• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare advice for Helsby to Alfreton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm needed in Alfreton tomorrow and am looking for some fare advice and see if I can beat £20.60 for an off-peak return from Helsby to Manchester then an off-peak return from Manchester to Alfreton. I am going at around 7 in the morning from Helsby and leaving on Sunday the 9th at around 6 in the evening.
It will be just 1 child going.

Thats the cheapest I could get, I don't want advances as I want some flexibility but I am looking for the cheapest combination of anytime or off-peak returns. I have tried trainscanbecheaper but that is useless.

Thanks for all the help :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi all,

I'm needed in Alfreton tomorrow and am looking for some fare advice and see if I can beat £20.60 for an off-peak return from Helsby to Manchester then an off-peak return from Manchester to Alfreton. I am going at around 7 in the morning from Helsby and leaving on Sunday the 9th at around 6 in the evening.
It will be just 1 child going.

Thats the cheapest I could get, I don't want advances as I want some flexibility but I am looking for the cheapest combination of anytime or off-peak returns. I have tried trainscanbecheaper but that is useless.

Thanks for all the help :)

I think it is rail replacement buses between Manchester and Helsby on Sunday.

sonic2009

Established Member
Off Peak return Helsby - Alfreton ANY PERMITTED £19.75 for a child is cheaper than splitting at Manchester.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Hi, I have set on a £19.75 off-peak return from Capenhurst to Alfreton. Am I able to use it to travel via Liverpool both ways changing at Central and walking to Lime Street?

Thanks for all the help :D

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Hi, I have set on a £19.75 off-peak return from Capenhurst to Alfreton. Am I able to use it to travel via Liverpool both ways changing at Central and walking to Lime Street?

Thanks for all the help :D

I don't actually think it is permitted, as Hooton fails fares check for Capenhurst on this occasion. That said, I think via Liverpool is an entirely reasonable thing to do and requires only one change so I doubt you will be questioned.

kieron

Established Member
No, but if you had a £18.85 Neston-Alfreton return instead, you would be able to. You may start short at Capenhurst if you wish.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Ah thanks. I have used a Capenhurst-Alfreton via Liverpool before after I was given that itinerary by NRE, but I'm asking about exiting at Liverpool Central and walking to Lime street.

Anyway, got the ticket and worked my way to Alfreton by using guards itineries and memory of timetables. Went via Crewe and Stockport. A northern RPI didnt seem to have any knowledge of either Capenhurst or Alfreton!

Cheers for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.