standard.

The main part they look for is the -8 to +5.

I drive on the TramTrain in Sheffield and was worried about my eye sight when going for the NR Medical. Was told I passed it with flying colours and that was with a -3.25 in my left eye and -2.50 in my right eye.

Last edited:

Choo choo 66

Quite surprised that -8 correction is the maximum. I am -2.75 in each eye and was told I had only just scraped through on the uncorrected eyesight test.

Stigy

Established Member
Quite surprised that -8 correction is the maximum. I am -2.75 in each eye and was told I had only just scraped through on the uncorrected eyesight test.
I thought it was -5 ish, -8 seems a bit much but if that’s what is says...

I don’t actually recall being tested that thoroughly as I I was worried about my eyesight too. I think they’re allowed some tolerance and discretion? I was literally tested for peripheral vision, had the snellen scale test and was asked to read a passage with glasses on and off. They didn’t check my prescription which I took with me just in case. I consider my eyesight to be pretty bad and wear glasses permanently. My distance vision without them is pretty poor. With them I consider it good but probably not perfect.

I will say what I say to everybody who asks, just check with HR and even go for it. Each case will more than likely be judged on its merits. Or have an eye test and ask if it’s at the acceptable standard for train driving (places like SpecSavers should know the standards but be wary as I was once told
My eyesight was acceptable for the Fire Service, but the fire service disagreed...).

Good luck!

Dante

I have to agree with Stigy - I'm not sure how the topic of your prescription would even come up for them know if you were -8 to +5. I wasn't asked for mine and it was simply a peripheral vision check, snellen test with/without glasses and reading passage with/without - both of which without I was unsatisfactory but it was an overall pass because I'm okay with the specs on.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
-8 is *very* short sighted. I’m -5.25 in one eye, and without my contact lens in that eye I can barely see where the Letter chart is, let alone what the first letter is!

Tony43

I asked an optician the reason for the limit on correction, and his reply was that the higher the correction the worse you peripheral vision gets .

Overspeed110

I had a driver medical for another TOC in February (job now on hold due to pandemic) and with it being a change of company it was a very thorough 'new starter' ETDL medical. I had to show a copy of my glasses prescription.

Although i passed the medical, my right eye is quite weak being not far off the upper limit for correction and during the time with the doctor (who is one of the most senior and experienced ORR doctors and I have known him a long time) he mentioned this and what a complex subject it is, and said if my prescription did hit the upper limit he would need to consult with an eye surgeon as there is a lot more to it than simply hitting the higher or lower limits and it being game over.

The actual wording in the guidelines states something like " lense power taken to the highest power meridian", this is written on my last eye test report and is quite lower than my actual lense power, so it does indeed appear to be far from clear.

BloominMan

Overspeed, right eye being not far off -8 without correction? Sorry, just to clarify.

RBSN

Northern Trains Limited do/or are the very least for Leeds drivers they accept laser eye surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.