• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'EYESORES'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Well, this this thread is about the aesthetics, rather than the practicalities of stations.

It's not exactly hideous either, how can it be an eyesore when most of it is underground! ;)

Personally, I prefer things which have been rebuilt pretty much from scratch in the 1960s (and I'd include Euston in that) to some of the more recent disasters, where modular-type buildings have been grafted onto older stations. East Grinstead and Uckfield spring to mind as total eyesores.

I gather Sunderland had quite a good train shed before Gerry bombed it in WWII

I think you're right. Had it survived the war, I doubt it would have survived to this day though, sadly.

Iskra

Established Member
Wakefield Westgate's new buildings aren't pretty. They're an improvement on the old but when they reach the age of the old one they'll look just as dated if not more so.

I think the bright yellow paint and generous provision of glass will keep it cheery for some time to come, internally at least. I certainly wouldn't call it an eyesore.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's not exactly hideous either, how can it be an eyesore when most of it is underground! ;)

Personally, I prefer things which have been rebuilt pretty much from scratch in the 1960s (and I'd include Euston in that) to some of the more recent disasters, where modular-type buildings have been grafted onto older stations. East Grinstead and Uckfield spring to mind as total eyesores.

Yes, the 1960's & 70's produced some classics but also some horrors. I still shudder at some of the CLASP type concrete monstrocities that litter the network.

I think you're right. Had it survived the war, I doubt it would have survived to this day though, sadly.

Some survived and some didn't. I can't believe they demolished Bradford Exchange in 1973.

Doomotron

London Waterloo. People say the roof is beautiful but I can't see why, it looks like a chicken pen. The tunnels from Waterloo East into Waterloo are nice though (except the bit that still looks like it's in NSE colours. It's a stark contrast from Southeastern's other termini, especially Charing Cross and St Pancras.

Victoria also doesn't look that good (well, the Southern but at least) but SE's but does. I haven't been to Cannon Street yet so I can't voice my opinions on it.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Palisade fencing.
Ok I know it’s there to do a job but it just makes me cringe looking at it.
Some areas of the country it’s painted green to blend in.

Entirely agree - it makes some stations look more like industrial estates or even prison camps than friendly welcoming environments. And unpainted galvanised iron fences look a total eyesore in residential or rural areas. I am sure they ought to be able to find something cheaper and less dominant , but equally effective to deter trespassers.

tsr

Established Member
Alfreton
Basically appeared to be a giant asbestos-ridden shed when I last went.

Streatham
Just no.

Sudbury & Harrow Road
Desolate. Tiny. Deserted. Damp.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Luton station must be a strong contender for eyesore, needs the station to be completely knocked down and rebuilt.

Mind you, the bus interchange there is the only bit that actually looks alright!

Luton station is completely in keeping with the town itself, i.e. that both are insufferably grim. Though all of the north-side Thameslink stations are pretty rubbish in a "done on the cheap in the 1980s and maintained to the bare minimum we could get away with" kind of a way - Bedford station is similarly nasty, and I don't mind Bedford as a town. Seriously needs a rebuild, with a platform on both fast lines while they're at it.

Slough station is in keeping with that town in exactly the same manner.

387star

On Moderation
Crawley is hideous and as uninspiring as the town itself

I thought work was due to commence on knocking down the tower block called overline house (permission granted three years ago) but no work has taken place

Luton also served by thameslink has a pretty ugly souless station and the town is worse than crawley

Gatwick airport is also incredibly ugly confusing and crampt

387star

On Moderation
Finsbiry park is just awful

The underpass is vile. The air quality is really poor.

The signage is incredibly faded in places too with leaks and missing handrails.

387star

On Moderation
Luton station is completely in keeping with the town itself, i.e. that both are insufferably grim. Though all of the north-side Thameslink stations are pretty rubbish in a "done on the cheap in the 1980s and maintained to the bare minimum we could get away with" kind of a way - Bedford station is similarly nasty, and I don't mind Bedford as a town. Seriously needs a rebuild, with a platform on both fast lines while they're at it.

Yeah none of the TL stations north of the river to Bedford and Peterborough have any architectural interest (aside from hitchin?) cambridge line is different

Luton really is horrible. But then I come from Chichester

bramling

Veteran Member
Yeah none of the TL stations north of the river to Bedford and Peterborough have any architectural interest (aside from hitchin?) cambridge line is different

Luton really is horrible. But then I come from Chichester

There are a few decent buildings on the GN side, Oakleigh Park, Brookmans Park, Welwyn North, Knebworth, Biggleswade, Sandy and Huntingdon to name a few which spring to mind. Letchworth and Hitchin are both very fine stations, and Stevenage is at least a good example of 1960s design, love it or hate it. Welwyn Garden City lost its fine building when the shopping centre was built, something which should never have been allowed. Some GN stations also retain at least some of their proper canopies, again Letchworth probably being the most complete example. Most of the Hertford Loop stations are quite decent too.

