• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fading Ink on season tickets and Railcards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not recommend the use of a lighter. Quite a common work aground I see up here in Scotland is where the Booking Office have stamped the back of the railcard with the expiry date and initialed it - faded railcards & seasons are quite common unfortunately.
Cardiff Central did this for me 11 months into a 12 month railcard with no problem

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jo0ls

Sorry to gravedig this post, but I thought I would mention my solution. I used some hairspray to lacquer the ink side. I was getting a reprint every month, but I've only just replaced my first lacquer-coated ticket after 6 months - and it didn't really need it yet, I just happened to be waiting at the station. Pics of the Technique are here. I might get identified as a blog spammer now by your forum software...

dmacw

As a guard I seem to come across this on a daily basis. Thing is what can staff do if they can't make it out? Sell a new ticket?

MattRobinson

Both (no need of one before being 18 because I could get a 1/2 price card for within West Yorkshire and I didn't travel outside of WY enough to warrant getting a railcard) of my 16-25 railcards faded quite quickly, but I've never had an issue getting replacements either at Wakefield (issuing office) or Sheffield.

34D

Established Member
As a guard I seem to come across this on a daily basis. Thing is what can staff do if they can't make it out? Sell a new ticket?

One would hope that you'd refer the passenger to a staffed station, and give the benefit of the doubt.....

Brucey

Swipe it through your Avantix machine? Doesn't that reveal details of what is encoded on the mag stripe?

michael769

Established Member

I would suggest advising the passenger that they need to get a replacement before it is completely illegible.

MadCommuter

Since the barriers were installed at Glasgow Central, I'm having to take my season ticket out of the plastic wallet twice daily. This caused the text to wear away quicker than normal and after 4 months TEs were having to look hard at my ticket. To save them straining, I simply went to a non-issuing ticket office and it was replaced no problem. Because it was the non-issuing office it was a bit of a faff around with paperwork but worth it in the long run.

As an RPI i would hold it up to the light (often works) failing that i would swipe it through my avantix. These have never failed me yet.

cuccir

Established Member
The easiest answer is to buy a railcard online.

I sympathise with both staff and passenger here. It would be better if a free replacement could be guaranteed, rather than just likely, but really as a passenger you know when a railcard is becoming illegible - I had one which reached that state and, with hindsight, should have got it replaced much sooner than I did - thankfully staff were always understanding.but they didn't have to be.

Roylang

I sympathise with both staff and passenger here. It would be better if a free replacement could be guaranteed, rather than just likely, but really as a passenger you know when a railcard is becoming illegible - I had one which reached that state and, with hindsight, should have got it replaced much sooner than I did - thankfully staff were always understanding.but they didn't have to be.

Only if you use it often. I had a Network Railcard that I used very infrequently and that had almost faded away completely when I went to use it after several months of it sitting in a drawer. At first I was told it would be £5 to replace it but on refusing to pay it was replaced free of charge.

Interestingly, the rail tickets that I had bought at the same time as the railcard and which were still in the same SWT issued wallet had not faded one jot. Seems to indicate that the issue is with the railcard itself and not the printing. Surely that makes it an easy fix?

Roy

Last edited:

benk1342

Can you give them the benefit of the doubt this time, but tell them to get it reprinted before their next journey and mark they ticket to indicate to any future inspectors that they have been warned?

railboy

I have had the same problem with my disabled railcard with the ink on it fading. My solution is that when I get a new one I will take a picture of it and retain the accompanying letter so if it fades I can show a photograph of the same railcard when the print was legible. My most recent replacement came on a plastic card but I still always take this fail safe precaution because I have had some of those fade in the past too. My advice is to try the same and bring with you everything you have that proves you bought the railcard, are entitled to it etc. I cant promise it will work but it always has for me. I have always found it hard to get replacements free of charge.

Butts

Veteran Member

Wish I could (mature student) always carry your receipt in the holder - that contains number, expiry date etc.

barrykas

Established Member
Wish I could (mature student) always carry your receipt in the holder - that contains number, expiry date etc.

And means that you can't get a replacement if you lose the Railcard or it gets stolen because you lose the receipt as well...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've just had to replace our FAM card which had almost totally faded after just 4 months. The clerk was totally not surprised and I didn't even have to produce the receipt ( then again it was the same clerk who sold it to me in the first place ).

Status
Not open for further replies.