• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

failed 92 on 1S25! (14/04/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

your right it did, anyone know if 87002 did 1M16 last night in the end?....some pictures would go down well:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yes it flew through Bletchley at about 08:15.

There is a picture of the train at Preston on the WNXX twitter feed that i cant link to

Established Member
your right it did, anyone know if 87002 did 1M16 last night in the end?....some pictures would go down well:D
Yes, it certainly did.

The GBRf crew on arrival were suggesting a high chance of it going back north tonight for another go.

Cletus

Established Member
At Preston from WNXX twitter (hope that's ok?)

CCr-ON_UkAE8_g8.jpg

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Well maybe use a Locomotive supplier that has locomotives that are reliable enough and have enough of them not have to resort to some ancient Semi Preserved Loco's, Oh and we have still got the joy's of the rebuilt 73 to come:lol:

21st century railway what a joke.

Oh I hope Transport for Scotland have managed to get most of the Scottish Network electrified by the end of the next franchise otherwise they are going to have a lot of old diesel trains that need replacing not only the clapped out HST's but all those 1st gen sprinters that are going to be kept in pref to newer 170's:lol:

What should we expect on a 21st Century Railway?

No train failures ever and trains to never run late?

At Preston from WNXX twitter (hope that's ok?)

CCr-ON_UkAE8_g8.jpg
looking good
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
5 early into Euston according to RTT. They had more problems with 1S25 last night 90 came light engine from Carlisle????!! arriving at Euston at 2140 left 35 late.

Seems like until the circuit breaker problem is sorted they don't want to use 92s if they can help it.

Could 87002 really work again tonight?!!

Great shot at Nuneaton!

captainbigun

The 92 which had issues, 92033, is now fixed, faulty ETS socket. However three others have various issues.

92s will be used up front, then 90s, then anything else.

Bodiddly

If anything, this highlights again how very complicated the overnight sleepers are to run as a stand alone franchise. Failures tend to gravitate towards the spectacular.
Now I'm no fan of Serco as a company but even I am a bit taken aback from some of the comments raised here. People need to cut them some slack. Serco seem to be trying very hard to make this franchise work and why wouldn't they? Every event that attracts negative publicity is bad for the franchise which in turn is bad for the reputation of the parent company. Seems to me there are a people who don't understand basic business and seem to think there is a willingness on Serco's behalf to run this service into the ground.
That's just not true.

Silverlinky

Most of the passengers on 1M11 (including me) arrived in London at 0938 aboard 1U20 (London Midland's train from Crewe) having been detrained at Milton Keynes.

Apparently, 92028 (my first 92 for haulage) was almost declared a failure at Glasgow and left 20 minutes late. I was travelling in the seated carriage of the Edinburgh portion but I ran out of phone battery at Edinburgh so didn't really know what was going on.

I first awoke for a short while at Stafford where we had stopped in the through line and thought that was unusual. As you can see from Realtimetrains, we had not really lost any extra time between Carstairs and Stafford. The next time I woke up, there was a lot of Mark 2 breaking noise approaching Northampton having been sent that way because of the problems.

I'm not really sure what happened at Northampton. We were held on the through line short of the station from about 0650 until 0805. During that time a succession of 350s went into Northampton station and it seemed like we were never getting the platform. However, for at least some of that time, the engine was being reset as the air conditioning went on and off a few times.

By the time we arrived at Northampton all of the fast trains had departed and the message was to stay on until Milton Keynes. We seemed to fail again just short of Wolverton and eventually limped into Milton Keynes at 0852.

For me, my only bitterness is the hour spent north of Northampton and if any of that delay was down to simply not getting the platform. They don't like detraining the sleeper on a short platform but if we had been set down at Rugby at 0628, we would have been in London at 0726. Having had the train fail twice at Stafford, there must have been some thought that it would not get to London at that time and we wouldn't have had the hour at Northampton.

The "rumour" doing the rounds at Northampton was that 1M11 was diverted via Northampton from Rugby due to the late running, and the driver didn't sign the route but realised he was going that way when it was too late. The hold at Northampton was for a replacement route competant driver to work the train forward and then it was so late by the time that was sorted that it was terminated at MK

crewmeal

So when sleepers (like this case) are cancelled short of their destination are passengers entitled to a refund? Also how does the stock get to where it should, ie Euston in this case?

HLE

Established Member
Is it too late to import some of the 87's that were shipped to Bulgaria?:D

So it seems someone did say the crew who took it south last night said there was a high chance of it going north again tonight.

Muzer

Established Member
It isn't the first time the sleeper has been comically late, and won't be the last time. If it fails, it fails big time. Interesting that it was a coach failure that tripped the loco. Coach failure of one sort or another seems to be a regular failing and it has been for a long time. They are life expired and I'm sure have been nursed along at the lowest possible cost for years. The new stock in a couple of years should bring a huge step jump in reliability.
I wouldn't be TOO hasty. Most new stock has teething problems, so I suspect we'd be more likely to see poor reliability when the stock is introduced but then a rapid recovery to much better than before as the teething problems are fixed.

alexl92

Established Member
Is it too late to import some of the 87's that were shipped to Bulgaria?:D

A couple of weeks ago (I think) 41001 was moved from the GCR by a DCR Class 31. Also in that consist were Project Miller's 3 newly-acquired MK3 coaches and an ex-Anglia railways AC locomotive, which was dropped off at Leicester. I've no idea whether it was an 86 or 87, or what it was for, but we can hope ;)

EDIT: It was 86235... so no good!

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
how does the stock get to where it should, ie Euston in this case?

They probably ran it directly from Milton K into Wembley Yard.

I would imagine that the reason for terminating at Milton K in the end had less to do with how late it was per se and more to do with there being no platform capacity available at Euston when it would have eventually got in.

86401 also to join 86101 and 87002 for ECS duties. Did not know they where any 86/2s left in Anglia

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seems like 87002 is on 1s25 again tonight and 1m11 tomorrow night from the wnxx twitter feed

Is it 1M11 (from Glasgow) tomorrow night or 1M16 (from Edinburgh)?

captainbigun

Is it 1M11 (from Glasgow) tomorrow night or 1M16 (from Edinburgh)?

It'll be 1M16.
Should have never sold off or scrapped the 87's.

If only there was a crystal ball. Reality is though that whilst there's a use now, the train supply demands of the new train mean it'll be 92 or nothing.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
They probably ran it directly from Milton K into Wembley Yard.

I would imagine that the reason for terminating at Milton K in the end had less to do with how late it was per se and more to do with there being no platform capacity available at Euston when it would have eventually got in.

Good point - aren't there limited platforms available at Euston that can actually take the length of the sleeper set?

Bit surprised they didn't find a 92 for 1S25 tonight gonna be intersting to see how many times 87002 is used to bail out the 92s. It could be the last time tonight but if she makes another sound journey there and back you never know

CosherB

Established Member
Should have never sold off or scrapped the 87's.

Over half of the 87s (I think) are in use in Bulgaria, which isn't bad for a 40 year old fleet that was run down by Virgin.

But what about the 10 or so Class 90s parked up at Crewe for years with nothing to do?

Head in the sand moment .....

Virgin could of maintained the 87s better but it was a case of no one wanted to use them including Anglia. At least they have been kept in use in Bulgaria instead of on the scrap heap like some. 86/6s still going strong on the Freightliners so there is no reason why 87s could not still be in use over here even on freight duties or Scotrail could of used them on the sleepers instead of 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.