• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failure to Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louise85

I was given a "failure to purchase" form this morning at Manchester Victoria. It just says i need to pay the outstanding amount and they took my address etc. However, i foolishly said that I had boarded the train on a later stop than i actually had (can't believe how much i regret this now). My address clearly shows that i live a few stops prior to when i said i got on.

I just want to pay the outstanding fare, forget about it and never be so stupid again. However, I worry that they might look into it when they see the boarding station and my address dont match up and potentially take me to court.

I know its all my own fault but if anyone has any experience of this, any help would be massively appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Can you confirm what it says at the top/bottom of the notice? Does it actually say "Failure to Purchase" or does it say "Unpaid Fare Notice", or anything else?

Louise85

It says
"Failure to purchase" - You have been identified as trying to board a northern rail service when at the commencement of your rail journey the appropriate ticket purchasing facilities were working and available at your originating station. You have chosen to travel without using these facilities. This is in direct contravention of the conditions of carriage and subject to prosecution under railway bylaws. In accordance with data protection rules your details will be recorded. Having failed to use the facilities provided the fare outstanding for this journey is £.... Failure to pay this amount within 14 days will result in the issuing of an £80 fixed penalty.

Thank you for your help in advance

tannedfrog

It is not unusual to board a train in a village/town other than where you live, perhaps after shopping / interview / meeting friends.

However it is common around Manchester for people to lie about where they boarded the train. Northern Rail have ways of checking this such as giving out "boarding passes" at certain stations.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Sounds like one of the new notices Northern issue. As long as you pay the fare outstanding, that should be the end of the matter.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having a valid ticket before you board your intended service, unless there is no facility to pay your fare at the origin station. Otherwise you will be in direct contravention of the Railway Byelaws and that would be a criminal offence. The next time you will not be able to get off so lightly. Please note that running late or ticket office queues are not acceptable excuses for failure to purchase before you board.

In addition, deliberately buying a short ticket, if caught, is an easy Regulation of Railways Act prosecution that Northern would be able to secure in court, for which there is a criminal record attached if convicted.

Make sure you learn from your experience this time.

Louise85

I have always purchased my tickets on board. I thought it was common practice. Had no idea of the consequences and certainly won't ever be so stupid again. I'm so disappointed in myself for lying. I just panicked. A lesson has certainly been learned.

I just wondered if they go through CCTV or anything like that to determine the station you boarded?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In addition, deliberately buying a short ticket, if caught, is an easy Regulation of Railways Act prosecution that Northern would be able to secure in court, for which there is a criminal record attached if convicted.

And Northern do make an effort to catch people doing just this.

I'd not worry about them deciding to investigate further in this case though - they are asking for the fare you said you needed to pay, so if you pay it that will be the end of it. Plus of course there are plenty of legitimate reasons for you to have boarded at the station you said you did, even if you live up the line. Just don't do it again!

Dave1987

On Moderation
I think both the previous posts are spot on in their advice. Pay up and let it be the end of the matter. Guards and RPI's regularly on our line have fare evaders that claim they have only come one stop. One guy was asked for his ticket when departing Colchester towards Clacton and told the guard he had boarded at Marks Tey (the previous stop), during the off-peak Clacton trains dont stop at Marks Tey! A small minority of passengers will do all they can to avoid paying so ppl who make honest mistakes unfortunately have to be treated the same way.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have always purchased my tickets on board. I thought it was common practice. Had no idea of the consequences and certainly won't ever be so stupid again. I'm so disappointed in myself for lying. I just panicked. A lesson has certainly been learned.

I just wondered if they go through CCTV or anything like that to determine the station you boarded?

It was common practice. Northern are trying to educate people to buy tickets before boarding by issuing these warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.