• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

F1 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Established Member
Races now have a 4 hour time limit.
What's the point of that? There didn't seem to be any difficulty in going over 4 hours in Canada and at the time it was reported they would wait out the weather for as long as long as there was still daylight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
I'm reminded of that classic episode of 'Only Fools and Horses'. I just hope you didn't get your 'statellite aerial dish' from the end of the Gatwick runway. :p

I had that in mind when building it :lol:

It's causing drivers to do a double-take when they go past, hope it doesn't cause an accident :shock:

Still, it's better than paying the Murdoch clan.

bnm

Established Member
I had that in mind when building it :lol:

It's causing drivers to do a double-take when they go past, hope it doesn't cause an accident :shock:

Still, it's better than paying the Murdoch clan.

Sadly I can't even consider setting up my own statellite rig. Damn big wooded hill directly in line from my property to the location of geo-stationary broadcast satellites. So it's SkyGo online for me or other less legal means.....

Bungle73

On Moderation
What's the point of that? There didn't seem to be any difficulty in going over 4 hours in Canada and at the time it was reported they would wait out the weather for as long as long as there was still daylight.

Do you really want a race to last longer than four hours? It cause all sorts of problems.

Bungle73

On Moderation
What problems is it going to cause other than having TV schedules messed up?

People want to go home? Not least the spectators sitting in the grandstands. Theoretically, with no limit, a race could last more than eight hours; no one wants that I'm sure.

Zoe

Established Member
People want to go home? Not least the spectators sitting in the grandstands. Theoretically, with no limit, a race could last more than eight hours; no one wants that I'm sure.
So a race should be cut short just as some people want to go home? In some sports matches can go on considerably longer than expected but there is no time limit and all the people involved will stay as long as it takes even if they do want to go home, that's just part of the job.

I think people would have preferred an extra delay at Canada if the rain hadn't stopped than having no race after the red flag and half points awarded or watching the safety car go round and round. Wimbledon matches have often been delayed hours but they just wait it out and play once the rain stops.

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Broadcast networks have a big say in matters. Little point continuing/restarting a race in changeable conditions if nobody is covering it. There are also local considerations to take into account. Many circuits are only permitted to operate during certain hours for noise abatement reasons. Then there's the small matter of dispersing up to 100,000 spectators. And sundown. Not to forget safety. It's bloody dangerous racing an F1 car in the wet/sunset/dusk.

Bit unfair to compare with Wimbledon. 15,000 spectators max plus a few others on the hill, no noise concerns and sufficient public transport to cope with a late evening finish.

gasheadsteve

I think the big story this season will be Mercedes passing Ferrari to become the number 3 team. Ferrari have still not recovered from the loss of the Brawn/Byrne/Todt/Schumacher dream team and have only one top-class driver in Alonso. It pains me to say it because I've always had a soft spot for Massa, but he's never been the same since being hit on the head by a chunk of Williams. If Kubica hadn't had his accident I don't think there's any way Massa would be in the team now.

I'm hoping to see Williams move up the grid a bit, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

LE Greys

Established Member
Broadcast networks have a big say in matters. Little point continuing/restarting a race in changeable conditions if nobody is covering it. There are also local considerations to take into account. Many circuits are only permitted to operate during certain hours for noise abatement reasons. Then there's the small matter of dispersing up to 100,000 spectators. And sundown. Not to forget safety. It's bloody dangerous racing an F1 car in the wet/sunset/dusk.

Bit unfair to compare with Wimbledon. 15,000 spectators max plus a few others on the hill, no noise concerns and sufficient public transport to cope with a late evening finish.

I wouldn't go home, but then I'm used to it. I can understand exactly why. It's not as though they might be able to come back the next day like they did with the Grand National once, the cars would have to go off for testing/the next race Monday morning. I'm not sure when the last abandonment because of weather was, might have been Australia 1991. Shortest race ever, bit of a joke if it wasn't so dangerous, including Mansell managing to crash in the middle of a straight. Basically, the circuit was flooded and it was getting late and no sign of the rain stopping, so they just gave up.

