• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Famous Folk You've Met?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petethetim

Just wondering...
SO I 'll start the Ball rolling

Dame Vera Lynn
Micheal Palin ( A real Gent)
George Best
Henrik Larsson
Martin Keown
John Hartson
Ray Clemence
Ricky Villa
Garth Crooks
Raymond Cussick ( the Man who designed The Dalek back in 1963)
Sir Richard Branson
Kenny Dalglish
Ally McCoist
Parky
Gene Hackman ( was not a nice Man at all)
Billy Connolly
Gregor Fisher ( most down to Earth Celeb I have ever meet)
Tony Ropper (Jamesy from Rab C Nisbett)
The Lisbon Lions ( the Celtic 1967 Champions league winning team)
Dennis Law
Pete Postlethwaite
Russ Abbott
Jon Pertwee ( A perfect Gent)
Liz Sladen
Tom Baker
Colin Baker
Thats the ones I recall mostly all for good reasons with a few exceptions

I should add I Managed a restaurant & that is how I came into contact with about 60% of these folk , the other because of my interest in Dr who & Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
Famous people I've met?
Let's see, it's not many, but it's a start...:

Queen Elizabeth II
Duke of Edinburgh
Prince Charles
Duchess of Cornwall (Camilla Parker Bowles)
Chris Hillyard (Royal Train manager)
Norman Pattenden (Ex-Royal Train Foreman (RIP))
Duke of Gloucester
Pete Waterman
The Chuckle Brothers (wow I was young back then....)

That's about all I can remember....

Beaker

Established Member
Some member of the royal family had their helicopter land in the field at my first school, some member of sunderland football club came to my middle school for some talk, we also had the team who created Razor from Robot Wars come to my middle school and they ended up using Razor to crush old toys we brought in, and it broke trying to crush mine :D

Darandio

Established Member
Here goes:

Tony Blair
David Blunkett
Kevin Keegan
Kenny Dalglish
Alan Shearer
Keith Gillespie
Freddie Shepherd
Eric Gates
Joe Pasquale
Leslie Grantham
Toyah Wilcox
Jethro

petethetim

The only famous person I've met was Richard Branson. Almost met Michael Palin, but had to end up working that day.

I found Michael Palin very relaxed & when he learnt we shared an interest of all things Railway he conversed with me for approx 10 mins. a real nice bloke

Craig

Established Member
Not particularly famous but I've sat opposite Ben Fogle on a train from Kings Cross to Leeds. Apparently I also went to school with Andrew Hayden-Smith off CBBC.

Oh, and I know the infamous Double Trigger :p

Meld

Two that immediately spring to mind are Tony Head and Jethro

I spent a few years taxi driving in Sheffield

Tony Head (Giles in Buffy) was touring the UK in Rocky Horror, I got the call to go to the Crucible stage door, arrived and out came Tony in full Frankenfurter gear - a great chap and an hilarious afternoon running round South Yorkshire while he was doing his promos.

Ex Girlfriend was Cornish and knew Jeffrey Rowe before he made the big time. He would go to the hotel that she managed one night a week to practice his comedy for a few beers.

His Dangergoslow on a CB radio still has me creased up to this day - its one of those things he' can't do on stage but for someone else to tell is hilarious and its a true story (Maybe Later) One night he was appearing at the Dome so we went over to see him in action. Brilliant as always. When he saw my Ex he was in his element - a free stooge :smile::smile:. Boy was there a few beers downed later that night think it was about 0500 when we eventually ended up getting a taxi home. great bloke and did it a few times when he was in the area.

He exchanged numbers with ex and kept in touch, a couple of days before he was due to appear anywhere locally to us, he would call with to let us know that there were tickets waiting in the box office for us. Just so he could rip the **** out of my ex :D:D.

A typical line from Jethro would be 'Anyone from Cornwall here' silence in the theatre then he would let rip at her, claiming she denounced her Cornish heritage and must be mad to have moved away. Especially to be with a Tw*t from Yorkshire. yup he used to call me Yorkshire Tw*t so I nicknamed him Cornish C*nt

Brilliant entertainer top man and great company

Gizmogle

Established Member
Oh wait! I saw McFly in Manchester coming out of a gig.
Screaming girls were literally chucking themselves on the car!

AlexS

Established Member
A fair few. The most recent one was some dodgy band called The Enemy that I ended up being a steward at one of their gigs for (bizarrely held at Loughborough Central).

