• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failed Northern assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanG1985

Hey Guys,

My first post on the forum.

Failed my assessments on 16th May and just so gutted.

Passed the bourdon easy enough, passed the TRP, passed the dials but failed Teaocc part 1 & 2. Passed part 3. I am confident I could pass the phonebook part now I am familiar with the test and realise the information is an irrelevant distraction, it's just a case of marking the shapes.

I'm more concerned about the elevator beeps test. I never expected to fail at that part but found it so difficult.

Will try again when I get the opportunity.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chin up mate, you now know exactly what is expected so stay positive and nail it next time! I'm pretty sure there is enough practice material around to help you out.

DanG1985

Cheers92201,

I just feel ready to do it now, I've been in my current job for 11 years. I have the skills required for train driver, and I feel much happier whenever I'm there, I have friends there and a family background there and it's where I want to be.

One thing I can be sure of is that I gave it 100%. I revised all the material I could, just never thought that one would trip me up.

There were only 4 guys there on the day of my assessment. Don't know how they got on.

misschoochoo

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear that. May I ask where you did your tests? I completed mine that day and I was in Manchester, there were only 4 others there and I was the only female. Just wondering if we met?

You've got great preparation for the next time you sit the tests now, so don't be downhearted, you've done really well to get to the stage you did.

misschoochoo

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear that. May I ask where you did your tests? I completed mine that day and I was in Manchester, there were only 4 others there and I was the only female. Just wondering if we met?

You've got great preparation for the next time you sit the tests now, so don't be downhearted, you've done really well to get to the stage you did.

DanG1985

Hey,

Nah mine was at Doncaster so unfortunately we won't have met.

How did you find the day?

DanG1985

I'm a police community support officer for west yorkshire police. Done that for 11 years.

misschoochoo

Ah ok, well big wel done for getting through to that stage anyway.

Well I found it ok, I passed everything and now waiting to be assigned a course.

Hope you will try again and I'm sure you will be successful now you know what to expect ??????

DanG1985

Well done to you. You must be over moon.

I found the other tests really easy, just never expected struggling with the beeps.

misschoochoo

Thank you! Yes I'm super excited to get cracking!

Well now you know what you need to practise and what is going to be coming next time you do the tests, so I'm sure you will sail through them ??????

JCLeeds

You will have to wait 6 months, but you can take them privately with DBS, for a fee. In theory, having the tests 'in the bag' may put you to the front of any queues when a position comes up again as the TOC won't have to find you a slot, or pay. At the very least it shows initiative and keenness. Also, you only have to take again the tests that you failed or didn't take, the rest are on the database as passes

Nick82

You will have to wait 6 months, but you can take them privately with DBS, for a fee. In theory, having the tests 'in the bag' may put you to the front of any queues when a position comes up again as the TOC won't have to find you a slot, or pay. At the very least it shows initiative and keenness. Also, you only have to take again the tests that you failed or didn't take, the rest are on the database as passes

Also be aware if you do take them privately then they will go towards your 2nd and final attempt

Lucky63

Hey Guys,

Passed the bourdon easy enough, passed the TRP, passed the dials but failed Teaocc part 1 & 2. Passed part 3. I am confident I could pass the phonebook part now I am familiar with the test and realise the information is an irrelevant distraction, it's just a case of marking the shapes.

I'm more concerned about the elevator beeps test. I never expected to fail at that part but found it so difficult.

Unlucky there Dan.

The phone book almost sunk me too. The first paper I was looking for plumbers but the whole damn page were plumbers!

One chap marked out of sync on the dials, the day I was there, he failed and had to go home after written tests. Proper sad to see.

DanG1985

Unlucky there Dan.

The phone book almost sunk me too. The first paper I was looking for plumbers but the whole damn page were plumbers!

One chap marked out of sync on the dials, the day I was there, he failed and had to go home after written tests. Proper sad to see.

Yeah thats what happened to me. It almost seemed to easy to just look for double shapes. I thought there was a catch, so I was kind of hesitant. I'm confident I will pass that next time. I'm just not sure about the elevator test, thats the bit I struggled on and not sure how to improve on it next time. I can find visual distraction tests online but can't find an audio one.

I found the dials very easy. Actually enjoyed doing them and the bourdon.

chumpypup

I can find visual distraction tests online but can't find an audio one.

For this I actually made my own.

May sound daft, but I printed off a load of wordsearches online.
Then copy/pasted some lyrics to songs on albums I've never really listened to in to Word documents, used the 'find' option in Word to find frequently used words in those songs (such as 'and', 'the', 'love', 'baby', 'you' etc etc), listed them under the lyrics with the totals per word, then printed them off.

I think I had 10 songs with around 6-7 frequently used words, then allocated a word to listen out for per wordsearch.
I then listened to the songs as I was doing the wordsearches and just ticked off the number of times I heard that word in the song.
Did 1 song per day, so several wordsearches at once, then checked my results once all words completed for that song.

Hope this makes sense, as it worked for me :)

Economist

A top tip for the elevator tones I would say is to download one of the free piano apps onto an iPad and get a friend to play sequences of high and low tones. Worked for me.

RBSN

Hey Guys,

I was gutted you didn't pass but you're a decent bloke, Dan. You'll get there in the end! ;)

Crow238

Can anybody explain what is the elevator beeps test please?? Is that the one where you have to count high or low tones?

The Machinist

The elevator test is a test to count low tones which are mixed up with high tones, then find information in a phone book and finally do both tasks together.

To be honest all the tests are very hard and designed not really to be able to practice but my best advice would be to draft up a revision task card with a method for doing each exam and making a metho pad your happy with.

I really do feel that people who do fail shouldn't beat themselves up as it's very difficult.

bonelorry

Same thing happened to one of my colleagues, We both sat our Assessments in January and he failed on the Phonebook part of the Assessment! The other 2 failed on the Hand to Eye Coordination part with the joysticks.

I got through and was offered the job, I have just finished week 12 of my training and on a weeks very well earned annual leave now after a full day of grilling on my OPR with a DTM last Friday!

I will give the same advice I to you as I gave to him, Don't give up! As soon as you can re-apply then go for it!

Last edited:

Termy

I had to sit these test a while back, when applying with FGW (now gWr, eugh...). I rather enjoyed the elevator test. I felt like I was in my element when doing it.
It's a real shame that you didn't make it through this time. :( Chin up, don't take it too hard. You've got another try in a few months time, hopefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.