• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Faded Season Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Apologies if this has been raised before. The missus season ticket got very faded to the point of it being unreadable. I told her to go and change it, which she duly did.
What would the take be if an RPI (and we are talking that train company again) had taken exception to her illegilble ticket ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

Apologies if this has been raised before. The missus season ticket got very faded to the point of it being unreadable. I told her to go and change it, which she duly did.
What would the take be if an RPI (and we are talking that train company again) had taken exception to her illegilble ticket ?

Can't speak for that company.

But as revenue staff, if we can't read the ticket we don't know it's valid for the journey being made. We can swipe it through the Avantix, but this does not always work.

If we can't be sure the ticket is valid, then it would be withdrawn, a zero fare single or return issued depending on which direction the passenger is traveling in, and then a TIR will be submitted for the revenue department to investigate.

The passenger mean while is left without their season ticket, which would be an inconvenience as valid tickets would need to be purchased until sorted with the TOC.

It is far easier for the passenger to have the faded ticket replaced before it gets to the above situation.

michael769

Established Member
One would hope that a member of staff would warn a customer that their ticket was getting borderline before it came to that!

The photocard number on mine is now illegible, fortunately the station names can still be read so as the ticket expires next week I am eking it out.

One guard who did a double take did say there was no point changing it so close to expiry!

Butts

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic my Railcard is really faded - you can still just about make out the detail.

I wonder if it is because I keep the holder in my pocket all the time and the bodyheat fades it :p

barrykas

Established Member
Slightly off topic my Railcard is really faded - you can still just about make out the detail.

Go to any staffed Ticket Office and they should give you a (free) replacement. You'll need to fill a form out, which is the same form used for a replacement for a lost or stolen Railcard. Where it asks for the circumstances of the loss/theft, write "Faded Railcard".

If you've got the receipt it's helpful, but not essential, just make sure the clerk doesn't keep it or you'll be unable to get a replacement if the Railcard gets lost or stolen.

HTH,

Barry

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have had a faded season ticket replaced many times. Sometimes the ticket office staff have tried to insist that it isn't faded enough to be replaced, but I usually insist - after all it is me not them who will be inconvenienced if it is withdrawn!

I have neve rhad to fill out a form though, maybe it's because it isn't as faded as Butts' ticket? Or could it be becaus eI always do it at the station of issue, where they can update my records immediately.

I seem to remember an Encode Exchange Form from my booking office time, but in those days the tickets didn't fade, they only stopped working the barriers!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There is an encode exchange form, which is still supposed to be filled out, but most things on modern TIS are automatically accounted for so, unless the ticket was originally issued by another company, the form really isn't that necessary any more.

island

Veteran Member

I wonder if it is because I keep the holder in my pocket all the time and the bodyheat fades it :p

I have two. One is still fine after five months and the other is getting dangerously faded after two :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.