• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

family railcard, first class question

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Quick family railcard question please, from a friend of mine.

Can this give a discount on first class tickets or upgrades? I'm aware that (in general) 16-25 railcards don't give first discount.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Quick family railcard question please, from a friend of mine.

Can this give a discount on first class tickets or upgrades? I'm aware that (in general) 16-25 railcards don't give first discount.

No discount, if using east coast try the group discount.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
...(in general) 16-25 railcards don't give first discount.

For 16-25 Railcards there's generally a discount on Advances but not on walk-up fares.

Just out of interest: where does it state that there are no First Class discounts at all with Family Railcards?

...try the group discount.

Depending on the size of the group and the number of adults and children, could you use the group discount for the adults and Child First Class Advances for the children?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Just out of interest: where does it state that there are no First Class discounts at all with Family Railcards?
On the Family & Friends Railcard website : http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/buy-family-friends-railcard/faqs/validity

FAQ 3. said:
3. Can I purchase First Class tickets with my Railcard?

No, First Class tickets cannot be purchased using your Railcard, except for Upgrades to First Class at weekends (subject to availability) upon payment of the appropriate supplement.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Depending on the size of the group and the number of adults and children, could you use the group discount for the adults and Child First Class Advances for the children?
The group discount applies to a group of 3 people or more; it's as simple as that. It is applied automatically when using the East Coast booking engine.

tivoli

Now I am confused. FGW tell me that there is no child discount on weekend first upgrade, although I did not mention use of a F&F railcard. If I have bought standard tickets with a railcard, is there then an appropriate discount on the upgrade, and if so how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.