• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Family taking an interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Having seen deltic1989's thread about partners taking an interest in our collective hobby, I thought it might be interesting to provide a contrast between partners' interests and family interests.

For me personally, most of it comes from my father, although it has waned a bit with him as other things have taken precedence, as proven last year when we went on a Travelcard day out and he went on all kinds of things he had never been on, in spite of living in London (e.g. 378s, Tramlink). Otherwise, my brother has a slight interest, but probably no more than I do in aviation or cars, and the only other person who seems interested isn't really applicable because (a) she [yes, she] has picked it up from me and (b) she's only 4 anyway! EDIT: See Post #11 for a massive twist to this!

What of everyone else then? I'm thinking families in relation to the one you grew up in, as opposed to the family you started (where applicable).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
My little brother will come out and about with me sometimes (the first time he did he got a tour of the cab of an XC HST!!)

Attachments

• 579462_163078680487860_100003571868915_213567_1360071003_n.jpg
    579462_163078680487860_100003571868915_213567_1360071003_n.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
My poor old mother :p has been drawn into the railway thing from having to support my interests in railways when I was a kid: I used to live in a house overlooking the Sunderland to Newcastle line, and when I was out at school, some years ago, my mother would keep a note of any locos that passed by whenever she was in the house. She still does live there, and despite me having been living 200 miles away for four years so far, I'll still get the occasional text simply saying "Flying Banana" to denote that the NMT has just passed by on one of it's occasional forays up the Durham Coast!

Nobody in my family other than me has ever had an interest in railways themselves, but both my parents were always very supportive of whatever I wanted to do during my childhood.

Established Member
I am also lucky to have a supportive mum who takes me to the local station and picks me up again :)

deltic1989

Established Member
I am extremely lucky in that not only do I have a partner that takes an interest but our Daughter also gets exited at the sight of large machinery.

Got a couple of photos here on of her at the GCR 60's Gala and one of her in the cab of Alycidon.

Attachments

• DSCF0439.jpg
    DSCF0439.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 541422_10150624455511638_525201637_9483924_711251816_n.jpg
    541422_10150624455511638_525201637_9483924_711251816_n.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 36

Johnuk123

Established Member
I have a grandaughter aged nearly 4 who is literally mad on trains.I think it all started when I took her to the lineside to watch trains go by.She's already got her own train set and several items of railway interest.Apparently when she goes to playgroup she spends all the time telling the other kids about trains.

Wether the interest will last nobody knows.

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In terms of having the enthusiast bug, it's just me.

My late grandfather took an interest - and would often ask me questions while out and about, and while watching railway DVDs - which my grandma still enjoys (she finds cab rides relaxing!). I think it's her who is to blame for my enthusiasm, as she always used to take me to Lincoln Central as a kid, so I could watch the trains.

My mum likes using my knowledge to her advantage when it comes to sorting out tickets, as she works away a great deal.

Laryk

Just me and my younger (11) brother. My grandfather has an interest but he lives 500 miles away, so I don't think my interest is down to that.

emorris

My father had an interest in trains and buses when he was younger. I can't really say this is a proper hobby for me at the moment, more of an interest, but when I told him about the forum and a recent trip, he was over the moon, and the first thing he did was take me on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway. lol

CC 72100

Established Member
Well, for me it's all down my dad that I'm into railways and stuff these days. He used to take me down on a summer saturday from Cheltenham - Paignton in the couple of years before the withdrawl of the 47s on Cross-country services. Until November 2011 I hadn't been down that sea wall in probably around 10 years.

It was getting a Devon day ranger for something to do to get out of uni environment one saturday last November that re-ignited my interest, so yeah, you could say my dad in my case :P

Ivo

Established Member
Less than 90 minutes after I posted this thread, I learned something that will change the dynamics of my answer forever...