Ivo

Established Member
I'm not sure when the last abandonment because of weather was, might have been Australia 1991. Shortest race ever, bit of a joke if it wasn't so dangerous, including Mansell managing to crash in the middle of a straight. Basically, the circuit was flooded and it was getting late and no sign of the rain stopping, so they just gave up.

Australia 1991

Malaysia 2009 doesn't compare to this!

gasheadsteve

I remember Adelaide '91 well. I started watching F1 in 1991, so I assumed those sorts of conditions were fairly normal. Looking back now I can see how wrong I was!

There was an interview with Nigel Mansell on Sky this week where he talked about that race. He broke his foot quite badly in that crash, but refused to have surgery on it because he was worried he'd miss the start of the '92 season.

David

Established Member
Time to watch the first free practice session of the year, and it's not long started raining in Melbourne.

Darandio

Established Member
Interesting and cagey as expected, seems like the Red Bull was definetely sandbagging.

Although I was fairly impressed by the Sky coverage, they certainly have a lot to improve upon. Twitter is currently in uproar because although Sky claimed no adverts during live races and qualifying, they are showing ads during free practice. As expected really.

Adverts during FP1, 2 and 3 don't really bother me too much, but much of the advertising was of the Formula 1 which I couldn't see because the adverts were blocking it! :lol:

Schnellzug

Established Member
it gets almost as complicated as rail franchises, the way they keep changing hands and changing names and so on. So Lotus is what used to be Renault, and last year's Lotus is now Caterham? And Mercedes seem to be different every couple of years. Didn't Red Bull used to be Jaguar? But before that they were associated with Sauber, who then became Mercedes, weren't they?

Bungle73

On Moderation
it gets almost as complicated as rail franchises, the way they keep changing hands and changing names and so on. So Lotus is what used to be Renault, and last year's Lotus is now Caterham? And Mercedes seem to be different every couple of years. Didn't Red Bull used to be Jaguar? But before that they were associated with Sauber, who then became Mercedes, weren't they?

Not quite

Mercedes were Brawn, who were Honda, who were BAR.
Red Bull were Jaguar, who were Stewart
Sauber were BMW, who were Sauber.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
.... So Lotus is what used to be Renault, and last year's Lotus is now Caterham?....

This season's 'Lotus F1 Team' were lasts season's 'Lotus Renault GP' (as in 'Renault' sponsored by 'Lotus Group')
This season's 'Caterham' were last season's 'Team Lotus Renault' (as in 'Team Lotus' with cars powered by a 'Renault' engine)

It's is quite a twisted tale, but look up Lotus Racing on Wikipedia and you'll get the basics.

LE Greys

Established Member
Not quite

Mercedes were Brawn, who were Honda, who were BAR.
Red Bull were Jaguar, who were Stewart
Sauber were BMW, who were Sauber.

BAR were once Tyrrell as well, and Torro Rosso used to be Minardi (despite Hispania being known as "Minardi" in my house).

This season's 'Lotus F1 Team' were lasts season's 'Lotus Renault GP' (as in 'Renault' sponsored by 'Lotus Group')
This season's 'Caterham' were last season's 'Team Lotus Renault' (as in 'Team Lotus' with cars powered by a 'Renault' engine)

It's is quite a twisted tale, but look up Lotus Racing on Wikipedia and you'll get the basics.

But is either of them really a Lotus? To carry it back a bit, Renault are not the Renault that once employed Alain Prost or Rene Arnoux, they used to be Benetton, who started off as Toleman.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I guess Caterham is closest to the old Lotus team, but actually I think it is fair to say neither of them are really the old team.

