• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare evader on Trip Advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
You could forward the link to East Coast, then they may be able to pass it onto the Guard of the train mentioned in the posts. It is a long shot however a tip-off is better than nothing ;)

Ivo

Established Member
It can't possibly happen because I still have a valid ticket. Simple as that.

No. Just no.

Once a ticket has been used to its permitted validity (of one return journey in this instance) the ticket is no longer valid. Everyone should know that.

richw

Veteran Member
You could forward the link to East Coast, then they may be able to pass it onto the Guard of the train mentioned in the posts. It is a long shot however a tip-off is better than nothing ;)

Could do but considering the customer goes through paddington not sure what use east coast will be. Fgw maybe more useful, for which we have our very own flamingo!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

extendedpaul

It is far too easy to board and leave trains at Paddington without going through a barrier, especially from or to the Hammersmith and City Line. The ticket re-user is obviously in the wrong but I fear he is far from being the only one.

benk1342

Once a ticket has been used to its permitted validity (of one return journey in this instance) the ticket is no longer valid. Everyone should know that.

Unfortunately there are an awful lot of people who seem genuinely not to understand that something can be wrong/illegal even if you aren't going to get caught.

Flamingo

Established Member
If he's going from an unbarriered (or unmanned) platform, to an unbarriered station, on a train that is either DOO (I don't know if DOO goes all the way to Oxford), or a train where the guard may not be getting all the way through the train for any one of a dozen reasons (not all of which are laziness), then there is always going to be a proportion that don't have a ticket.

Catching them (or even challenging them) can often cost more than it is worth it (to the bean-counters anyway).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If he's going from an unbarriered (or unmanned) platform, to an unbarriered station, on a train that is either DOO (I don't know if DOO goes all the way to Oxford), or a train where the guard may not be getting all the way through the train for any one of a dozen reasons (not all of which are laziness), then there is always going to be a proportion that don't have a ticket.

Catching them (or even challenging them) can often cost more than it is worth it (to the bean-counters anyway).

There's nothing that can be done in these circumstances anyway - the evader appears to live in the USA and it's unlikely he could be tracked down.

benk1342

There's nothing that can be done in these circumstances anyway - the evader appears to live in the USA and it's unlikely he could be tracked down.

Well, his TripAdvisor profile says he lives in the US, but his post mentioned a journey from Paddington to his "home". I can't seem to find a fare between London Terminals and Warrensburg, Missouri! ;)

Incidentally, the post has now been removed from TripAdvisor as inappropriate. I'm not the one that reported it (as I thought it should remain for the purposes of this discussion at least), but I am glad it has been taken down.

TEW

Established Member
If he's going from an unbarriered (or unmanned) platform, to an unbarriered station, on a train that is either DOO (I don't know if DOO goes all the way to Oxford)
If it was a Turbo to Oxford it would be DOO. If the train was extended to/from the Cotswold line a guard may well have been on-board to/from Reading though.

johnnychips

Established Member
Incidentally, the post has now been removed from TripAdvisor as inappropriate.

The original has been removed but the replies have not (I called him a thief and a criminal) and he's back!

'I'll still be using my valid ticket next Sunday, folks. And the Sunday after that if I can!!'

Flamingo

Established Member
Not my patch, and there are people higher up the food chain than me who make those decisions. I'd rather stay off their radar, if you get my drift ;)

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
No. Just no.

The problem of course being that the miscreant's ticket is indistinguishable from a true valid ticket.

Unless, of course, he's put it through a barrier on a previous trip, unaware that this is recorded on the magstrip. In which case he's likely to come a cropper sooner or later.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Lets be honest we all know of people who have either bought a ticket to a station beyond their ultimate destination or vice versa because it is cheaper. We all know people who have bought a ticket simply to get through a barrier. We all know people who have sat silently on a train while the gourd passes them and if challenged later in the journey produce a ticket that seems, to all intents and purposes, to be valid. How will the guard either remember that you got on at Y rather than X? We all know people who play the system or the routing guide to get the best advantage to them.

It is wrong and may lead to a criminal record to evade a fare or play the system; however it is very difficult to stop this kind of abuse. If you offer me a choice between this and simply bunking the fare I would take this one every time. At least here the railway gets SOME money.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Lets be honest we all know of people who have either bought a ticket to a station beyond their ultimate destination or vice versa because it is cheaper.

That's perfectly legal.

We all know people who have bought a ticket simply to get through a barrier.

Perfectly legal unless you are trying to evade the fare. Absolutely fine to buy a ticket to get through a barrier to spot trains or whatever.

We all know people who play the system or the routing guide to get the best advantage to them.

Perfectly legal.

It is wrong and may lead to a criminal record to evade a fare or play the system;

It's only wrong, and illegal, to evade the fare. That's a specific kind of fraud. Using the Routeing Guide or break of journey allowances on a ticket is absolutely, 100% fine and it is most certainly not illegal.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
We all know people who play the system or the routing guide to get the best advantage to them.

It is wrong and may lead to a criminal record to evade a fare or play the system

I think that some on here would take issue with that!

Depriving the railways of revenue by fare evasion is illegal; doing the same by using loopholes to make a journey using a ticket(s) cheaper than the straightforward A-B fare is legal. Whether the latter is morally acceptable is up to the individual.

If you offer me a choice between this and simply bunking the fare I would take this one every time. At least here the railway gets SOME money.

It also makes it easier to prove intent to avoid the fare if they are caught and hence increasing the potential penalty / likelihood of going for prosecution.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@alterego,

I was trying to say that it is NOT fine to buy an advance from station X and board at Station Y becuase it is cheaper and then use the system or thier knowledge of the system to get around the rules with the intent of defrauding the TOC
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
@ Lexyboy

Sorry it is poorly worded. I mean people who set out to defraud the system RATHER than use a vaild combination of tickets to ensure thier journey has the lowest posssible cost.

All Line Rover

Established Member
There is a difference between fare evasion (which is illegal) and fare avoidance (which is legal). It's just like tax evasion (which is illegal) and tax avoidance (which is legal).

When I'm using an unusual ticket (courtesy of the Routeing Guide) that the barriers at my destination won't accept, I buy a different ticket to get me through them. It's perfectly legal as I still travelled to that station with a valid ticket. I only do it to avoid having arguments with the staff.

stut

Established Member
So is this like tax avoidance vs tax evasion? Will we have to refer to fare avoision for those not-so-clear-cut cases?

All Line Rover

Established Member
So is this like tax avoidance vs tax evasion? Will we have to refer to fare avoision for those not-so-clear-cut cases?

The case on this thread is completely clear cut. It's fare evasion. It's fraud. It's illegal.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
So is this like tax avoidance vs tax evasion?

Yes, that's a good analogy. The case in point with the chap at Paddington is fare evasion, which is a criminal offence.

Avoiding the fare (forgetting it's included in citations on summons 'intent to avoid the fare thereof' etc) through legal means is different.

stut

Established Member
Oh, completely agree that this case is clear cut fraud.

Clip

Established Member
Ahh there'll always be people like this. They'll get caught eventually and be on here or MSE bleating about it.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The original has been removed but the replies have not (I called him a thief and a criminal) and he's back!

'I'll still be using my valid ticket next Sunday, folks. And the Sunday after that if I can!!'

Can anyone let us know what the original post on TA said - it's a bit hard to follow this thread without it...

Status
Not open for further replies.