• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare Dodging Couple Who Defrauded The Railway Ordered To Pay £6K

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
First Class for Lancaster to Preston is only a little bit more than Standard Class for Leamington Spa to Birmingham, even though you have a good chance of getting a sandwich and some alcohol when travelling with Virgin!
It's 13-15 minutes southbound, 17-19 minutes northbound. You would get indigestion trying to guzzle down a sandwich in that time. :lol:
That's about the time it takes me to read the irrelevant drivel about what Joe Public thinks, what routes Northern and Cross Country take, indigestion and sandwiches.
All purporting to add to the "Fare Dodging Couple Who Defrauded The Railway Ordered To Pay £6K" story, which probably merits some more analysis and comment.
I despair sometimes, I really do

In fact, I'm surprised no one's brought into this wandering thread: the RHTT, third rail, train numbers, Datum Markers or horns (yet).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cumfy

This seems to encourage people to fare dodge, they seem "unlucky" to have been caught and effectively had to pay only what they've got away with. Crazy.

It would be helpful to know whether they kept their jobs or not.

All Line Rover

Established Member
All purporting to add to the "Fare Dodging Couple Who Defrauded The Railway Ordered To Pay £6K" story, which probably merits some more analysis and comment.
I despair sometimes, I really do

What other "analysis" can be added? They broke the law - simple. It's just that the fares structure in this country is in a mess (a ridiculous mess), which can encourage some people to dodge paying the appropriate fare for their journey/s. That's also simple! :roll:

I think there has been enough "comment" on this thread. ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's about the time it takes me to read the irrelevant drivel about what Joe Public thinks, what routes Northern and Cross Country take, indigestion and sandwiches....

In fact, I'm surprised no one's brought into this wandering thread: the RHTT, third rail, train numbers, Datum Markers or horns (yet).

What does the RHTT, third rail, train numbers, Datum Markers and horns have to do with train fares? I'd like to know, please...

Northern and CrossCountry set season ticket fares (somewhat relevant to a thread about fare-dodging, don't you think?). Sandwiches might not be directly relevant to fares, but there is something called "added value," and a free sandwich and tea/coffee every day adds up to quite a bit saved over the year! Indigestion, though, I don't know... :lol:

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
One that's been missed

“Cox went on to admit that he had been stopped before by rail staff on several occasions but would continue to travel fraudulently, despite being issued with fines.

Given that, i'd assume RPIs & Staff on that route will now be more vigilant looking out for them when they next travel.

bengolding

I bet the Preston to Lancaster section has a lot of free loaders, given that both stations are open. With the 41 Pendolino arriving into Lancaster at 54, chances of a ticket check in a Pendolino in 13 minutes is rare, after a crew change at Preston.

4SRKT

Established Member
I can see a Forum sandwich-eating challenge coming up !:D

I once ate a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer in under a minute. This may not sound impressive but they're as dry as sandpaper and it's much harder than it sounds. I'd like to see anyone else better this........

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This seems pretty lenient on the face of it. NXEA should have gone for 18 months worth (less holidays and weekends) of Anytime returns...

As someone not familiar with the law, what penalties can be imposed for fraud? Is it a matter of paying back the money owed (however this is calculated in a case like this) plus a fine or custodial sentence?

I'd agree with swt_passenger; the only penalty this couple have received appears to be a (presumably recordable) conviction. Someone prosecuted for walking past a ticket office would face a proportionally much larger penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.