• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Face coverings to become mandatory in shops in England (includes poll)

What is your view on wearing face masks in shops?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Here's a simple solution, why not let each individual shop (or chain) decide for themselves? Those that want masks to be compulsory can do, those that don't can put a sign above the door that reads "facemasks optional here; if that bothers you please do not enter".

Let's see which ones attract more custom.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Quite. If you want to wear a mask, then wear one. If you don't want to wear one, then don't wear one.
But pleease, don’t do this stupid thing of ‘wearing’ one and moving it to your chin whenever you feel like, like I’m sure many of us have observed on a daily basis.
If you don’t want to wear one, just have the guts not to.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Here's a simple solution, why not let each individual shop (or chain) decide for themselves? Those that want masks to be compulsory can do, those that don't can put a sign above the door that reads "facemasks optional here; if that bothers you please do not enter".

Great idea!

Unfortunately, that would be democratic, which seems to be a dirty word in this country these days... :(

MARK

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'll tuck my head under my armpit, as usual, but first ensure it is masked. Best way to be allowed to jump the queue.:D

MikeWM

Established Member
But pleease, don’t do this stupid thing of ‘wearing’ one and moving it to your chin whenever you feel like, like I’m sure many of us have observed on a daily basis.
If you don’t want to wear one, just have the guts not to.

There are some people - myself, for one - who can wear one for a short while (15-20 minutes, it seems) but any longer than that starts to nastily affect my breathing.

So, I'm not sure whether to not bother at all, and say I'm exempt. Or carry on with what is often a chin-mask.

Which will annoy the pro-mask people more? ;)

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I'll tuck my head under my armpit, as usual, but first ensure it is masked. Best way to be allowed to jump the queue.:D
I’ll wear a shell suit, put on a blonde wig, smoke a big cigar and mutter ‘this is the age... of the train’. No mask needed as I’m sure people will give me a wide berth

Andyh82

Established Member

Because there is “pressure on the government for clarity”

initiation

The easiest option would be to make masks mandatory with no exemptions whatsoever from 12:01 am-11:59am, then entirely voluntary from 12:01pm-11:59pm (as on the railway, 12 noon and 12 midnight can be ambiguous). Anyone who wants to shop with everyone masked can do so in the morning; everyone who doesn't want to wear a mask can do so in the afternoon.

When supermarket restrictions were more enforced I had an idea that as well as a vulnerable hour, we should have a normality hour, where all restrictions are lifted and we can shop as normal.

The leaks of future announcements seems to be a reoccurring theme over the past few months, its fairly obvious they are trying to gauge public opinion on it. I just hope this idea gets kicked into the long grass (and commission some proper studies into the effectiveness of face coverings).

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Just come back from my weekly Tesco shop (approx 1930, in England). Perhaps four people wearing a covering of any kind (a full range of types to be honest: FFP3 to scarf) out of probably 100 people in store. No staff appeared to be wearing them. Now for my weekly treat - a finest muffin, sicilian lemon curd variety.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
And it has just been confirmed in the past few minutes that face coverings must be worn in shops and supermarkets in England, from Friday 24 July.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-face-coverings-to-become-mandatory-in-english-shops-12027960

Face coverings must be worn in shops and supermarkets in England from Friday 24 July, Boris Johnson has announced.

Enforcement will be carried out by police - not retail staff - and anyone failing to wear a face covering while shopping will be subject to a fine of up to £100, or £50 if paid within 14 days.

The rules to tackle coronavirus will be the same as those currently applicable on public transport in England, which means children under 11 and people with certain disabilities will be exempt.

The decision, due to be outlined by Health Secretary Matt Hancock in a Commons statement on Tuesday afternoon, follows four days of conflicting statements from ministers and demands from opposition MPs for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
And it has just been confirmed in the past few minutes that face coverings must be worn in shops and supermarkets in England, from Friday 24 July.

I've got a feeling this is going to last for a very, very long time. Knew it was coming but still not happy :(

philjo

Established Member
BBC1 news just mentioned that Police will enforce this with £100 fines for not complying.

mmh

Established Member
The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum. I hope there will be mass disobedience, although I shan't be holding my breath.

Will this require new legislation, or will the legislation for masks on public transport be updated, to include wearing them in shops?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BBC1 news just mentioned that Police will enforce this with £100 fines for not complying.
Given that there is no requirement to carry proof of an exemption, I can't see many fines being issued.

jtuk

Very simply, if this is introduced I won't be going in shops. Online's worked for everything while the shops were shut so should work better now they're open.

island

Veteran Member
Will this require new legislation, or will the legislation for masks on public transport be updated, to include wearing them in shops?
could be either; most likely it will once again be rushed out after COB on the day before it takes effect.

island

Veteran Member
Given that there is no requirement to carry proof of an exemption, I can't see many fines being issued.
I agree; it’ll mainly be people who fail the attitude test or who just blag when challenged.

bramling

Veteran Member
The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum. I hope there will be mass disobedience, although I shan't be holding my breath.

I‘m beginning to wish I could go in to hibernation for a few months to get away from this madness.

Oh well, going to have a spree over the next week to bring forward planned purchases, then it’s hello Amazon.

Love the way the announcement is sneaked out late on a Monday evening too.

alxndr

Established Member
I'm glad that I went out this evening and did a big shop with more shelf-stable goods than usual now.

