• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare for journey where part of route already paid for

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunawayTrain

I had an interesting situation last Thursday regarding my ticket cost. I was travelling from Chertsey to Surbiton which is via Weybridge. I already had (and showed) a monthly season ticket from Woking to Waterloo (which covers the Weybridge to Surbiton sector), and was sold a single from Chertsey to Weybridge at the cost of £3.20, which on the face of it does seem logical.

However, there is another logic in that I required a ticket that covered the difference between Chertsey to Surbiton and the single fare from Weybridge to Surbiton that I already had through my season ticket. A single from Weybridge to Surbiton is £4.60, and from Chertsey to Surbiton is £5.50, therefore the difference in fares would be 90p.

I realise we're talking the cost of a cup of coffee here, but it did get me thinking that isn't, in fact, the more logical and fair way of calculating my fare the latter? It is the same train company. I'd appreciate your thoughts! Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
>>>>>>>>>>>You were sold the correct fare. Excessing season tickets isn’t a thing. Therefore you need to buy a ticket between the end of your season ticket validity and your origin / destination.<<<<<<<<<

Actually. Thinking about it.
Woking to London is valid via Chertsey. you could go on a permitted route and not have to pay anything at all. Chertsey to Surbiton is covered on your season ticket.

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
You should ask SWR for a refund then, as you shouldn't have been charged anything at all.

No contract at all came into existence, as they were purporting to give you a right, through the sale of the additional ticket, you already had been given (through the season ticket).

RunawayTrain

You should ask SWR for a refund then, as you shouldn't have been charged anything at all.

No contract at all came into existence, as they were purporting to give you a right, through the sale of the additional ticket, you already had been given (through the season ticket).

Yes, except ticket thrown away now. A bit of a poor show, as I did clearly explain and show my season ticket to the chap in the ticket office. I've just checked my ticket and it does indeed say under 'route': 'ANY PERMITTED'

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Yes, except ticket thrown away now. A bit of a poor show, as I did clearly explain and show my season ticket to the chap in the ticket office. I've just checked my ticket and it does indeed say under 'route': 'ANY PERMITTED'
Did you pay by card?

It may still be worth pursuing, especially as they may have CCTV and purchase records, if you contact them soon.

robbeech

Established Member
I guess this depends on the actual conversation with ticket office staff here. Realistically if you said ‘ I need to go to Surbiton I have a season ticket to weybridge what else do I need?’ Then they’ll likely just sell you the single. If you asked what to do you’d hope they’d have enough knowledge about tickets in their area but sadly this isn’t always the case.

RunawayTrain

Thanks for these responses. As to the conversation, I clearly explained the situation, showed him and told him about my Woking-London season ticket (albeit briefly), and also had a discussion with him regarding paying the excess or buying the single from Chertsey to Weybridge, so he knew the complete circumstances. I think I will contact them, not least because they may need to up their training.

Status
Not open for further replies.