AIUI, Lotus Racing were started up with permission from Genii Capital (Lotus Group) in 2010. Lotus Group then decided they wanted their own way in F1, but Lotus Racing had agreed too buy the rights to the Team Lotus name (which had been bought after Colin Chapman's Lotus team ceased racing) from one member of the Hunt family (can't recall the name). Lotus Group sponsored Renault in 2011 with an option to buy the team (which they have). The owner of Team Lotus bought Caterham in 2011 and changed the name for this season.

I think, of the teams currently racing, only McLaren, Ferrari and Williams haven't changed names at some point (aside from sponsorship stuff) and they are joined only by Sauber as teams racing under there original team names this season.

Schnellzug

Established Member
BAR were once Tyrrell as well, and Torro Rosso used to be Minardi (despite Hispania being known as "Minardi" in my house).

And Torro Rosso are sort of a subsidiary of Red Bull, aren't they? Quite what the point is on spending loads on buying a team whose best result in its entire history has been about fifth is, like so much in the world of Business, a mystery to me.

Bungle73

On Moderation
And Torro Rosso are sort of a subsidiary of Red Bull, aren't they? Quite what the point is on spending loads on buying a team whose best result in its entire history has been about fifth is, like so much in the world of Business, a mystery to me.

It's basically a try-out team for the Red Bull stars of the future. It's where Vettel came from.

bnm

Established Member

Their best result is not about fifth. They've had a race victory. Monza 2008. Vettel's first pole and GP victory.

David

Established Member
When Red Bull bought Scuderio Torro Rosso, the idea was that the cars would be the same, so they could get a good idea of how good the drivers actually are.

However, F1 regulations were changed to say that every team has to produce their own cars, not buy/recieve cars from other teams. As a result, it's harder to judge how the drivers are progressing.

So saying that, both STR drivers are worth watching out for this season. Riccardio has half a seasons F! racing experience under his belt, while Jean-Eric Vergne is quick, as demonstrated in last seasons young drivers test at Abu Dhabi last year (Red Bull put him in their own car, and he blew everyone away over the test).

I feel sorry for Jaime Alguersuari though. Dropped in at the deep end when Red Bull/STR dropped Bordais, he has improved a lot since then, especially last season, but Red Bull think he isn't good enough, so along with Buemi, they are sacked after most teams have got their line up sorted for this season. Buemi is the STR and Red Bull reserve driver while Alguersuari has to make do with being part of the radio 5 Live F1 team ....

LE Greys

Established Member
Their best result is not about fifth. They've had a race victory. Monza 2008. Vettel's first pole and GP victory.

I think he meant Minardi, which had three 4th places at San Marino and Portugal in 1991, and South Africa in 1993. 38 points in 21 years. Basically, Red Bull were able to buy the team cheap, inject a lot of cash (something Giancarlo Minardi and Paul Stoddart were perenially short of). And, yes, they did become a sort of 'Red Bull Junior', despite using customer Ferrari engines.

Ivo

Established Member
There was something about Minardi that everyone loved. They never gave up did they? So many seasons of nothing, and sometimes even having pay drivers instead of paid drivers, yet still the pit lane loved them. Apaprently they were the best catering team in the pit lane and were famous for pasta!

Speaking of Minardi, I went through an entire season on an older F1 game and won every race in a Minardi. Realism of racing huh? The driver in question was Jarno Trulli, who raced only seven (I think) times for Minardi. A pat on the back to anyone who can tell me the season in question :p

And speaking of Jarno, will he be missed? I honestly think he will; Trulli trains were always amusing to watch (certainly in his Toyota days) and he added character to any team he raced for. He was never going to be ahead of Kovalainen or Petrov for a race seat though...

Later, that Vettel performance at Monza in '08 was something special. I can still remember hearing how calm Berger (or his engineer, whichever it was) was in telling him he had the pole on Saturday: "You are P1. P1. Pole Position." For a first note of success in 23½ seasons that was pretty understated!

Status
Not open for further replies.