...come December/January, my niece will have a new brother/sister!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Grandma got me into it, used to sit on meadowhall. They only nostalga i have about railways is the XC HSTs valenta roar that i used to love!!!!
Dad used to take me out when mum was sleeping (she is a nurse thus worked nights) because i was boy who liked thomas the tank and my uncle had a model railway. So none were enthusiasts but they encouraged it.
Partner (at my age its usually girlfriend but its been nearly 5 years so sod its partner) is fantastic at understanding, but she couldnt give a t*** about railways. But thats her loss, in return she doesnt ever make me go shopping :P

Heinz57

Mine arn't interested at all.

My parents arn't exactly supportive. They would much rather me not be in the hobby and blow all my money on booze than model trains*. They were up for me joining the model railway club. But they probably supported that because maybe they thought it would mean I would do less modeling at home. In fact its gone the oposite way and promted me to do more. Again my siblings arn't realy bothered. They just live with it. Show no interest, ask no questions and leave it at that.

My grandparents on the other hand are very supportive of my hobby. Ask a lot of questions and show a interest in how its going. In fact my grandad has done a bit of modeling with me from time to time and actualy helped me build my first model railway a couple of years ago.

As for my uni friends, I wouldn't say they are interested. But when I first told them about my hobby they had a look at my layouts website, said the layout was good and was impressed by what we can do with them. They have asked the occasional question from time to time on how things are going but thats about it.

*I don't even drink. Clean sober is me!

WestCoast

Established Member
I think it was my Dad who got me interested in transport generally, he had a keen interest in aviation when I was young. I'd go on spotting trips with him regularly. We'd sometimes go on the train to the airport and for me that would be just as exciting as the planes. For a short while before I went to school we lived in the Netherlands because he was a contract worker and I vaguely recall the "big yellow double decker trains". I missed them back in Britain :lol:

The rest of the family aren't interested at all, but they will happily ask me about fares, services and times.

beermaddavep

My dad was a long distance lorry driver, that gave me the restless travel bug I think, spent my holidays as a kid roaming the UK with him.

One of my older sisters used to enjoy coming out on trains (or buses) with me, birth of her kids then ill health put paid to that but she used to love the thrash of 37s on the north Wales coast, sitting up front on 101s etc.

Got two kids of my own now, my son is mainly interested in computer games but will show a passing interest in trains.
My daughter embraces my interest, whilst hardly enthusiastic she does prefer riding around in buses and trains rather than the car and recently noticed and snapped an unusual looking bus on her phone to show me.
She loved miniature wonderland in Hamburg too- so there's hope yet!

anthony263

Established Member
I must admit I dont really remember how I got into liking trains I guess I just always have and I guess my interest in buses started about 12 years ago when I started traveling by bus regulary and one of my freinds in school was a bus enthusiast.

My parents dont really mind me disapearing off when I am off work of course it does help that I am 24 years old.

My younger brother does think I am crazy considering sometimes I have been at Bridgend station at 3am when I have gone to London and my sister seems to just let me do what I want.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
my dad to an extent but I have
ALWAYS been 3acinated by travel and transport although try not to tell too many that im another foolish basher.

Was just trains for years and only in the last cupple have buses become interesting. My interest is certainly a talking point at job interviews and my knoledge of certain routes and timings means I often get friends ringing at all times with queries. Best bit though is my wonderful wife to be is beginning to get the bug too!

Robinson

I'll always remember on a family holiday to Italy we took a train on the Cinque Terre line; personally I thought it was dire (no leg room, dirty, everything seemed to be late), but (probably thanks to the curtains and various decor items) one of my sisters said to me "You can't seriously think Scottish trains are better than this!"

VTPreston_Tez

Just me in my family sadly. I might try getting my mates interested but I have a list of insults on what they think about my trains.

12CSVT

Established Member
My dad got me interested when I was about two, and nearly half a century later I'm still visiting preserved railways at Weekends. And he first became interested when he was tall enough to see out of his grandparents' living room window (then aged about 3 or 4) which was across the road from a steam locomotive depot.

