• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare Evasion 4 times

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have family in the police and there are colossal amounts of fines that are unpaid and for far more serious offences than non payment of train fares.

I am in no way condoning what the OP did here but we have to be realistic.

True, in a previous life I used to take part in sweeps for people who had failed to attend court or had failed to pay fines. Basically a "Wanted on Warrant" search. We would get a big list in the morning, a large van and go hunting - a good result was 5 - 10%. However when we caught someone it was straight to jail, no bail until they could see the sheriff on the next legal day.

It was quite hard tracking down the usual transient underclass but we did pick up a few folk who should have known better but were just putting their heads in the sand.

To be fair I think we only did this about once a quarter in our division and things have no doubt changed in the last 20 years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tibbs

True, in a previous life I used to take part in sweeps for people who had failed to attend court or had failed to pay fines. Basically a "Wanted on Warrant" search. We would get a big list in the morning, a large van and go hunting - a good result was 5 - 10%. However when we caught someone it was straight to jail, no bail until they could see the sheriff on the next legal day.

It was quite hard tracking down the usual transient underclass but we did pick up a few folk who should have known better but were just putting their heads in the sand.

To be fair I think we only did this about once a quarter in our division and things have no doubt changed in the last 20 years.

Talking to the Police officers I now know, they barely have time to deal with the serious crimes, let alone minor ones like this.

And that's before the cuts that are coming.

Flamingo

Established Member
Talking to the Police officers I now know, they barely have time to deal with the serious crimes, let alone minor ones like this.

And that's before the cuts that are coming.

People voted for them. That's democracy for you.

Stigy

Established Member
I have family in the police and there are colossal amounts of fines that are unpaid and for far more serious offences than non payment of train fares.

I am in no way condoning what the OP did here but we have to be realistic.
I agree...But it's an offence not to pay a court fine nonetheless. It's not what the initial conviction is for that matters, it's the fact that you're basically sticking your fingers up at the courts...Which is frowned upon.

Also bear in mind it's often not the Police that chase said fines, and it's contracted out to either private companies or court bailiffs.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member
I agree...But it's an offence not to pay a court fine nonetheless. It's not what the initial conviction is for that matters, it's the fact that you're basically sticking your fingers up at the courts...Which is frowned upon.

True. When it eventually comes back to bite one on the ass (and most members of society it will, eventually) then it hurts. Courts DO take a dim view of something which is seen as undermining the system. Hence the custodial sentences handed down for things like bigamy. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/christopher-thomas-humiliated-karen-sherratt-7339619

Antman

Established Member

Also bear in mind it's often not the Police that chase said fines, and it's contracted out to either private companies or court bailiffs.

Police do chase some fines but it's often a vicious circle, they arrest the person, keep them in custody overnight, take them to court the next morning where they (or their solicitor) will trot out a sob story and agree to pay x amount a week. They are then released and invariably don't keep to the agreement and the whole cycle starts up again. Once non payers would have been jailed for a few days but with prison overcrowding that really isn't an option now.

Debt collectors may chase some of them up but despite all their bravado they have no special powers and usually end up drawing a blank.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
True. When it eventually comes back to bite one on the ass (and most members of society it will, eventually) then it hurts. Courts DO take a dim view of something which is seen as undermining the system. Hence the custodial sentences handed down for things like bigamy. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/christopher-thomas-humiliated-karen-sherratt-7339619

Totally off topic I know but these days I am surprised that bigamy is even an offence anymore let alone something an offender could be jailed for:roll:

Stigy

Established Member
Police do chase some fines but it's often a vicious circle, they arrest the person, keep them in custody overnight, take them to court the next morning where they (or their solicitor) will trot out a sob story and agree to pay x amount a week. They are then released and invariably don't keep to the agreement and the whole cycle starts up again. Once non payers would have been jailed for a few days but with prison overcrowding that really isn't an option now.

Debt collectors may chase some of them up but despite all their bravado they have no special powers and usually end up drawing a blank.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Totally off topic I know but these days I am surprised that bigamy is even an offence anymore let alone something an offender could be jailed for:roll:

Debt collectors have no power to enforce action, but bailiffs from the courts or contracted by the courts do. They can actually seize goods to the value of the debt whereas standard debt collectors who call themselves bailiffs cannot. High court enforcement officers are even more powerful.

Antman

Established Member
Debt collectors have no power to enforce action, but bailiffs from the courts or contracted by the courts do. They can actually seize goods to the value of the debt whereas standard debt collectors who call themselves bailiffs cannot. High court enforcement officers are even more powerful.

