• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare evasion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipdip

My wife traveled from Farringdon at 1820 and arrived in St.Albans at 1910 with an off-peak ticket, ticket covered all 6 zones and She was told that she traveled illegally. Is this correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
From reading the timetable, though none of the times you provided match up, it does appear that an Off-Peak ticket would have been invalid, yes.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
From FCC restrictions, sorry old chap...

Travelling on an Off-Peak Day Return, Off-Peak Day Travelcard, Family Travelcard or DaySave
Your ticket is not valid for travel from Zone B (Central) to Zone D (Outer Urban) if the service departs from Moorgate, King’s Cross or St Pancras International (including pass-throughs) between 1630 and 1901 Monday to Friday.

Farringdon is in 'B' and St Albans is in 'D'

34D

Established Member
From FCC restrictions, sorry old chap...

Travelling on an Off-Peak Day Return, Off-Peak Day Travelcard, Family Travelcard or DaySave
Your ticket is not valid for travel from Zone B (Central) to Zone D (Outer Urban) if the service departs from Moorgate, King’s Cross or St Pancras International (including pass-throughs) between 1630 and 1901 Monday to Friday.

Farringdon is in 'B' and St Albans is in 'D'

I seem to remember St Albans used to be the same zone as Welwyn http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/tickets-and-fares/off-peak-tickets/travel-off-peak/ticket-restrictions/

Re the OP's wife, what happened? The correct treatment I believe is an excess.

transmanche

Established Member
My wife traveled from Farringdon at 1820 and arrived in St.Albans at 1910 with an off-peak ticket, ticket covered all 6 zones and She was told that she traveled illegally. Is this correct?
If by 'all 6 zones' you're referring to the London Travelcard zones, then St. Albans is outside those zones anyway.

RJ

Established Member

What was the ticket and how much did it cost? Was it a St Albans to London Zones 1-6 Travelcard for £15.90 or simply a London Zones 1 - 6 Travelcard for £8.50?

Or was it a Travelcard from somewhere completely different? The origin is important as if it's not on the line out of St Pancras, it's likely it wasn't valid as St Albans is not within any of the London zones.

tony_mac

Established Member
It's in the NRCoC - you don't get charged a penalty fare for this (unless it's an advance ticket or similar).

if a restriction applies and the ticket you
are using is not valid for the train you are travelling in, then:
(a) you will be liable to pay an excess fare (the difference between the price
paid for the ticket you hold and the price of the lowest priced ticket
available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel in that
train for the journey shown on the ticket); or
(b) in the case of some types of discounted tickets (as indicated in the notices and
publications) the relevant parts of Condition 2 or 4 will apply.

I don't think they would expect to prosecute for something that is covered by the NRCoC (unless intent to avoid payment could be shown).

First class

Established Member
It's in the NRCoC - you don't get charged a penalty fare for this (unless it's an advance ticket or otherwise).

There's a suggestion it was out of area as St Albans isn't with the Zones AS WELL as invalid due to a time restriction.

Last edited by a moderator:

tony_mac

Established Member
Ah, yes, I see - although it's all rather academic without clarification of what actually happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.