Whilst the GN stations are not as neat and tidy as they could perhaps be, they’re generally nicer and more complete than those on the Midland side, which I think is what the OP was referring to. Apart from a couple of old buildings mainly north of Luton, there’s sadly precious little of merit. North of Bedford is a very different story however.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Alfreton
Basically appeared to be a giant asbestos-ridden shed when I last went.

Streatham
Just no.

Sudbury & Harrow Road
Desolate. Tiny. Deserted. Damp.

I think Alfreton is one of the CLASP buildings I mentioned. Wokingham is another.

Doesn't Streatham still have a rather wonderful LB&SCR scalloped platform canopy ?

Ken H

On Moderation
It’s location is determined by the nature of propagation of radio signals in that area, not a lot Network Rail can do to subvert Mother Nature . It’s a lattice mast and a small REB and an even smaller DNO cubicle, so it’s about as small as it could be.
a green pole would be less intrusive. and a small stone building rather than the grey cabinet. i know its a standard installation but it shows appalling insensitivity to its setting IMHO.
Just because the railway doesnt need planning permission doesnt mean it should ride roughshod in sensitive areas.

Aictos

Established Member

The part of Luton station I think needs most work is to have a single footbridge linking all platforms instead of the current two if you include the concourse as one with lifts to all platforms of course being sited on the paid side of the barriers.

Yes I am aware that Platform 5 is step free access already but the other 4 platforms need it too!

Other then that, Luton station has quite good rail and bus connections - it's just a pity that the station looks so rundown.

As to Bedford, I disagree with you on that point and yes I've used it a number of times, the only issue that Bedford is sorely lacking are platforms on the fast lines not counting Plat 4 btw which the best idea for them is to slew the fast lines and fit a island platform between them ie platform 4 is ripped up and replaced with the Down Fast with the new Platform 5/6 between the Down and Up Fast.

Yes the infrastructure can be moved as they did when they extended the old Royal Mail footbridge at Peterborough to serve what is now Platforms 6/7 so it is possible, and they did remodel the Up Platforms at Alexandra Palace a few years ago so again is possible.

Renumber the platforms as follows and it will be fit for the 21st Century:

Plat 1A to be Plat 1
Plat 1 to be Plat 2
Platform 2 to be Plat 3
Platform 3 to be Plat 4
Platform 4 to be Plat 5
Platform 6 as new built

If that's not possible, maybe resite Bedford station so it is possible?

Ken H

On Moderation
Well, this this thread is about the aesthetics, rather than the practicalities of stations.

I gather Sunderland had quite a good train shed before Gerry bombed it in WWII
I have started a new thread about WW1 and WW2 bomb damage prompted by your comment.

Aictos

Established Member
There are a few decent buildings on the GN side, Oakleigh Park, Brookmans Park, Welwyn North, Knebworth, Biggleswade, Sandy and Huntingdon to name a few which spring to mind. Letchworth and Hitchin are both very fine stations, and Stevenage is at least a good example of 1960s design, love it or hate it. Welwyn Garden City lost its fine building when the shopping centre was built, something which should never have been allowed. Some GN stations also retain at least some of their proper canopies, again Letchworth probably being the most complete example. Most of the Hertford Loop stations are quite decent too.

Whilst the GN stations are not as neat and tidy as they could perhaps be, they’re generally nicer and more complete than those on the Midland side, which I think is what the OP was referring to. Apart from a couple of old buildings mainly north of Luton, there’s sadly precious little of merit. North of Bedford is a very different story however.

Hertford North is a decent station plus it still has the original LNER shelter on Platform 1 don't forget :)

Plus it still has the fireplaces intact on the Down side, they're only boarded up so could easily be brought back into use :smile:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Newport Gwent mixes poor quality new facilities and run down old ones. Not to mention the station is currently a building site due to the electrification works.

Oh, definitely .... they spent £20m on the new station, and all I can say is that it'll be nice when it's finished!

STKKK46

Small Heath & Duddeston - They both have an abandoned island platform and a building at the top. The state of the steps onto the platforms and the platform is of such disrepair it makes them look very grim/derelict.

What regular passengers?? Personally, I find Bordesley more creepy than an eyesore, (mainly the steps up to the platform).

I'm not sure Bordesley has any regular passengers.

I was referring to those using the station for Football.

d9009alycidon

Coatbridge Central - ever since the platform level buildings were demolished and the street level station building sold off, effectively detaching it from the station it has been a total disgrace, the subway to access the southbound platform is a hell hole

RichJF

Redhill -
derelict parcels bridge still there,
post office bay with no track/rusting buffers/corrugated sheeting,
disused post office works boarded up,
eyesore of platform 0,
pigeon droppings EVERYWHERE,
windy,
metal fencing with multiple coats of peeling paint on them,
dirty white buildings outside ground floor ticket office,
obsolete rusting NSE totem pole sign outside,
whole station look stuck in the 80s/90s & could with a massive deep clean

och aye

Motherwell is a bit grim in its current state, although it is due to get some TLC in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.