It is common knowledge that the simple way of getting rid of bailiffs is don't open the door to them, they cannot force an entry.

mbreckers

It is common knowledge that the simple way of getting rid of bailiffs is don't open the door to them, they cannot force an entry.

But they can legally enter through an unlocked door or window, and they can take anything you own sitting on your driveway or on the road.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
In England and Wales that is correct. A Sheriff Officer, the equivalent in Scotland, may use reasonable force if it is necessary to gain entry if the citizen is at home and is simply refusing to open the door (and if it is not a Sunday).

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
But they can legally enter through an unlocked door or window, and they can take anything you own sitting on your driveway or on the road.
Bailiffs can to an extent, unless you need it as part of your trade or to get to/from work. It's different for High Court Enforcement Officers I believe, who have more power than bailiff...

fowler9

Established Member
Bailiffs can to an extent, unless you need it as part of your trade or to get to/from work. It's different for High Court Enforcement Officers I believe, who have more power than bailiff...

As I understand it if it is just Barclays or someone else chasing up unsecured loans they have next to no power. If you haven't paid tax or fines then the court appointed folks have a fair bit more power. Barclaycards appointed debt collectors (Or the people they sold my debt to at a knock down rate) said I could be at risk of doorstep collection. I told them to send them round because I wouldn't be in.They never turned up and have been sending me the same scary texts for about 5 years. They have threatened me with court but won't bother because of the crazy knock down rate they bought my debt at, they would loose money. If I give them £50 they will have made money. Don't get me wrong this is not the way to plan your finances and I will not get credit ever again from anyone other than a pay day lender but I simply don't want it anyway.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Just to assist anyone following this thread with a concern arising from a conviction for fare evasion, that penalty would be enforced as a criminal fine to be paid into court.

34D

Established Member
Just to assist anyone following this thread with a concern arising from a conviction for fare evasion, that penalty would be enforced as a criminal fine to be paid into court.

And more than likely by police officers with a warrant for ones arrest....

Antman

Established Member
And more than likely by police officers with a warrant for ones arrest....

Or perhaps less than likely? As I mentioned previously there are massive amounts of unpaid fines and for far more serious offences, police resources only stretch so far!

scotsman

Established Member
Can we stop speculating here, please? These are legal matters and will be of great concern and anxiety to certain members, and this speculation will not help them.

Stigy

Established Member
As I understand it if it is just Barclays or someone else chasing up unsecured loans they have next to no power. If you haven't paid tax or fines then the court appointed folks have a fair bit more power. Barclaycards appointed debt collectors (Or the people they sold my debt to at a knock down rate) said I could be at risk of doorstep collection. I told them to send them round because I wouldn't be in.They never turned up and have been sending me the same scary texts for about 5 years. They have threatened me with court but won't bother because of the crazy knock down rate they bought my debt at, they would loose money. If I give them £50 they will have made money. Don't get me wrong this is not the way to plan your finances and I will not get credit ever again from anyone other than a pay day lender but I simply don't want it anyway.

Indeed, which is the point I was making. I've been there myself....you will be credit worthy again one day, as after 6-years of no contact the debt would be statute barred. Also, any debt disappears from a credit file 6-years after you defaulted whether you paid it or not. Not an ideal scenario as certain employers also credit check you. I'm now pretty much debt free but I have an ex-wife who got away without paying a penny of the so called joint debt. I even paid one of hers that I was named on....off topic I know, sorry folks...

Sparky-

There's no way your getting out of this one.

They'll throw the book at you, you've been caught 4 times, god knows how many times you've done it. But, I don't care whether you're guilty or not.

Get a solicitor that has experience in Rail Fare Evasion.
Write a well worded letter to c2c and have your solicitor check it. The letter should tell the your new address, what happened, the RPO's details and a very sincere and honest apology.

Obviously you haven't learnt from your prior mistakes and they will motion for prosecution, unless you have a very and I mean very good letter & luck.

If they do try to prosecute, keep the solicitor, do what he says. Plead to the prosecutor with sorrow right up until the case and say you'll cover any fines, costs and admin fees. These will add up but it's better than the criminal record.

You have been in breach of Railway Byelaw 18 and that is what they'll try and prosecute you for. You should contact them with the apology.

If you don't and they don't get back to you then after six months, they can't do anything. But, if they do get in touch, they'll throw away the key.

Your call. But, in my opinion you've brought this on yourself.

Yours,
Sparky-

Status
Not open for further replies.