• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Family and friends railcard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi all,
I have a question about a journey I intend to make later using a family and friends railcard. I believe what I intend to do is OK but just want to get confirmation first.

Two adults and one child are planning to use CDRs from Leamington Spa to Kidderminster, discounted with a F&F railcard. Both adults are railcard cardholders, but on different railcards. One adult needs to finish short at Rowley Regis while the other adult and the child are to continue to Kidderminster on the same train, with the same happening on the return. If there's an RPI block at Rowley Regis then would the adult who leaves the train there be OK, considering that they travelled from Leamington Spa to Rowley Regis, the full length of the journey, with a child (and a phone call to the child could get them to confirm this)?

Many thanks,
FQ.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The correct combination of tickets required would be as follows:-

One adult & one child returns from Leamington Spa to Kidderminster discounted with a F&F railcard + one adult return from Leamington Spa to Rowley Regis at the public rate.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Many thanks chaps, we'll either go for that or step back a train at Rowley Regis later so the child can accompany the adult to the exit.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Many thanks chaps, we'll either go for that or step back a train at Rowley Regis later so the child can accompany the adult to the exit.
That could then lead to questions about the validity of the child ticket not being valid with the railcard and no adult.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That could then lead to questions about the validity of the child ticket not being valid with the railcard and no adult.
Two adults are travelling, both named cardholders on two different F&F railcards so the child would still be travelling with an adult and a family and friends railcard even when the first one leaves at Rowley Regis.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Two adults are travelling, both named cardholders on two different F&F railcards so the child would still be travelling with an adult and a family and friends railcard even when the first one leaves at Rowley Regis.
I still see a problem there - the child staying on the travelling side of the barrier will then be seen as having a discounted ticket without a railcard or adult. It would be better to only use one railcard and suffer the additional minor inconvenience of both adults being at the barrier.
One adult & one child returns from Leamington Spa to Kidderminster discounted with a F&F railcard + one adult return from Leamington Spa to Rowley Regis at the public rate.
However, I am increasingly feeling this is much the more sensible and trouble free approach. I also feel some staff will feel that all of the group should be making the same journey which, regardless of right or wrong, causes difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.