• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failed Tea Occ today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen2323

Gutted to say I didn't get beyond the paper tests on my first go at the opc today. I'm really annoyed with myself that it was on the yellow pages bit as well which was probably the easiest of the three parts of it as well. I believe I passed the tones and pink pages!? part which is the one I was most worried about before going in. I think I'd learnt where I went wrong on the yellow so scored better on the pink page even though the multi tasking element must mean it's got to be the hardest of the three.

Got to take it on the chin I guess and wait out the next six months (minimum!) Still very annoying to have wasted a life on what was probably the easiest test of the day...............

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muse29

I'm sure next time you'll be even better prepared so try not to beat yourself up too much. Put it this way, you'll be so much more determined next time than if you failed on a section that you had little confidence on.

Owen2323

Cheers mate. I'll definitely be giving it another go as I've put so much into it this time it'd be a waste not to!

Bucephalus

Cheers mate. I'll definitely be giving it another go as I've put so much into it this time it'd be a waste not to!
I'm sorry to hear that Owen, I failed teaocc too along with the dfft (for enhanced). I'm sure you'll smash it next time.

I have to stress though, when you go back in to the assessments you must pass all remaining tests, even the MMI first time. I'm sure you're already aware of that but I wasn't and learned the hard way!

Owen2323

I'm sorry to hear that Owen, I failed teaocc too along with the dfft (for enhanced). I'm sure you'll smash it next time.

I have to stress though, when you go back in to the assessments you must pass all remaining tests, even the MMI first time. I'm sure you're already aware of that but I wasn't and learned the hard way!
Yeah thanks for the support mate - I knew it's make or break next time (no pressure there then haha)

SVDW995

Gutted to say I didn't get beyond the paper tests on my first go at the opc today. I'm really annoyed with myself that it was on the yellow pages bit as well which was probably the easiest of the three parts of it as well. I believe I passed the tones and pink pages!? part which is the one I was most worried about before going in. I think I'd learnt where I went wrong on the yellow so scored better on the pink page even though the multi tasking element must mean it's got to be the hardest of the three.

Got to take it on the chin I guess and wait out the next six months (minimum!) Still very annoying to have wasted a life on what was probably the easiest test of the day...............
I’m sorry mate, that sucks. Fingers crossed for next time.

Can I ask about the the tones test - do you remember how fast or slow it is? On some YouTube videos, it’s a set of really fast beeps, but on the how2becomes it’s well spaced out?

D Rivers

Can I ask about the the tones test - do you remember how fast or slow it is? On some YouTube videos, it’s a set of really fast beeps, but on the how2becomes it’s well spaced out?
I found that the beeps were much much easier to count on the actual day than in any of the practice material online. Just take your time. Count on your fingers!

SVDW995

I found that the beeps were much much easier to count on the actual day than in any of the practice material online. Just take your time. Count on your fingers!
Thank you for your advice - glad it's not as menacing a speed as the YouTubes.

I practiced tea-occ using how2become and failed it. The beeps are far too slow compared to the real thing

SVDW995

I practiced tea-occ using how2become and failed it. The beeps are far too slow compared to the real thing
I’m sorry, that sucks.

I’ve got the How2Become stuff and think it’s a bit rubbish. The perception test is twaddle (what colour is the cyclist’s top?!), and the grey square test lasts a max of 7 minutes.

I’ll get my husband to carry on his fast pace on the keyboard for the beeps - thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Owen2323

I'll concur with D Rivers and say the beeps are pretty well spaced out. I can't speak for the how2become as I don't think I've seen it but the only one I found on the internet was much faster than the actual test. It seemed fairly easy to count them. You're told to put your hands beneath the desk presumably so you're not keeping a tally and some say it helps to count using your fingers (if I recall the most you hear aren't much more than two hands worth anyway - depending on where you're from lol)

I personally found that closing my eyes helped so my attention wasn't taken up by looking at anything or anyone else.

