• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare Evasion 4 times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Established Member
Until he gets stopped for a broken tail-light or some such and an outstanding warrant flags up...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
We may wish that was the case but it isn't, if he is no longer (or never was) at the address he gave that will almost certainly be game over. Obviously if it were for something more serious the police would make every effort to track him down but resources only stretch so far.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
We wish that was the case but it isn't, if he is no longer (or never was) at the address he gave that will almost certainly be game over. Obviously it were for something more serious the police would make every effort to track him down.

And of course his name will never, ever appear anywhere it is likely to be found, you know like on a driving licence, council tax, gas/water/electric bill etc in the future will it! :roll:

railquest

These are the reasons for the three previous fare evasions:

1. Many years ago i think it was one stop when I was not even working in London. (Maybe when i was a teenager)
2. I forgot my season ticket had to get to work got fined at the other end but paid upfront explained situation and was advised I could appeal. (effectively just gave £20.00)
3. Girlfriend no longer worked up London so gave me her ticket as last for a few weeks so did not need to renew mine. Although i picked up my expired one in a rush in morning they let me through and was not even made aware until I got the other end. Explained situation paid upfront again I could have proven this by sending in the ticket...

So before judging that I have been a relentless fare evader, please establish the facts as I am here for advice.

OK so what do I do as I have still have no response and I can not spend my life chasing this...?

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As for people judging, to be fair it was yourself who claimed in your title "Fare Evasion 4 times", so I'm not sure what othr conclusions you want people to draw.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
OK so what do I do as I have still have no response and I can not spend my life chasing this...?

You needn't do anything; you just need to wait for them to write to you (at the address you gave them, unless you make arrangements for them to contact you at your new address). Until then the ball is firmly in their court

railquest

Yes but to be fair to me always good to ask questions before jumping to the end, when this forum is for advice.

broadgage

1. Many years ago i think it was one stop when I was not even working in London. (Maybe when i was a teenager)
2. I forgot my season ticket had to get to work got fined at the other end but paid upfront explained situation and was advised I could appeal. (effectively just gave £20.00)
3. Girlfriend no longer worked up London so gave me her ticket as last for a few weeks so did not need to renew mine. Although i picked up my expired one in a rush in morning they let me through and was not even made aware until I got the other end. Explained situation paid upfront again I could have proven this by sending in the ticket...

So before judging that I have been a relentless fare evader, please establish the facts as I am here for advice.

1) MIGHT be forgotten about, depending on how long ago ?
2)Sounds like a penalty fare, which may "feel" like a fine, but strictly speaking is a charge for making a mistake and not a fine.
3) What happened ? did you pay a penalty fare ? for attempted use of an out of date ticket, or did they prosecute.

Therefore you might be lucky and get away with settling out of court. If asked about any previous prosecutions or penalties, tell the truth.

A prison term is possible in theory but most unlikely in practice. A fine seems likely, the size of this depends on how many of the previous incidents have been recorded.

And yes, learn the lesson and buy a ticket in future.

railquest

I can't remember how long ago...
Yes it was a penalty fare
Just paid there and then and that was it

To be honest they didn't give me a ticket or advice on next steps ...

How long legally do they have to bring a case to me before it is no longer valid?

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Did you appeal? I did that once and so it didn't cost me anything and presumably I'm now on their system as a confirmed season ticket holder not a fare evader.

You sure you explained that one?

Train companies usually come down very hard on people using other people's season tickets (unless it's one of the small number of tickets which is transferable) - it's usually treated as repeated fare evasion on its own.

Perhaps it's as well you didn't send that one in.

Last edited:

railquest

well let's see how it goes I've also emailed c2c and she took my details to contact them and said could get a call today...has not happened. I'm in the wrong I know that but just want find out what's happening, so being as pro-active as I can. Can't change whats happened but can change what happens in the future and that's life!

railquest

No didn't appeal was to muc hassle so just paid it could have afterwards.

I rang C2C customer services and they advised they will contact te revenue protection..

jon0844

Veteran Member
Every now and then TOCs do stings in conjunction with the police (or vice versa) so if that happens and Mr Serial Fare Evader is stopped again, they'll likely be arrested.

I'm stunned the police don't do more of these stings, as they're always highly successful and they arrest a rather large number of people wanted for all sorts of things, and who literally walk straight into their arms.

Antman

Established Member
Every now and then TOCs do stings in conjunction with the police (or vice versa) so if that happens and Mr Serial Fare Evader is stopped again, they'll likely be arrested.

I'm stunned the police don't do more of these stings, as they're always highly successful and they arrest a rather large number of people wanted for all sorts of things, and who literally walk straight into their arms.

They do require quite a lot of resources and they do tend to get asked by passers-by why they have nothing better to do...................they'll never please everyone!

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
If the OP is found guilty in their absence and disappears the case will eventually be passed to the court's enforcement team who can track people down in ways that outside agencies such as TOCs can't (employment records, DWP records or even utility company records).

If one does however move and has no knowledge of any action having been taken against them, they can file a Statutory Declaration and have the case re-heard and start the ball rolling again. Whatever happens, the OP won't be 'getting away with it' scot free unless he dies (and if the latter, you could argue that you've earned the right to have the slate wiped clean if you're dead...). It could take time, but HMCTS takes a very dim view of non-payment of their imposed fines so they will find offenders eventually.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
If the OP is found guilty in their absence and disappears the case will eventually be passed to the court's enforcement team who can track people down in ways that outside agencies such as TOCs can't (employment records, DWP records or even utility company records).

If one does however move and has no knowledge of any action having been taken against them, they can file a Statutory Declaration and have the case re-heard and start the ball rolling again. Whatever happens, the OP won't be 'getting away with it' scot free unless he dies (and if the latter, you could argue that you've earned the right to have the slate wiped clean if you're dead...). It could take time, but HMCTS takes a very dim view of non-payment of their imposed fines so they will find offenders eventually.
So as long as the OP doesn't have a bank account, get a job, rent or buy a property or car, take out HP on anything, apply for a passport or driving licence (plus a few things I cant think of) they might get away with fare evasion!

Yeah I can really see people doing all that! :lol:

najaB

Veteran Member
So as long as the OP doesn't have a bank account, get a job, rent or buy a property or car, take out HP on anything, apply for a passport or driving licence (plus a few things I cant think of) they might get away with fare evasion!
So, either pay your fare or buy a canoe and a plane ticket to Panama.

Stigy

Established Member

Yeah I can really see people doing all that! :lol:
In a nutshell, yes :lol:

Antman

Established Member

I have family in the police and there are colossal amounts of fines that are unpaid and for far more serious offences than non payment of train fares.

I am in no way condoning what the OP did here but we have to be realistic.

Flamingo

Established Member
I have family in the police and there are colossal amounts of fines that are unpaid and for far more serious offences than non payment of train fares.

I am in no way condoning what the OP did here but we have to be realistic.

Yes, but there is a difference between some shoplifting drug addict who may have tens of thousands owed in fines that realistically are never going to be paid and it is recognised there is no point in chasing, and somebody who would be in a position to pay it whenever they appear on the radar in the future. It's a hostage to fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.