• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

False Address & Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
Thing is, I wouldn't see it as threatening. If Flamingo or 445driver backed down meekly every time a s**thead started mouthing off then it would just encourage worse the next time. The kind of thing that they say doesn't escalate the situation (since it doesn't take 'power' or 'respect' away from the scrote) and at the same time lets them know who's really in control.

It's similar to how police deal with arresting people in rough neighbourhoods - they're firm enough with the bystanders to let everyone know who is in control, but not so much so that they (the bystanders) turn into a mob.

If you ever watch nightcops and similar programmes you'll see how the police deal with aggressive individuals and it certainly isn't by inflaming the situation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
If you ever watch nightcops and similar programmes you'll see how the police deal with aggressive individuals and it certainly isn't by inflaming the situation.

Yes and if you see how they deal with it when they make an arrest, it can be painful to the person being detained. Not by deliberately inflicting pain, but by the use of self defence and restraint techniques, which struggling against can be painful.

Flamingo

Established Member
Of course it isn't okay but two wrongs don't make a right and surely it is better not to lower yourself to their level? I assume staff training doesn't advocate using a threatening attitude to such people?

Oh, I never claim to be better than them - just better at it than them! <D

(Staff training is all about reducing the liability of the company, and is delivered by people who may know all the answers, but don't know which questions are important.)

Llanigraham

On Moderation

I suggest you read what has been written and not what you think has been meant. No-one has suggested being aggressive, just assertive. Two totally different things.

Antman

Established Member
So a threat of self defence in response to a threat of violence and a warning that in conducting said self defence, it is likely that there will be pain is lowering themselves to the scrote's level?

It is not incorrect behaviour in any form. I take it you have never been in a position where you have had violence threatened against you. I have, and you have to be assertive back, being passive will not diffuse a situation, and if it has gone to threats of violence, then you're past the point of them being reasonable in any shape or form.

I really cannot imagine the company rulebook advocates such behaviour.

I worked on the buses for years including late turns and dealt with whatever I had to deal with.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I really cannot imagine the company rulebook advocates such behaviour.

I worked on the buses for years including late turns and dealt with whatever I had to deal with.

So what are they supposed to do, let them get away with it?

Notice, I never said threaten violence. I always said self defence.

Antman

Established Member
So what are they supposed to do, let them get away with it?

Notice, I never said threaten violence. I always said self defence.

I would imagine these situations are all covered in training for the job

Antman

Established Member
No, what you mean is you haven't got a clue.
Everyone has said they have to be assertive. Nothing more than that.

Who hasn't got a clue? Maybe the person who inflames the situation and then wonders why they get thumped........just follow the rule book, it's not rocket science:roll:

I dealt with a few situations when I was on the buses in accordance with company policy

fowler9

Established Member
I can't see a problem with what has been said by Flamingo etc. I rarely deal with my customers face to face but I have been told that they know where my office is. I normally ask if they know what I look like and how many people will be leaving the office with me. I then tell them they have been using threatening behaviour towards me and I have their name, address and phone number. Perhaps pushing it a bit but it generally works as veiled threat. No one should be threatened for doing their job.

Antman

Established Member
I can't see a problem with what has been said by Flamingo etc. I rarely deal with my customers face to face but I have been told that they know where my office is. I normally ask if they know what I look like and how many people will be leaving the office with me. I then tell them they have been using threatening behaviour towards me and I have their name, address and phone number. Perhaps pushing it a bit but it generally works as veiled threat. No one should be threatened for doing their job.

You're spot on, nobody should be threatened for doing their job, equally they shouldn't be threatening anybody themselves.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Dececco, I'm closing the thread now as the discussion is about as far away form the original topic as it's possible to be. Should you have an update, or if you have anything further to contribute, please contact myself or any of the other staff and the thread can be reopened.

dececco

Hello again,

After contacting Northern Rail multiple times to give my correct address and name, I finally managed to provide the details last week once the report from the RPI arrived. Unfortunately, they had already sent a letter out to the original address I provided. A new letter was sent to my correct address and I am about to send it back to head office.

My response has been along the lines of "On the day in question I made a very stupid mistake and realised soon after that it needed to be rectified. I have contacted you several times to ensure that my correct details have been placed on file, so this could be dealt with correctly and to not waste the time and manpower of Northern Rail. I would hope that an out of court settlement can be arranged in this matter and I would gladly pay any administrative & other costs incurred by Northern Rail to settle this matter."

Can I ask whether people think this is an acceptable message and tone to use? I realise that in a sense, I am admitting to the offence and that if they wished to pursue it to court they probably will. However, I am of the opinion that it is better to show remorse and responsibility to pay any fine offered. Any suggestions welcome?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.