Good luck!

bruebunny

What I did to practice the keep test is I made a bunch of mp3 files in a music making app, using two different drum sounds. Just short ones, labeled as different numbers. Then I would do random number generators and stitch the first five or so numbers I got with that into a playlist, and do the tone count with that. Better (and free-r) than paying.

SVDW995

What I did to practice the keep test is I made a bunch of mp3 files in a music making app, using two different drum sounds. Just short ones, labeled as different numbers. Then I would do random number generators and stitch the first five or so numbers I got with that into a playlist, and do the tone count with that. Better (and free-r) than paying.
if only I could have the wherewithal to do that!

I’ll stick to poor husband hitting keys using a keyboard. Bless him, he’s made a searching double symbols tests using Excel and a random, repeating formula. That’s tonight’s fun and games after kids are in bed.

If I fail after all of this, you’ll find me drowning my sorrows and crying into said keyboard.

Albagubrath

Hope you didn’t make the mistake that everyone makes and wastes time checking the adverts to see if they are the trade the question asks for!! If it’s a photocopy of a page containing “plumbers” and the question asks “Circle all the plumbers with 2 stars” EVERY advert on that page will be a plumber so just quickly go through and Circle the ones with 2 stars!!
Most people that fail that part do so because of this!

slidingdoors

Hope you didn’t make the mistake that everyone makes and wastes time checking the adverts to see if they are the trade the question asks for!! If it’s a photocopy of a page containing “plumbers” and the question asks “Circle all the plumbers with 2 stars” EVERY advert on that page will be a plumber so just quickly go through and Circle the ones with 2 stars!!
Yes classic mistake. Someone asked the question on mine and the OPC guy said ‘they’re all plumbers..’ so that was good. Also smash through the symbols inbetween the beep sequences rather than trying to do both at the same time. I guess that may be obvious I’m not sure.

SVDW995

if only I could have the wherewithal to do that!

I’ll stick to poor husband hitting keys using a keyboard. Bless him, he’s made a searching double symbols tests using Excel and a random, repeating formula. That’s tonight’s fun and games after kids are in bed.

If I fail after all of this, you’ll find me drowning my sorrows and crying into said keyboard.
I’m crying in to my keyboard - although it was the 2 hand coordination test that caught me out, not the beeps (thanks for all the advice everyone, passed the other tests). No feedback, but I know I went way too fast and out of the track. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if only I’d slowed down and didn’t rush. Never mind, maybe I’ll get another shot one day.

Owen2323

Yes was exactly that - every time I found 2 symbols the same I checked they were plumbers (I remember thinking is a heating engineer also counted as a plumber?) That probably wasted 10 seconds or so. Then every time I found a matching pair I checked it was one of the four on the symbol card and shortly after it dawned on me there was only 4 types of symbol anyway so it was just a case of circling whenever I saw a matched pair of symbols - is that correct?

SVDW995

Yes was exactly that - every time I found 2 symbols the same I checked they were plumbers (I remember thinking is a heating engineer also counted as a plumber?) That probably wasted 10 seconds or so. Then every time I found a matching pair I checked it was one of the four on the symbol card and shortly after it dawned on me there was only 4 types of symbol anyway so it was just a case of circling whenever I saw a matched pair of symbols - is that correct?
Yes, just match any pair. Disregard all other info and match pairs. They say at the start that all numbers are plumbers anyway so don’t worry about checking if they are plumbers etc.

Applepie356

You have to ask yourself was you prepared? Did you listen to the question(s) and did you read correctly? The assessor isn’t there to catch you out and they are typically happy to answer any questions & give you feedback on practice tests.

The harsh truth is these tests are designed so that you either have the ability to pass them or you don’t.

Anthony R

Hi guys, can someone explain to me this pink sheet and yellow sheet test and the key card please. Reading the comments I think I need someone to explain from start to finish how this test works.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.