• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Famous people on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DuncanS

One of my driver colleagues tweeted recently he had Michael Portillo on his train. He was travelling from Newcastle to Durham as part of another Bradshaw series he is currently filming. Let's hope they get the continuity right this time ;)

I came across him last Wednesday at Stirling station, I was enroute to Aberdeen and he was going to Gleneagles so we on the same train for a wee while. Filming in Stirling both sides of the ticket gates and then on the platform at Gleneagles as we pulled out of the station.

LancsLady

Recently on different trains Robert Carlyle, Al Murray and Mark Lawrenson - I try very hard not to be fazed by celebrity but being a massive fan of Trainspotting and meeting Begbie on a train had a nice serendipity to it

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Is he sat on the floor complaining again. Peak time Friday

No.

Sent someone ahead of him to find a seat it seems. One guy walked through train to coach B and then found a table of unreserved seats. Called someone and then Jeremy and another guy walked through.

During the journey a couple of PA calls for train manager to speak to other member of staff. Said train manager then came up to Jeremy to talk to him and introduced herself.

Train was pretty quiet at least when I got off in Cardiff. Was the 15.29 from Swansea.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Jez seems to like travelling by train. I saw him at Liverpool Lime Steet a couple of years back.

Saw Jamie vardy and the Leicester team board a train on the way to the arsenal game the season they won the premier leauge a few years back

andythebrave

Many years ago I boarded a Littlehampton to Victoria service at Gatwick. After sitting down I became aware that Patrick Moore was in the opposite seat reading a book.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
One of my greatest regrets is not engaging in conversation (about anything at all!) with Patrick Moore when sitting opposite him from Haywards Heath to Victoria many moons ago (see what I did there?).

And Yorkie.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
One of my greatest regrets is not talking to Ludovic Kennedy - an old man then and caught in some disruption at Paddington one horrible winters evening. A great admirer of his writing and attempts to get justice for a number of people (Timothy Evans being one) , I should have made the effort to look after him and thank him for his sterllng efforts.

johnnychips

Established Member
I saw Joan Collins take a train from Stockport to Stoke in the late 70s. She sat in first class. Bizarre - you’d think she could afford a taxi. Also helped Toke Townley who played grandad in ‘Emmerdale Farm’ as it was then find his way out of Manchester Victoria.

Lord Longford a long while ago on the District Line of the London Underground. He had an old person’s pass that I think said Longford, Lord, but I may be making that up.

More recently, but still a few years ago, Micheal Schumacher in first class on a train to Zurich. It was the September before his skiing accident. The train had come from Geneva, we got on at Yverdon-les-Bains. A few people, including the train staff did double takes. We couldn’t work out which Schumacher it was.

HOOVER29

Seen David Cameron & his lovely wife Samantha at Plymouth.
Couldn’t take my eyes off her, she’s a looker.

A couple of the cast from Doc Martin on Bodmin Parkway waiting for a Paddington bound service

Last year saw the man who never ages John Cravern at Reading heading for the West Country

About 30 years ago on a class 73 Gatwick express jolly noted Sir Patrick Moore at Gatwick airport.
Very polite if slightly weird gentleman.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
More recently, but still a few years ago, Micheal Schumacher in first class on a train to Zurich. It was the September before his skiing accident. The train had come from Geneva, we got on at Yverdon-les-Bains.
Did he order the driver to crash into all the trains in front of him or did the signalers order all the trains to obviously let his past at the station he got off at?
A few people, including the train staff did double takes. We couldn’t work out which Schumacher it was.
Simple, ask them how the 2005 US GP went.

Did he order the driver to crash into all the trains in front of him or did the signalers order all the trains to obviously let his past at the station he got off at?

Simple, ask them how the 2005 US GP went.
I’m sure there a joke there, but it’s passed me by.

duffield

Established Member
I’m sure there a joke there, but it’s passed me by.

You need to be a Formula One follower from the Schumacher days to get it. It refers to some of his and his team's very dubious 'tactics'. Despite being a bit of an F1 nut myself I can't say it made me laugh given what happened to MS, but maybe I'm just being po-faced and over-sensitive.

stj

Spotted another Labour lame duck leader years ago on a Kings Cross Edinburgh,Michael Foot.

Terry Tait

I saw Tom Baker (1970s Dr Who) on the train at Sevenoaks a few years ago, 2nd Class as well.

Taunton

Established Member
One of my greatest regrets is not talking to Ludovic Kennedy - an old man then and caught in some disruption at Paddington one horrible winters evening. A great admirer of his writing and attempts to get justice for a number of people (Timothy Evans being one) , I should have made the effort to look after him and thank him for his sterllng efforts.
Ludo was a significant rail enthusiast and wrote several books on it.

Whisky Papa

Mark Charnock (Marlon Dingle in Emmerdale) on a mid-morning York-Harrogate service a few years ago.

Also from Emmerdale where he portrays Eric Pollard, I sold Eric Chittell an Advance ticket to Glasgow probably the same year, although I didn't actually see him on the day he travelled.

Bungle158

Will Young, regularly when l worked High Speed...yeah l know :) in Cornwall. He used to get on at Bodmin PW. Used to stash him right up in H, where the sleeper crews would travel when on the cushions. That didn't stop a procession of ladies of a certain age trying to get through First to "have a look at him." Nice guy, always friendly, no airs n graces and always a thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.