• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do the railways always moan about loosing money?
I have just caught the 22-41 SHF-HUDDS from sheffield (got off at ex king coal barnsley) not one sign of the guard (sorry conductor) the only station with a ticket machine/office is sheffield i know meadowhall has a machine but who's going to use it!
I now its friday night but that is ridicoulus

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

charley_17/7

Even when you do have a open, staffed booking office it doesn't make much difference on a Friday or Saturday night (or anytime come to think of it!).

I have been told tickets aren't generally done on late night services leaving Manchester, as it just isn't worth the "trouble" over minor fares.

More important is to make sure all announcements are clear and loud, giving extra time at stations, with the time you "saved" by not doing tickets. Remember it is dark, and many people have consumed alcohol, may only catch the train going into town once a week, they need all the encouragement to get off at the *right* station!

I make sure a full ticket check is done before leaving the station, selling tickets before boarding, that way you can call on support from station staff/security/British Transport Police. It makes life a lot easier once you've left, you're on your own! (excepting Driver).

Our priorities are:

1) Safety of the train
2) Punctuality of the train
3) Revenue Duties (or as I call it, Collect & Protect)

It could have been something as simple as a broken machine, or even a flat battery, they could have hammered it on the tickets earlier, going into SHF! If this happens, I give an explanation on the PA, and walk up and down the train during the journey to give reassurance and ensure safety, rather than "sitting in the back".

If there wasn't "one sign of the guard" as you put it, who did the doors? Who made the PA announcements?

me123

Established Member
I have seen a worse case. One of the FSR conductors was there on a CUB-MTH service, opening doors but did not once go through the train (which had no more than 20 people on board) to collect revenue or inspect tickets (let's face it, it was easy enough for him to do so). Opening the doors coulsn't have taken 20 minutes :?

Tom C

Even when you do have a open, staffed booking office it doesn't make much difference on a Friday or Saturday night (or anytime come to think of it!).

Exactly the same as most places around busy cities. Brighton can be just as busy on a weekend as it is during the morning rush hour.

I have been told tickets aren't generally done on late night services leaving Manchester, as it just isn't worth the "trouble" over minor fares.

Again, its the same all over the place. The safety of the member of train crew or RPI is more important than collecting a few fares. Revenue sometimes have an advantage as some work in pairs but conductors are always alone. Most have the incentive of 5% commission but to be honest I would prefer my face to stay the way God intended!.

Our priorities are:

1) Safety of the train
2) Punctuality of the train
3) Revenue Duties (or as I call it, Collect & Protect)

I would make that a 4 tier system and make 1) Safety of me and those around me. I have seen colleagues trying to collect a fare from a guy who had a rather good night out and it ended up with punters getting involved and ended up in a rather nasty fight. I have checked trains late at night on my own down here and believe me its not for the faint hearted!.

It could have been something as simple as a broken machine, or even a flat battery, they could have hammered it on the tickets earlier, going into SHF! If this happens, I give an explanation on the PA, and walk up and down the train during the journey to give reassurance and ensure safety, rather than "sitting in the back".

Once Advantix machines get "used" the batteries become next to useless. I covered a booking office with an apparently full battery on the PDA and fresh batteries in the printer, got 30 tickets in and the whole thing just died. Did the same with SPORTIS some years ago and did a whole 7 hour shift and did a whole ticket roll and still managed to get it off shift before it expired!

So much for progress!!

im not saying the guard should be "visible" all the time yes he did open the doors make announcments ETC but this route between sheffield and barnsley even in the daytimes sometimes we never see the guard all the journey, i know they are talking about putting barriers up at sheffield station but the only problem is what about the supertram passengers as they have to access the station to join the tram?

Status
Not open for further replies.