• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failed Multi Model Interview.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildarmtins

So I went for an assessment at The OPC in Watford a couple of weeks ago and was told the following week that I was unsuccessful.

I passed every other test, so was curious as to exactly what I failed at in the MMI.

Just had my feedback, questions 1 through 5, I passed fine.

Question 6, how is your job like a train driver's or some such, can't remember the exact wording, is the one that I failed. The only one. I'm still kind of in disbelief mode currently.

The reason I'm posting here is to try and get some sort of idea as to what a successful answer would look like so I can try again in 6 months with a bit more experience and succeed this time!

If anyone could enlighten me as to what "criteria" the OPC is expecting me to meet, I would be appreciative.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chris11256

I haven't had an MMI before. However I can only assume they're looking for you to identify what competencies you have in your current job, that also apply to being a train driver.

For example I work in IT. So I could explain that customer service and following procedure would equally apply to being a train driver.

*If i'm wrong someone feel free to correct me*

coxxy

Sorry to hear this.
Did you elaborate when giving your answer?

To be honest I struggled with this one myself but kept on talking about how my job involves focusing on a task for large amounts of time whilst keeping concentration etc. (This helped because I was already in a safety critical role on the railway.)

I have heard people in the past say outright that they don't think it is but then cross referenced it with other jobs and explaining the similarities.

I don't think its a case of right/wrong answer on a personal level but more a case of being able to demonstrate that you know what is involved in a train drivers job role and an understanding of the difficulties that a train driver may face.

Don't let it put you off and give it a another go!

pop79

So I went for an assessment at The OPC in Watford a couple of weeks ago and was told the following week that I was unsuccessful.

I passed every other test, so was curious as to exactly what I failed at in the MMI.

Question 6, how is your job like a train driver's or some such, can't remember the exact wording, is the one that I failed. The only one. I'm still kind of in disbelief mode currently.

The reason I'm posting here is to try and get some sort of idea as to what a successful answer would look like so I can try again in 6 months with a bit more experience and succeed this time!

If anyone could enlighten me as to what "criteria" the OPC is expecting me to meet, I would be appreciative.

hi Wildarmtins
Don`t take it too hard on yourself if it is your first attempt .Now you know where you went wrong and iam sure you will succeed next time .i can understand how frustrated the failure can be especially when you get that far.
I failed my MMI with Southern in April and this was the last hurdle before the medical as i passed the DMI .I was kind of disbelief the same as you but this is life and you have to accept what it brings and move on .This will take a bit of time to get over it so try to not let it affect you . Be strong and don`t let it affect you in a negative way . Take care

ComUtoR

Established Member

What was the feedback. Please be as details and accurate as you can regarding what they stated.

Question 6, how is your job like a train driver's or some such, can't remember the exact wording, is the one that I failed.

What is your job, and what was your answer ?

The only one.

Are they still using a grading system ?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Speaking as an interview(er) myself, I would want to know what competencies an applicant brings to the current job - e.g. transferable skills, what the applicant did and how he coped in a particularly difficult situation, how he dealt with "difficult" people and depending on his answer, knowing when to use own initiative and when to call for assistance, how he dealt with an emergency situation (if applicable in his current/previous job), coping under pressure or with the unexpected etc...etc...

I would want to know more about the person, his/her current competencies, his coping mechanisms in unexpected situations, doing routine/mundane tasks, following procedures, self analysis/reflection/modifying behaviour etc

wildarmtins

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I actually think I remember what went wrong. After a 2 hour drive, hours of testing and the first 5 parts of the MMI, my brain ceased functioning.
I responded to the question of "How do you feel about the repetetive nature of the job?", with..... *sigh* (can't believe I actually said this) "I'm not the biggest fan", followed by 5 minutes of me realising I'd just dropped a teste and trying to back track.
I would put any amount of money on that being where I screwed myself.

Just to answer some previous questions, I'm currently a bus driver and the feedback I recieved consisted of "you passed the first 5 parts of the MMI and failed the 6th part", they wouldn't give me any more than that as it would be like giving me the answers to a test apparantly.

Again, thanks for the input everyone :)

J4mes

I came into the railway as a guard from bus driving, and recently passed an MMI for a trainee drivers role. I linked the bus driving into the responses as well as my guard role so it may well be not enough detail rather than not good enough responses.

Although no that response wouldn't have helped your cause and was probably where things went wrong for you am afraid. Don't be afraid to take a few seconds to compose a structured, coherent response instead of diving right in if need be.

Good luck next time

the sniper

Established Member
Just to answer some previous questions, I'm currently a bus driver and the feedback I recieved consisted of "you passed the first 5 parts of the MMI and failed the 6th part", they wouldn't give me any more than that as it would be like giving me the answers to a test apparantly.

Knowing various people who have been there, this is absolutely the norm for OPC unfortunately.

JohnChuchu

Being a bus driver.....

1-you have to maintain high levels of concentration, focus and alertness at all times.
2-It is safety critical
3-you have to have ability to react to unexpected situations in a quick, calm and safe manner.
4-you have to provide great customer service
5-you have to work on your own
6-you drive same route repeatedly, doing same routine each time
7-you do shift work, work odd hours including weekends and bank holidays
8-you have to run the bus to a timetable schedule
9-you proudly wear uniform being the face of the company
10- You drive complying with high way code and other rules and regulations eg drug and alcohol, hidden rule etc
11-you have to observe and obey traffic lights/signals, speed restrictions, road side signs, road markings etc

And many more

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE ON FAILING ON THAT QUESTION

Last edited:

red2005

Sorry to hear your news mate but like someone else said it's your first time so don't worry.

