• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Famous People On Trains / Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelly_Diesel

Who is the most famous person / persons have you encountered on trains or railway stations? Mine is England rugby union full back, Chester's own Ben Foden at...you guessed it, CHESTER!!! He was on a 508 from Liverpool that I was on.
I'm not a RU fan (I'm a league man), but I know what he looks like from seeing him and one of the Saturday's falling out of a London pub in a newspaper.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trc666

Alastair Stewart regularly passes through London Waterloo, and I've also helped Patsy Kensit find a train going to Axminster before.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Colin Charvis (Welsh rugbyist)
Becky James (Welsh cyclist)
Greg Davies (comedian)
Dafydd Wigley (Plaid leader)
Ieuan Wyn Jones (Plaid leader)

Plus I shared a table with Dr David Bull and a BBC production team all the way from Bristol to Truro, and had a very interesting conversation with them given that I was doing a media degree at the time!

Bungle73

On Moderation
I came across them filming EastEnders at Waterloo once. There was Michael French and another female member of the cast. I forget who. I'm sure you'd know if you remember the story line.

I was on SET HS train the other week, and sitting in one of the seats in front of me was a journalist from The Guardian, but I forget who.

Established Member
Recently saw John Darwin (aka Canoe Man) getting on a train with his bike at Brigg in Lincolnshire.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Who's gong to be the first to say they've seen Michael Portillio? :D

Established Member
Was the bike found and him nowhere to be seen?

Nah, he only got as far as Gainsborough this time (not Panama). Probably the person I was least expecting to board at Brigg (well, in truth I wasn't expecting anyone to board).

Clip

Established Member
Paul Gascoigne(all the bloody time)
Lord Coe
The Queen
Jimmy Saville

CosherB

Established Member
Brian Redhead. Used to be a regular on a Friday afternoon Euston to Macclesfield, in 1st.

I've seen a lot:
Michael Portillo.
Tyger-Drew Honey (or someone who looks a lot like him).
Boris Johnson.
Stephen Fry.
Tanni-Grey Thomson.
Matt Alright.
Lewis Hamilton!
James May.
Steve Coogan (filming Alan Partridge at Norwich).
and Richard Branson.

bgstrowger

I once saw commentating legend Murray Walker on a train to Salisbury. I also had a short discussion with him on the F1 season for that year too!

sonic2009

Established Member
Emile Heskey on board a Virgin Pendolino this thursday just gone.. didnt have a ticket and bought on board :P First of course.

Smelly_Diesel

Emile Heskey on board a Virgin Pendolino this thursday just gone.. didnt have a ticket and bought on board :P First of course.

On a non-railway related note, I used to catch the same bus home from school as Heskey's other half? Chantelle (?) Tagoe.

johnnychips

Established Member
Toke Townley, who used to play Mr Sugden on Emmerdale Farm - helped him find way out of Manchester Vic. And Joan Collins, who was for some inexplicable reason travelling from Stockport to Stoke - first class of course

old thumper

i saw Michael Atherton at paddington going to taunton to commentate on the cricket match there.

Arthur Mullard (comic actor) on a District Line train,
Zia Mahmood (world class Bridge player) on same GNER train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh,
Charles Kennedy and Malcolm Rifkind at Euston going to their constuencies at the Xmas recess on overnight trains,
NUT leader Doug MacAvoy at Kings Cross,
Max Clifford - he was leaving Waterloo as I was going in,
Vic Reeves on a GNER train - he was wandering up to coach A for a ciggie,

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Perhaps I should refer to some authority to clarify what is meant by "famous".

It isn't clear to me that fame corresponds to popularity.

There's only been one response on this thread so far whose named personna would qualify for 'fame' in my mind. What am I missing?
(Or do I not really want to know?)

I wonder how many celebrities I've seen yet not recognised/heard of.

Waddon

Ian McDiarmid, AKA Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars... In first class on the adjacent table all the way from London to Scotland

Celia Imrie
Sayed off of the Apprentice
The late George Melly (in red suit, at East Croydon)
Evan Davies (Dragons Den presenter)

oh yeah, and John Prescott on the Croydon Tramlink before it opened to the public

Status
Not open for further replies.