I have worn a face mask once, for about 10 minutes, as I briefly had to enter station premises. During that time I could feel the need to rip it off my face mounting and it was starting to take a great deal of effort not to do so.
I have no problem attempting to wear a face mask in situations where it feels necessary or appropriate, but I'm concerned about if I reach that point where I can't handle it being on any longer. I'm hoping that my tolerance will be greater than it was the last time I tried to wear one if the weather remains cooler. I don't want to find myself stuck in a situation where I'm not allowed to take it off, but can't bear it any longer. Could I claim an exemption? Possibly, but I'm only just starting to come to terms with the fact that maybe I do have issues with some things and I'm not really ready to announce that to the world at large.

I'm concerned that this might push me back into a state where I will not go shopping at all. When this first started I found that I couldn't bring myself to go shopping at all for nearly two months, until the point where I desperately had to force myself go as I had already lost an unhealthy amount of weight through lack of food. I don't want to end up back in that situation.

furlong

Established Member
So after killing off public transport, using face coverings to make sure it's used for "essential travel only" for the indefinite future, they've now confirmed they want to kill off the high street for all except "essential shopping" for the indefinite future as well. Next they'll be required outdoors too of course (the BBC report I just heard was already making preparations to angle us in that direction). Then, in cars, once they discover the only way to get people back onto public transport is to make private transport equally unpleasant to use, and finally in people's homes too because, well, if you've to wear them everywhere else, why not?

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In a fashion I suppose it's better that this policy is being introduced by the government unlike say the American approach of it largely being the policy of individual shops, in that the government are probably better placed to consider exemptions on medical grounds rather than a blanket "you must wear a mask or you aren't coming in."

Romsey

No doubt the bus company websites which provide exemption notes will be overloaded with uploads. The local teenagers were already discussing how to obtain discharged inhalers for travelling by train. " I've got asthma mister - here's my inhaler."
If the masks are worn as badly in shops as many are on public transport - they will be about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.
As an aside, what about the safety aspect of trying to walk around with misted up glasses? Let alone the constant adjustments trying to keep both glasses and mask in position.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

I'd hope not, but the police don't have a great track record when dealing with people with mental health issues in particular.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

I feel so sorry for you all. All because your PM is to weak to tell the hysterical to pull themselves together.

bramling

Veteran Member
your PM is to weak to tell the hysterical to pull themselves together.

Sadly that seems to hit the nail well and truly on the head. His communications through this have been utterly dire, from start to finish. Indeed so has his visibility - even allowing for the time in intensive care (how many other national leaders managed to contract Covid themselves?) it has felt like he’s leading the nation from a bunker.

Just in the last week BJ seemed more interested in trying to blame care home owners and stirring up a row over driverless trains than meaningfully leading a nation through a crisis.

LAX54

Established Member
I‘m beginning to wish I could go in to hibernation for a few months to get away from this madness.

Oh well, going to have a spree over the next week to bring forward planned purchases, then it’s hello Amazon.

Love the way the announcement is sneaked out late on a Monday evening too.

Funny you should say that, mnay dicussions here tonight, most have said they will go back to online shopping, there is nothing in the High Street that 'we can't get online....and send it back if we don't like it' it will, I forsee, see the end of more stores on the high street. However if it means, .... ending the stupidity of SD and lining up outside Tesco's like school children, then that maybe a v. small plus point ! Not been to a Supermarket since March, well went once saw them all in a line around the car park, kept on driving !

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
I'm glad that I went out this evening and did a big shop with more shelf-stable goods than usual now.

I have worn a face mask once, for about 10 minutes, as I briefly had to enter station premises. During that time I could feel the need to rip it off my face mounting and it was starting to take a great deal of effort not to do so.
I have no problem attempting to wear a face mask in situations where it feels necessary or appropriate, but I'm concerned about if I reach that point where I can't handle it being on any longer. I'm hoping that my tolerance will be greater than it was the last time I tried to wear one if the weather remains cooler. I don't want to find myself stuck in a situation where I'm not allowed to take it off, but can't bear it any longer. Could I claim an exemption? Possibly, but I'm only just starting to come to terms with the fact that maybe I do have issues with some things and I'm not really ready to announce that to the world at large.

I'm concerned that this might push me back into a state where I will not go shopping at all. When this first started I found that I couldn't bring myself to go shopping at all for nearly two months, until the point where I desperately had to force myself go as I had already lost an unhealthy amount of weight through lack of food. I don't want to end up back in that situation.

I have not set foot in a Supermarket since mid March, will go to the local Budgens sometimes, but it's all online now, have I missed Tesco / Morrisons etc ? Nope !

mmh

Established Member
Funny you should say that, mnay dicussions here tonight, most have said they will go back to online shopping, there is nothing in the High Street that 'we can't get online....and send it back if we don't like it' it will, I forsee, see the end of more stores on the high street. However if it means, .... ending the stupidity of SD and lining up outside Tesco's like school children, then that maybe a v. small plus point !

Tesco are (or quite possibly were, now) the first big retailer to be make visible and vocal effort to getting back to normal though, with scrapping one way systems and excess signs etc. They were being pilloried by the "you murderer!" variety of coronaphobe on social media, but as a company stuck their ground.

A step in the right direction, or so I thought, but then... Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.