Another way to look at it is your answer may well have been perfectly fine but you didn't elaborate and go into enough detail about it which can easily be put right.

The other option is that with it being a scoring interview you may just have been outscored by other applicants and that's the question that cost you with a low score.

From what I gather there are fine margins between passing and failing this interview so I wouldn't let it grind your gears.......Some of us were just plain lucky to have come from roles that just wipe the floor with the person conducting the interview as every part of our previous role had everything in relation to train driving.

It's always difficult when you go up against fellow applicants who are from industries such as haulage, emergency services, military, bus drivers, pilots etc as they have lots in their locker to throw at an interview like this and that alone makes it harder for applicants from other fields.

But people DO get through and become great train drivers!! Keep going buddy perserverence is key and you will get there :)

JohnChuchu

Sorry to hear your news mate but like someone else said it's your first time so don't worry.

Another way to look at it is your answer may well have been perfectly fine but you didn't elaborate and go into enough detail about it which can easily be put right.

The other option is that with it being a scoring interview you may just have been outscored by other applicants and that's the question that cost you with a low score.

From what I gather there are fine margins between passing and failing this interview so I wouldn't let it grind your gears.......Some of us were just plain lucky to have come from roles that just wipe the floor with the person conducting the interview as every part of our previous role had everything in relation to train driving.

It's always difficult when you go up against fellow applicants who are from industries such as haulage, emergency services, military, bus drivers, pilots etc as they have lots in their locker to throw at an interview like this and that alone makes it harder for applicants from other fields.

But people DO get through and become great train drivers!! Keep going buddy perserverence is key and you will get there :)
If you meet the minimum threshold they can not fail you on the basis that other applicants scored higher than....you only have 2 chances...they will put you in a talent pool in you passed
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

He said he is a bus driver

red2005

If you meet the minimum threshold they can not fail you on the basis that other applicants scored higher than....you only have 2 chances...they will put you in a talent pool in you passed
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
He said he is a bus driver

Not every company uses talent pools so that's incorrect........Therefore if they have to make a decision of course they can use scoring that's what it's for.......I'm in the middle of a recruitment process as we speak and they told me face to face it'll be done on scoring.

sennaf15

I passed my assessments and mmi for Northern at Deb shenkers in Doncaster. We were told before the assessments started that it was purely a pass or fail and that we weren't required to have an enhanced pass mark. Also Northern don't get the results of the assessments only that the candidate has passed.
During my MMI I was told repeatedly as I was going along that I had covered the required criteria that they were looking for in response to a particular question. I didn't need to complete my answers some of the time as I gave them what they were after. So in my case and I presume for everyone else that applies to Northern your passed or failed purely on the quality of your answer and that your evidencing the required criteria to be a trainee driver.

Bromley boy

Established Member

Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful. It's good that you've received relatively detailed feedback you can learn from, many people get no feedback at all.

As I recall from my MMI, this question is more about how you have demonstrated the skills of a train driver in your life, without necessarily tying you down to your job.

However, as others have said, some skills in being a bus driver transfer naturally to the railway, so I'm sure the example of your job was a good one. This suggests you weren't detailed enough in fleshing out the answers you gave.

In terms of learning from it, I would say make better use of the 30 mins or so you are given before the interview to write out the answers to your questions. You should clarify in your own head how you will use the examples you give to answer the EXACT question they have asked.

Being tired after a long drive is unfortunate, and you cannot expect any allowances to be made for this. A better approach next time might be to book into a local hotel for the night so that you arrive for the interview refreshed.

red2005

Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful. It's good that you've received relatively detailed feedback you can learn from, many people get no feedback at all.

As I recall from my MMI, this question is more about how you have demonstrated the skills of a train driver in your life, without necessarily tying you down to your job.

However, as others have said, some skills in being a bus driver transfer naturally to the railway, so I'm sure the example of your job was a good one. This suggests you weren't detailed enough in fleshing out the answers you gave.

In terms of learning from it, I would say make better use of the 30 mins or so you are given before the interview to write out the answers to your questions. You should clarify in your own head how you will use the examples you give to answer the EXACT question they have asked.

Being tired after a long drive is unfortunate, and you cannot expect any allowances to be made for this. A better approach next time might be to book into a local hotel for the night so that you arrive for the interview refreshed.

Spot on........A good night's sleep followed by a proper breakfast is so important!

In fact I know that some TOCS actually advise it in their letter inviting you to the assessment day.......it's a long, tough day as it is the last thing you need is a fantastically early alarm call followed by a long drive/commute to add to that.

Remember the 6 P's mate.

sennaf15

I stayed in a hotel and still didn't get much sleep due to my room being over the sodding beer garden lol. I was also nervous as hell which didn't help much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red2005

Not good.....only natural to get nervous you'd be VERY unique if you didn't.

Just keep going and make sure you use the feedback......you'd be amazed how many people don't yet moan because they keep coming up short.

You'll get there mate

Status
Not open for further replies.