• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

False platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyBarry

I was thinking waiting room, toilets, etc.

The toilets aren't on the island platform. The only facilities on the island platform for use by passengers are the waiting rooms, litter bins and a small vending machine. All other facilities (toilets, cafe, cycle racks, photo machine) are on the other platform, whatever you want to call it. I thought that had been explained already.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snail

Established Member
I still don't get how Carnforth doesn't qualify just because it has trains passing the platforms not in use. The main entrance and ticket office are there, you have to walk along the 'false' platform to get to the underpass to the working platforms.

GuyBarry

I still don't get how Carnforth doesn't qualify just because it has trains passing the platforms not in use. The main entrance and ticket office are there, you have to walk along the 'false' platform to get to the underpass to the working platforms.

Ah, I think I misunderstood the post about Carnforth then. My apologies to the member concerned.

trc666

With regards to tracked false platforms, Salisbury platform 1 could be seen as a false platform as trains do not pick up or drop off passengers there, it's used mainly for empty stock moves reversing at or passing through the station. Andover has an unnumbered bay platform (next to platform 1) which in theory could be used but isn't. Also New Malden, Esher and Walton-On-Thames have island platforms (all numbered 2 and 3) which are not used at all.

adc82140

Established Member
What about Micheldever?

The platforms in use are on an island, the platform next to the booking office doesn't have any track...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
IIRC you have to walk down the old platform at Thorpe-le-Soken in order to access the station.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
So, for the benefit of the lazy:
Thorpe-le-Soken (very Chippenham like except the booking office's in a different place)
o3241-0000010.jpg

Good shout there Matt.

Ivo

Established Member
I always thought Thorpe-le-Soken had three platforms, based on having been stood there something like nine years ago, and yet NRE suggests it just has an island. Having not been that way since then, I didn't realise what the deal was; now I know :p

Foulounoux

OK as someone who has this week moved from Calne to the south coast I knew Chippenham well.

It is unusual that in most cases - think SW Main Line out of waterloo its the island platforms that were taken out of use. These lines though tended to have 4 platform faces.

But Chippenham only had the 3 potential through Platforms so I guess the powers that be decided that as they had to utilise the island platform for up trains they might as well use it for down trains - but the southern most platform couldn't be taken out of use because it housed the ticket office

The plan is I believe to bring the platform back into use for the possible future Bristol Metro services it is mentioned I am sure in the GWML RUS somewhere - Chippenham would be the terminus of services from Bristol Direction.

So there is hope for it - maybe as they have no track these are orphan platforms

and apologies for making a first post without introducing myself

GuyBarry

Platforms 1 and 2 at Tyseley station reopened a few years ago for services to Dorridge after the area was resignalled.

Anyway this is all off-topic as, they don't meet the criteria as stated by the OP. :p

Oh, I don't care! I think I'll change the title to "unusual platforms" :)

I spoke to the station staff at Chippenham today and discovered the reason for the yellow lines, and it's stranger than anyone thought. Unfortunately I just spent several minutes typing it and the system logged me off (grr!), so you'll have to wait a bit longer to find out...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So there is hope for it - maybe as they have no track these are orphan platforms

Oh I like that! I think I'll make that the "official" title. Hope it meets with general approval.
(Just made several attempts to edit the thread title without any success - sorry)

and apologies for making a first post without introducing myself

Not at all! I'm a relative newbie so welcome.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK, here's the reason for the yellow line on what I shall now be calling the "orphan platform" at Chippenham station:

It is still officially in operation.

Yes, that's right. Although there's no track, it's still classified as a working platform - the reason being that trains can still pass at speeds of up to 125 mph, albeit on the opposite track. A passenger falling over the platform edge could still theoretically be killed by an oncoming train, and so it has to be treated as a working platform for operational purposes. This has some bizarre consequences - e.g. motorcycles aren't allowed onto it, even though bicycles are.

It also means that the yellow line has to extend the entire length of the platform, even the stretch that extends some way to the west of the train shed, which passengers never have any reason to use! (The purpose of this, by the way, is to allow staff to cross the tracks at ground level - the only crossing is to the west of the station.)

By the way, it occurred to me today that no one would ever pass the photo machine unless they were on their way to the Gents. Given that it's not advertised, could it be the least used photo machine on the railway network?

I also can't understand why there are benches on the platform, although I had quite an interesting conversation today with a lady who was sitting there. The whole thing's so bizarre that perhaps it should be turned into some sort of railway museum. It would probably be Chippenham's greatest tourist attraction!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.