• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

fancy a day riding around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

insane_lewis

i am planning to get a london all zones travel card tomorrow and fancy seeing some trains that i dont get to see often down here in south london, all i get to see are trains operated by southern.

is rainham any good on a sunday to see the eurostar and javelin?

maybe someone can also suggest somewhere i am likely to see some HST's at speed or at all?

or is sunday generally not a good day?

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
Dagenham Dock (westbound platform) is quite a good vantage point for HS1, although no good for photos due to high fences. A word of caution - this part of East London isn't exactly the sort of place you'd want to hang around too long or have expensive cameras on view.

For HSTs Acton Main Line is highly recommended (but no Sunday service), although of course all the other GWML stations in the travelcard zones have a Sunday service.

Skymonster

Established Member
maybe someone can also suggest somewhere i am likely to see some HST's at speed or at all?

Plenty of HSTs about:

GWML/FGW: Paddington - or at Ealing Broadway or Acton Mainline on the Great Western Main Line
MML/EMT: St.Pancras - or at Kentish Town, West Hampstead Thameslink or Cricklewood on the MIdland Main Line
ECML/EC: Kings Cross - or (Finsbury Park,...?) on the East Coast Main Line

I suggest the GWML / FGW is likely to have the most HSTs

insane_lewis

And I take these are all available via travel card? Sorry being thick here lol, and I'm hoping to become a driver lol

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
All the stations 12CSVT listed are included in the Zone 1-6 Travelcard area, yes.

colchesterken

I like Harrow & Wealdstone for pendo spotting they run through the middle road at full speed , standing on the platform when they go by at 125 is awsome

Not sure but I think Rainham is out of zone 6 I always use the footbridge at Dagenham Dock. Its O K bus as you are high up there is little sence of speed

alexandali

Rainham C2C is in Zone 6 and the footbridge over HS1 is a good place to see euro* and javelins. Try changing at Barking and using the Overground for a bit of variety. Alexandra Palace is good for the ECML and Willesden Junction for pendo's and a variety of other services.

Pen Mill

Hornsey (Zone 3) on the ECML is good for HST / 91s and 365s at speed .
The fast lines are far enough away from the platforms to get good photos.

Safety365

For HSTs Acton Main Line is highly recommended (but no Sunday service), although of course all the other GWML stations in the travelcard zones have a Sunday service.

I normally get annoyed at the pedants, but today I will be one of them.
There is no Sunday service from West Ealing.
Anyone know why?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
And sunday is the worst day your better weekdays if you can.... more trains midweek. The suggestions listed above are good and would love to do any of them.

insane_lewis

Thanks, but the problem I have is I work 6 days a week and Sunday is my only day off.

Although saying that I am in London next Friday so hopefully of
It's not too busy with stupid Olympics stuff I might try and get to a few stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.