• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fair advice for daily commute

Status
Not open for further replies.

brynbryn

Hi everyone,

I'm working in Bristol, near to Temple Meads and live in Barry, South Wales. My Daily commute is from Barry Docks train station to Cardiff Central, and then from Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads. I get the 7:45am train from Barry, then the 8:30am train from Cardiff, getting me to Bristol for 9:19am.

I was just wondering if anyone a little more in the know than myself can work out the cheapest option for this daily commute. 5 days a week, I currently pay for a monthly pass from Barry - Bristol Temple Meads, but this is £214.70 a month which is pretty damaging to the wallet (especially considering that it is extremely rare for my return train to be on time, and rarer for there to be seating room available).

I've been trying to look into splitting the fairs between joining stations etc but haven't really had much luck as yet.

I don't know if I would benefit from railcards etc. I'm 24 at present but don't understand if a young persons railcard would help me, or if there are any other options available to get the cost down a little.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bryn

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Your return (SDR) is £13.60 a day, which is £68 a week and about £272 a month. Considering that, you're not getting a bad deal! Perhaps an annual ticket could cut the price down?

A 16-25 railcard costs £24, but due to the minimum fare restrictions if this the only journey you make, the card wouldn't be useable and you would have wasted your money. Annual (if it is available) would be your best option, I'm afraid.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Your return (SDR) is £13.60 a day, which is £68 a week and about £272 a month. Considering that, you're not getting a bad deal! Perhaps an annual ticket could cut the price down?

A 16-25 railcard costs £24, but due to the minimum fare restrictions if this the only journey you make, the card wouldn't be useable and you would have wasted your money. Annual (if it is available) would be your best option, I'm afraid.
Hang on, why does he need a SDR? A SVR is valid at any time on that route and is priced at £10.55 with a railcard.

me123

Established Member
NXEC's site wasn't showing that as being valid :? Anyway, that would save you about £30 or thereabouts (when you consider the cost of the railcard) so that may be aa worthwhile investment.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Accounting for weekends but not holiday entitlement:

22xSVR = 22x£10.55 = £232.10 (average working month for Y-P holder)
1xMonthly = £214.70 (calender month)
1xYearly = £2236.00 (£186.33 per calender month)

brynbryn

Cheers for all the info fellas :)
Guessing I'm going to stick with the monthly tickets for the time being.

Thanks again!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are you getting FGW's 20% discount on your monthly renewals for Punctuality & Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.