Temple Meads

Established Member
A family friend got me interested when I was 4, have been pretty much hooked (save for a break between 2008 and 2011) ever since, but sadly no other family members share the hobby.

Kernowfem

My father and grandfather. Grandad was a midland man. Spent his entire career on kettles. Funnily enough my dad said when he retired he lost all interest in the railways, but my father continued to be an enthusiast. And so i picked it up from him, even as a baby in a pram i apparently showed my delight at any sort of train.

4SRKT

Established Member
My father was a railwayman and still is an enthusiast. We always travelled together when I was a kid, and covered the length and breadth of Britain and Ireland. We didn't have a car until I was 12 and even after this most family journeys were made by train. My mother and sisters were very tolerant of all this crankery :)

Then I married the most anti-crank woman you can imagine. Someone who seems actively embarrassed by my activities despite the fact that most of her friends indulge it and many wish their husbands would have an interest other than the dreaded football that absorbed them and took them away from time to time. My daughter is equally dismissive. My elder son is potential crank material but I won't push it for fear of rocking the marital boat. Unless one of us has an affair, my cranking and my wife's intolerance of it will be the thing that breaks us up in the end.

wensley

Established Member
My family don't really have an interest...I'm not sure how I picked it up...but they're all happy enough with me going out and taking photos. My Dad will normally give lifts and come along to galas for a day on the lineside and my Grandad has been very kind with lifts and has got himself back into photography, getting out for some moves when I can't :) He even brings one of his friends, who is fascinated with engineering,along for the ride sometimes now!!

It has caused a few arguments as I'm always very busy and fitting photography around everything else and mean I'm not at home a lot...but generally it's all good :D

My interest started when I was a very small boy. My late parents used to tease me, about the day that I "screamed Leeds City Station down", when a steam locomotive departed!! I may have been 3?? My father took me to Garforth station frequently to watch trains. Later on, through a colleague at work, he was given a tip about a site (on the ECML between York and Northallerton). Spent many happy hours there.

My beloved sister didn't share my interest. To be fair though, she has nurtured my interest, with railway related gifts (over the years). My first copy of Baker's Rail Atlas of Great Britain is thanks to her. As I type this, I'm drinking tea out of my birthday present from her (a Southern EMU mug).:D

my family are for the most part supportive of my interest. My dad got me into trains by taking me to all the heritage railways or wherever when I was very young, now I think he regrets it partly because of how expensive it is and that he hates sitting around for long periods of time. my mum always liked trains and occasionally comes with me on trips etc. my brother, well those who have been on here longer than I have will probably remember him, he has lost interest in trains, replacing it with photography (he is pretty good at it though). my friends for the most part are OK with it, they occasionally ask for advice on train fares and I've managed to talk a few of them into coming on trips with me so they are pretty supportive about it aswell.

newbie babs

Not having a car in the house I used to go on the odd holidays with my mum, dad and brothers from Bolton station (heaven for me) but it was Anthony who got me interested in trains , we were both 10 sat in the same class, spent summer holidays together. We used to sit on the Iron Bridge just up from Bromley Cross station dangle our legs through the bars and he would tell me which train was passing us.

His Dad worked in management for the Railways so he had grown up with trains and knew loads and I listened intently.

NSE

Established Member
My dad used London transport alot so knew it well, wasn't an enthusiast though. But we lived when I was younger, sandwiched between the Brighton Road and the Brighton Mainline. The only place for dad to wash his car was on top of a railway bridge over the BML. It was after that at the age of about 3 I think that I used to get him to take a chair so I could watch the trains while he washed the car.
Up until I was a teenager it was a passing interest, along with the small model railway we had built up, but with the discovery of the Internet, and the growing excuse to visit friends at uni and from around the country to start taking in miles of track it resurfaced. Only one of my friends knows the true extent of my knowledge, but plenty of family and friends ask me for routes, pricing and help working out the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.