• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare Advice Please, Manchester-Cornwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuwhu

Hello, could anyone suggest a cheap way for the following journey for 2 people please

Manchester-Penzance on the 21st April, would like to arrive before 7pm. Returning anytime on the 28th after 9am.

The cheapest I have found so far is via Newport & Bristol priced at £42.50. I have tried splits at Birmingham and Bristol, but doesn't seem to be any cheaper.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

You do realise that's a single fare for 1 don't you? It's not at all bad though.

You could try splitting at Cheltenham Exeter and/or Plymouth as well as Bristol and Brum on the more direct route. Though those splits are more use for walk on tickets than advance

Established Member
If that £42.50 ticket is an advance, then it is unlikely to get any cheaper and I'd suggest booking it as soon as possible.

osborn99

I've got it down to £49 return but involves the bus and arriving at 19:24 and a lot of travelling but a saving of £72. Nationalexpress.com do fun fares. Here are national express times:

07:20 Manchester - Birmingham 10:20 = £5.5
11:00 Birmingham - Bristol 13:00 = £6.5
13:30 Bristol - Exeter 15:35 = £6.5

Then the advance train to penzance is £6

Same coming back except times

You could do this journey the day before spend a night in a hotel and still be £30 cheaper than the train and you would have a free day out

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I'm not sure that ANY amount of saving would entice me to try a bus journey like Manchester to Exeter.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It would be about £103 return on VT/GW via London.
Advances on all legs for £25+£12 (to/from Euston), £36+£31 (from/to Paddington).
Plus tube fare.
Less than 8 hours, roughly hourly.

Another permutation if you wish to travel by train during your holiday!!!
2 advance singles to Cheltenham Spa @ £21 each
8/15 freedom of south west rover £100.50 each
there is a 3/7 day rover but you need 8 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.