Galvanize

Tony Blair
Richard Bowker
David Maxey (does he count as famous though? :lol:)
Ruth Kelly
Fiona Bruce
Glenda Jackson (well, stood behind her in the queue at Lewisham Tesco in 1996 my mum tells me)
Only people that spring to mind.

My Dad's met quite a few more interesting famous people:
Nick Lyndhurst (1990 in the Devon coast i'm lead to believe)
Richard Branson (actually played music at his house in the early 1980s!)

Sir_Clagalot

Kevin Keegan came into my old place of work a couple of summers ago, also met Pete Waterman several times, saw Lenny Henry at Heathrow a few years back, also Stephen Fry at Euston about 7 years ago!
Also met several BTCC drivers years ago when we used to go to Donnington to see the races there.

Meld

Shared a compartment with Ruth (Hi De Hi) Madoc from Kings Cross on the 0200 - Peterborough one morning - she was travelling back to Huntingdon after her evenings work in the west end - Apparently she was a regular on this train. Lovely lady to chat to.

Took Kevin (Tosh Lines) Lloyd home in the taxi a few times to Derby after he finished his nights work in Panto at the Crucible.

Saturday afternoon coming back from Manchester on E87 Harwich boat train around '79 Alex (Hurricane) Higgins on his way to Ipswich to play a Demo,.

A Saturday night in the taxi again with the east coast messed up the BBC booked a couple of cars to take people from Sheffield to Middlesborough for the next days Radio One Road show - Jamie Theakston ?????? what an ******* I'm the celebrity and you'll do as I like -- Answer I'm the driver and if you don't like it GET OUT

Established Member
Stewart Palmer (hes such a nice bloke, had a nice conversation with him, told him that we dont operate penalty fares at cockcrow)
Pete Waterman

Thats is i think

petethetim

When I say met, I have had conversations with most of the above & in fact had a coffee With Gregor Fisher & a Pint with Big Pete Pete Postlethwaite , & I also forgot to mention Frank Carson ( who was an Old Neighbour) as was Gerry Fitt ( Lord Fitt of Bellshill) ,but I spoke with them that often they two had no novilety value for me.

mrcheek

Established Member
Tony Head (Giles in Buffy) was touring the UK in Rocky Horror, I got the call to go to the Crucible stage door, arrived and out came Tony in full Frankenfurter gear - a great chap and an hilarious afternoon running round South Yorkshire while he was doing his promos.

"Tony Head"? surely you mean "Anthony Stewart Head"!

I havent met many famous people at all. In fact, I cant think of any. except for Anthony Stewart Head, who I see often. He lives in Bath, and has visited Weston-super-Mare Grand Pier (where I work) several times. He also has a really cute daughter......

Oh yeah, I suddenly remembered I met Jake The Snake Roberts. lousy drunk... and Hulk Hogan's nephew. actually loads of other wrestlers, including that guy who was on a kids tv show on BBC yesterday.

Oh, and I've also met "Sergeant Cheek", a character from the game Call of Duty 2. he's named after my brother, a computer graphic artist designer type thing for Activision.

Guinness

Established Member
Played Snooker with John Parrot a year ago at a holiday camp. Lost miserably.

mbonwick

Established Member
Princess Alexandrea (I think - I know it was someone royal!)
Tony B.Liar
Ruth Kelly

Snapper

Established Member
Tony Blair
Gordon Brown
Alistair Darling
Ken Livingstone
Princess Anne
Prince Charles
Sir Richard Branson
Lord David Puttnam
Gerry Anderson (creator of Thunderbirds)
Lord Melvyn Bragg
Dame Shirley Conran
Esther Rantzen
Trudi Goodwin (WPC Ackland off the Bill)
Emma Thompson
Phillida Law
Sean Hughes
Mike Figgis (Film Director)
Saffron Burrows (Actress)
Claire Francis (yachtswoman and Author)
Bob Geldorf
Susan Sarandon
Tim Robbins

- and various others whom I can’t remember off the top of my head.

I get to meet them because of my work as a photographer.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Oh, really? Where do I sign up? :p
I really want to meet famous people now. I've seen McFly and Gail from Corrie. Not exactly much to be proud of. Although, LittleRedTrain was on TV! :D And Damon and Steven Karahan for that matter!

David

Established Member
Played Snooker with John Parrot a year ago at a holiday camp. Lost miserably.

Same happened to me when I played Jimmy White earlier this year. He visited Rileys to hold a demo evening, and took on all comers....

I managed a break of 8, despite a lot of cheating. He then cleared up with a 107 ....

Status
Not open for further replies.