• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Famous people you've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Badger

Was on a Shrewsbury train opposite a famous Actor. Well, he claimed to be a famous Actor. You know the type, strong voice, pompous, etc. He was going on about all the people he's worked with and how it was a privalege for us to meet him. Quite happy that, well, nobody there knew who on Earth he was but him :p

Stood in a queue behind Rik Mayall. Where hasn't he been though, woof!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Was on a Shrewsbury train opposite a famous Actor. Well, he claimed to be a famous Actor. You know the type, strong voice, pompous, etc. He was going on about all the people he's worked with and how it was a privalege for us to meet him. Quite happy that, well, nobody there knew who on Earth he was but him :p

Hmm, perhaps he's the same chap whose name I couldn't recall!

In my earlier post I forgot to mention the lovely conversation I had one night with one of the Nolan Sisters. As I was a bit the worse for wear, I can't remember which oen it was, except it was one of the dark haired ones. Actually, I can't even remember what we talked about. I've stopped drinking vodka now.

Crossover

Established Member
People I have seen:
Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May and The (Old) Stig (TG Live a few years ago), Suzi Perry, Jason Bradbury, Jon Bentley and Ortis Deley (Gadget Show Live a few years ago) and Elton John. I have probably also seen a few famous jockeys before without realising, though I do know I have been within a fairly small distance of John Whittaker at an exhibition in Birmingham...got a picture of him chatting to someone I know, though I never went to speak to him

I have also seen (if you could call them famous...I'm not sure) the Norwich Canaries who spent about 5 days staying in the same hotel as my family a few years back...incidentally it was on the last day they were there (as well as us) as news came about that their manager had been sacked...there were a lot of people running around the hotel on phones that morning! One of them (I believe it was one of the football people anyway) had a very nice Audi R8 parked in the car park too :D

People I have met:
This one is short as I can only think of these two...
Peter Purves at Crufts quite a few years ago
Ed Balls MP - he was speaker/presenter at an awards evening at my school a few years ago (while he was one of the local MP's and Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families). Having received a couple of awards, I actually met him a couple of times briefly on stage.
The one thing that a few of us will probably remember from that evening was the point he realised he was stood by a mic giving his speech while he had his mobile in his pocket...not wanting it to interfere with the sound system he promptly removed it from his pocket and sent it in the direction of one of our Deputy Headteachers, who hadn't got a clue what best to do with it!!!

William Hague, David Milliband, Ed Balls, Lesley Garrett, Jono Lancaster, Julia Lennon, various local MP's, Clint Boon of the Inspiral Carpets and many more that I can't even remember.

Lampshade

Established Member
I've met Ross Brawn, he was getting an honourary Doctorate at my graduation :D

Had the opportunity to meet Beverley Knight the other day but there was a free buffet with Champagne... :|

Heinz57

Sounds like a perfect contestant for 'I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here'

4SRKT

Established Member
Despite my advancing years I've not seen many famous people. Discounting things like musicians at gigs I've been to or football players on the pitch, my pitiful list is:

Jimmy Savile (in a cafe in Scarborough)
John Prescott (stuffing himself in First Class on a GNER working to Doncaster in 1999)
Ian Paisley (many times 'preaching' into a bad PA outside Belfast City Hall)
Marlene off of OFAH shopping in Windsor
Kate O'Mara also shopping in Windsor but not on the same day
Michael Franti out of the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy in a pub in Dublin (was talking to him :))
That actor out of Coronation Street and The Full Monty who lives in Shipley
Doctor Legg on a train from London to York in BR days (in second class, so much for the BBC overpaying its 'talent')

My wife has served Jimmy Page in a shop, which is almost as cool as talking to Michael Franti in a pub.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Met Bill Bailey (again) last week. Had a good old chat with him an' all.

I was nearly run over by Debbie McGee in London. I was walking on the pavement, stepped out onto one of those small side streets / building access roads, and a gold car with the reg DMG xxx came within inches of my legs. Looked at the driver; twas indeed her, she waved an apology and waved me across.

Ivo

Established Member
I've just thought of another one actually. I went to an award ceremony in May last year and met much of the Bath City team just after promotion to the conference. I know it's not much, but I did get to shake the hands of both the Manager and then-Chairman, which was something.

Schnellzug

Established Member
have i seen anyone from the world of Football? I suppose I may have done, but I don't suppose I'd recognise anyone apart from the usual crowd who are in the papers all the time. And I don't suppose I've seen any of them, since I don't think I've seen that many tastelessly customised Bentleys and Lamborghinis.

Status
Not open for further replies.