• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

fare advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyn29

I would like to go Leicester to Darllington on SAT 15th March leaving around 6am,
On the way Via Pbo please as going via Sheff doesnt get me there early enough, on the way back to Sheffield (Dept around 1700 from Darlington) as I have a EMT staff card which I can use from Sheff to Lei.
also want to go to Northallerton on thursday and return the same day.
I have a priv card

many thanks

Martyn

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would like to go Leicester to Darllington on SAT 15th March leaving around 6am,
On the way Via Pbo please as going via Sheff doesnt get me there early enough, on the way back to Sheffield (Dept around 1700 from Darlington) as I have a EMT staff card which I can use from Sheff to Lei.
also want to go to Northallerton on thursday and return the same day.
I have a priv card

many thanks

Martyn
(All fares from NFM95 and are about 6% higher now)

LEI-DON (Route Peterborough) SOS £9.40
SHF-YRK (Route Any Permitted) SDR £3.80
YRK-DAR (Route Any Permitted) SDR £4.50 (or NTR £3.80)

martyn29

can I get to Sheffield with my pass on thursday then how much would it be to Northallerton and to return to Sheff from there?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
can I get to Sheffield with my pass on thursday then how much would it be to Northallerton and to return to Sheff from there?
As above, but if you don't need to go via PBO then you can remove that ticket, so you only need Sheffield-York and York-Northallerton, you don't need the first ticket to Doncaster. It will only cost about £8.

martyn29

fantastic, thanks once again!
now just another to get your teeth into! a cheapish way of getting to Edinburgh, maybe with a day stopover (I have my EMT pass and priv) cheers!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
fantastic, thanks once again!
now just another to get your teeth into! a cheapish way of getting to Edinburgh, maybe with a day stopover (I have my EMT pass and priv) cheers!
Sheffield-Edinburgh SOR is £40.50 (20.25 for the SOS) but I am sure we can reduce it....

SHF-YRK £6.70 (2x SDSs as no SOR available)
YRK-NCL £11.50
NCL-BWK £8.15
BWK-EDB £8.50

Total £34.85

Not much of a reduction... (there are bigger reductions for non-PRIV holders returning same day by combining CDRs)

(Remember these are the old fares)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
awesome!!!!!!!! what would it be if i was a non priv holder returning the same day?
Assuming no railcard...

SHF-EDB SVR £81.40 (valid any time)

SRO-YRK CDR 12.40 (after 0930 M-F) or SHF-YRK SVR 16.90 (any time)
YRK-NCL CDR 20.50 (after 0900 M-F)
NCL-BWK SVR 18.20 (any time)
BWK-EDB CDR 15.40 (after 0845 M-F)

Total = £66.50 (£71 if leaving SHF before 0930 M-F) Total Saving = £13.50ish.

martyn29

Chesterfield to Darlington (priv) next sat
then Darlington to Shef Priv next sat

thanks in advance Y!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Chesterfield to Darlington (priv) next sat
then Darlington to Shef Priv next sat

thanks in advance Y!
If doing a single, a SOS is probably best at £8.

if doing a return, you can split it:-

Chesterfield-Sheffield £1.20
Sheffield-York £3.80
York-Darlington £4.50

Obviously miss out the Chesterfield-Sheffield portion if starting at Sheffield.

As usual all fares from the now out of date leaked Avantix Traveller from last year. (if anyone can leak the current one that would help!! ;))

martyn29

need to get back to sheffield from darlington the same day so what would the cheaper option be?
just do a darl to york then York to sheff SOS?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
need to get back to sheffield from darlington the same day so what would the cheaper option be?
just do a darl to york then York to sheff SOS?
As above, but you save about 45p by making the Chesterfield-Sheffield a single instead of a return :lol:

martyn29

Hi Again Yorkie! great to se you at the weekend!

I am going darlington on wed 16th, on the way it will have to be LEI to DARLINGTON via PBO,(as cant get to shef early enough) on the way back I am catching the 1750 from DAR to SHF (where i can pick up my EMT service) any way of making the first part LEI TO DARL cheaper? cheers in advance.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't find a better way than the original advice, assuming the train doesn't call at one of the ECML shacks:-

LEI-DON (Route Peterborough) SOS £9.40
SHF-YRK (Route Any Permitted) SDR £3.80
YRK-DAR (Route Any Permitted) SDR £4.50

However, on reflection, if your train calls at Retford, you could split Leicester-Donny at Retford as follows:-

LEI-RET SOS 6.10
RET-DON SDS 1.70

Or, if it calls at Newark:-

LEI-Newark Stations SOS £3.10
Newark Stations-DON £3.45

Or, if calls at Grantham:-

LEI-GRA SDS £3.00
GRA-DON SOS £4.85

Another alternative, if your train calls Retford, is to get a ticket from Kiveton Park to York instead of Sheffield to York. This is the same price as the Sheffield ticket, but is valid via Retford for the outward journey, and valid via Sheffield for the return journey. You can start and end your journey 'short' so it's perfectly legit. Sheffield is the shortest route so valid by default, and Retford is a permitted route on maps PS + ER. That means you do not need a Retford-Doncaster ticket.

If the train calls at Retford AND Newark (unlikely but...), this can be done for ultra-cheapness:-

Leicester - Newark Stations SOS £3.10
Newark Stations - Retford SDS £1.70
Kiveton Park - York SDR £3.80
York-Darlington SDE £4.50

That brings the total down to £13.10 (again bear in mind these are last years fares), which is a saving of approx £10 compared to through tickets.

I think I've done this journey to death now though, if you want any more combinations download Avantix Traveller ;) (Discussion and link here)

martyn29

thanks again:)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I found this train, would the above be valid?
leic to derby XC then derby to Darlington also XC the train doesnt touch doncaster it arrives at 10-01.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
and another one doesnt call at Doncaster, just York then darlington! XC LEIC TO PBO then PBO to DAR NEXEC with no stop at doncaster

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you are going via Sheffield then you do not need that Leicester-Doncaster ticket.

Sheffield-York is valid via all sorts of routes, doesn't need to go via Donny. Routes that are valid are too numerous to mention, but you can go via Huddersfield or via Selby to give some extremes, and everything in between.

martyn29

If you are going via Sheffield then you do not need that Leicester-Doncaster ticket.

Sheffield-York is valid via all sorts of routes, doesn't need to go via Donny. Routes that are valid are too numerous to mention, but you can go via Huddersfield or via Selby to give some extremes, and everything in between.

cool thanks! Im just not sure which train to catch! I have a week to sort it out!
cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.