• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Face coverings compulsory on public transport in England from 15 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The downside to this,of course is that asthmatics will now be unable to use public transport as doctors strongly advise against the use of face coverings as it would prevent them from breathing properly.

He did mention that some disabled people would be exempt. This suggests that there's scope for exemptions for other medical reasons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
However it would help if there were vending machines selling masks at rail and bus stations, and rail staff (whether at a station or on a train) and bus drivers had a small stock of masks in case someone forgets theirs.
My union rep said that masks are to be handed out free of charge at some stations from next week.

route:oxford

Established Member
You'll probably find the English TOCs will apply it regardless whether you are in Scotland or Wales. As is their right.
Scotland has a completely different legal system.

For example, you if you were to down a pint in Carlisle, then drive across the border, you can't claim that you want to be covered by English drink-drive laws when you are breathalysed.

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how many people adhere to this; for example, those who always want to carry on long and apparently vital phone conversations. I haven't travelled by train since lockdown started so have no idea of the current degree of covering.

A fair proportion of travellers are now wearing masks, albeit often badly fitting, or of a completely inappropriate type: masks with outlet valves, for example.

SuperNova

The downside to this,of course is that asthmatics will now be unable to use public transport as doctors strongly advise against the use of face coverings as it would prevent them from breathing properly.

Those with breathing issues are exempt.

Qwerty133

Established Member
He did mention that some disabled people would be exempt. This suggests that there's scope for exemptions for other medical reasons.
Have we suddenly decided that railway staff are trained medical practitioners? Unless we have clearly it'd be completely inappropriate for them to question anyone who says they have a medical reason not to wear one, which makes the whole thing unenforceable.

AM9

Veteran Member
Did he not say that there would be specific exemptions for health reasons? I presume that would mean those wishing to use a medical condition as a reason for not covering up would need proof of such a condition.
As far as those with asthma and similar respiratory issues, I would think that if it is bad enough to make wearing a face covering difficult, then they would also be much less likely to travel on public transport whilst the risk of infection is high. Many would be shielded.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Those with breathing issues are exempt.
Wonder how many people will suddenly claim to have asthma.

This new law will have more holes in it than a surgical face mask!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Have we suddenly decided that railway staff are trained medical practitioners? Unless we have clearly it'd be completely inappropriate for them to question anyone who says they have a medical reason not to wear one, which makes the whole thing unenforceable.

I suspect it will be one for passengers to self-police to an extent.

MikeWM

Established Member

...so unless people are going to patrol stations and trains demanding of everyone without a mask to prove they have asthma or similar, that doesn't seem entirely enforceable......

mmh

Established Member
The policy in Wales is that face coverings in any indoor setting (shops/buses/trains) are just voluntary, not even recommended (as in England), so i'd be surprised if face coverings are made compulsory in Wales but that's just me speculating.

By Monday the Welsh Government will announce that they're doing the same. That gives them enough to say they've made an independent decision. They'll probably start on a different day or make it slightly but meaninglessly different to reinforce their independence.

TEW

Established Member
My union rep said that masks are to be handed out free of charge at some stations from next week.
They've been being given out, along with hand sanitiser, at Waterloo since the start of this week at least.

AM9

Veteran Member
I think 'saying' that you are exempt might need to be backed up with a 'doctor's letter' to prevent dihonest claims.

mmh

Established Member
I suspect that it won't be rigidly enforced, just like the "..quarantine..." rules coming in next Monday.

It'll be enforced by the public. If you thought people jumping into roads were overreacting, wait until there's a visible sign that a stranger wants to murder you.

AM9

Veteran Member

Those claiming will have until the 15th June to get a simple confirmation of their claim from their doctor's surgery.

Deepgreen

Established Member
For god's sake, masks do jack all to stop you getting the virus. Especially when front line workers are struggling to get them
Indeed, and they are supposed to be partly effective at limiting the spread of droplets while coughing or sneezing, etc., but not in terms of inhaling the virus. How many people will actually keep their masks on while doing these things? It's a reflex action to remove anything over the face when sneezing. I think it will be pointless.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
...so unless people are going to patrol stations and trains demanding of everyone without a mask to prove they have asthma or similar, that doesn't seem entirely enforceable......
That's worse! How long before some poor person with asthma is verbally or physically attacked on a train?

By "self-policing" I meant people would be expected to comply themselves, rather than going vigilante !

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

You will , no doubt pardon my all too common references to the NY subway - but there was a suggestion that a team of about 3000 "volunteers from city resources" is being considered to staff stations etc to hand out face masks / covering as soon as possible to assist with facemasks and gel for passengers who are not in possession of same. (they are planning further service increases from next week)

The "volunteers" presumably being not off the community - but paid staff from city resources. Interesting (and worthy) idea IMHO.

johntea

Established Member
Oh joy!

Another area that hasn't really been discussed that much is since face masks became a 'thing' I now see without fail several just dumped in the streets on my walk to and from work!

AM9

Veteran Member
How do you suggest that literally millions of people obtain such letters in just over a week?
Millions, are you serious! If it meant that the holder of the letter could travel for free they wouldn't have any problems getting one. :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They've been being given out, along with hand sanitiser, at Waterloo since the start of this week at least.

That would be useful, I haven't seen hand sanitizer for sale since February.

The_Train

Established Member
I can't see the point in it myself. So much science suggests that they have very limited use when it comes to protection and the fact that the Government are giving it over a week before enforcing it (not forgetting the months and months it has taken for them to actually reach this decision) speaks volumes.

Suggesting that they can be made from T-shirts and other clothes is a bit ridiculous as well - maybe I'd prefer to keep my t-shirts as t-shirts :lol: If you want to force people into wearing coverings, then you should be supplying them (free of charge) as well

SuperNova

This, like many of the things this government has done, is wholly reliant on compliance and bar BTP patrols - it is not really enforceable. Also, from my knowledge, it seems that TOC's were blind sighted although there was a feeling this along with some easing of social distancing may be coming.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Millions, are you serious! If it meant that the holder of the letter could travel for free they wouldn't have any problems getting one. :)
Yes millions. According to Asthma UK (https://www.asthma.org.uk/about/media/facts-and-statistics/) there are over 5 million people being treated for asthma in the UK and asthma is not the only condition that will make wearing a mask impossible. Clearly GPs are not going to be able to produce anything like enough letters within 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.