• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Family and Friends with Metrocard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdq

I will be making 5 return journeys with my two children from Batley to Huddersfield in a few weeks time. I have a WYPTE Metrocard to cover my journey so would I be able to buy discounted F&F tickets just for my children, or does there have to be a purchase of an adult ticket as well?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
There needs to be a purchase of an adult ticket for the dicount to apply, except in certain very specific circumstances. Overall, it looks lie your best option will be to use your Metrocard and just pay the undiscounted child fares as this will cost slighty less. However, if the 5 journeys are over the course of 7 days, and travel is at peak times, there is a small saving in buying 7-day seasons for the children.

pdq

Thanks all for the quick replies, and for confirming what I thought. As long as I can find a decent photo of them both for the photocards, I'll go down the weekly route, otherwise daily tickets.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If the travel is all off-peak, just buy the daily tickets as they are cheaper. If you go the season ticket route, you will need proof of age for the children when you get the photocards. This is because child photocards are issued with an expiry date (day before 16th birthday), whereas adult photocards do not expire.

pdq

Travelling at peak times. Kids are 10 and 6 so I checked at the ticket office on my way home - no proof required at that age.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.