• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failing Grayling Back In a Job (or not!) - Chairmanship of Commons Intelligence and Security Committee

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Boris is also a bully, because he's a coward. He demonstrates no "steel" in anything he says or does, and he goes out of his way to avoid interacting with anyone who disagrees with him.

It was interesting yesterday to see the thought raised that Boris might seek to overturn the Julian Lewis appointment, which he could possibly do in the House of Commons. It would involve a 90 minute debate, which would doubtless be embarrassing to him in the first place, and it would not be inconceivable that he'd lose the vote. I wondered if the thought had been put about by "sources close to the prime minister" just to gauge the reaction, which was probably hostile, so the idea will probably be abandoned. Even if it went ahead, and even if he won the vote, it would significantly increase the number of back-bench Conservative MPs who would cross to the other side of the road and walk on when they came across Boris dying in a ditch. He will need their support at some point in the future, and the bullying tactics of removing the party whip are going to backfire on him before long.

Boris has now achieved his goal of becoming prime minister, so his overriding goal now is to have been prime minister, in a way in which people look back to the "good old days" of his time in power. That's extremely unlikely to happen. Even good prime ministers generally get remembered for bad things.

According The Guardian, the Civil Service appointment investigating Priti Patel's bullying allegation case has been "moved" because she refused to exonerate her on a particular charge. Oh., the Government are trying to get out of publishing the Report

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Belperpete

Established Member
One of the things that concerns me about America is how politicised the whole process of government is, with Trump replacing senior officials at whim. In the UK, we have always had a much more distinct division between the politicians and the machinery of government. I am concerned that Boris/Cummings are trying to make our system more American, giving the Prime Minister more direct control, and removing some of the checks and balances currently in place.

Belperpete

Established Member
As a resident of Epsom, I can answer this - he's actually a very, very, good constituency MP who is always very aware of local issues and is on top of them. Unlike most MPs, he also tries to show his face in the constituency at least once a week, and makes an effort to talk to the ordinary members of the public.
I have had various MPs who, while having dubious reputations nationally, have all been very good constituency MPs. The days of the Tory grandee who gets parachuted straight into a safe seat because of his family connections, and treats his constituents with disdain, are largely over. Nowadays, by the time they have made their political mark, and get moved to the safe seat, I suspect the importance of doing constituency work has become ingrained.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
One of the things that concerns me about America is how politicised the whole process of government is, with Trump replacing senior officials at whim. In the UK, we have always had a much more distinct division between the politicians and the machinery of government. I am concerned that Boris/Cummings are trying to make our system more American, giving the Prime Minister more direct control, and removing some of the checks and balances currently in place.
At least with the US system the POTUS can only serve two terms or 8 years maximum. In theory Boris could go on to about 2040 - if the electorate and his own party chose so.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
According The Guardian, the Civil Service appointment investigating Priti Patel's bullying allegation case has been "moved" because she refused to exonerate her on a particular charge. Oh., the Government are trying to get out of publishing the Report

This is the other thing with Alexander (let's use his real first name please!). He seems determined to cover up and protect some very low-wattage people.

Failing Grayling and Priti Vacant aren't people I'd stake my reputation on defending.

As for Lewis being de-whipped, to be fair it's to be expected. Alexander chose him to be loyal, and he wasn't. Still, good fireworks.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This is the other thing with Alexander (let's use his real first name please!). He seems determined to cover up and protect some very low-wattage people.

Failing Grayling and Priti Vacant aren't people I'd stake my reputation on defending.

As for Lewis being de-whipped, to be fair it's to be expected. Alexander chose him to be loyal, and he wasn't. Still, good fireworks.
I'd rather call him Boris, as I want the blame to be fairly affixed rather than shrugged off to some bloke called Alexander...

Basically the cabinet is where they are because they supported Brexit. Any competent person who's seriously looked into it should have concluded that Brexit is a terrible idea, so the cabinet members are basically either incompetent, venal enough to support it out of personal advancement, or perhaps have some sense (misguided in my view) that the government would be even more of a disaster without them.

brad465

Established Member
Thinking about the report release, is this likely to lead to a new thread for its aftermath, or will the title of this one change to cover it, as I assume they'll be plenty to talk about (if acceptable on this platform)?

Status
Not open for further replies.