• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare Lookup please

Status
Not open for further replies.

[.n]

Can someone who knows what they are doing and with access to current valid fare data lookup some fares for me please. I have used from the data.atoc.org site NFM29 just now and am seeing what I expect (and which tells me fares are valid until May 2018).

I've also used brfares.com (again I'm seeing what I expect).

My TOC however is telling me something different and I need to know who is in the right, but I don't want to share details openly on the forum, though I believe strongly the TOC knows who I am

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
BR Fares (currently) uses the data from data.atoc.org, which was last updated in January, so it's quite likely that the fares data has simply changed since then. A move to daily updates for BR Fares is now in the pipeline though...

[.n]

BR Fares (currently) uses the data from data.atoc.org, which was last updated in January, so it's quite likely that the fares data has simply changed since then. A move to daily updates for BR Fares is now in the pipeline though...

So if RDG/ATOC aren't the definitive source then who is? Oh and whats the point of the data file being valid until May 2018 if one can't rely on that being true!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
So if RDG/ATOC aren't the definitive source then who is? Oh and whats the point of the data file being valid until May 2018 if one can't rely on that being true!
Long story cut very short, and this is my opinion only: historically the fares were really only updated 3 times per year; daily updates were theoretically possible but quite rare. These days because virtually all TISs and retail sites receive daily updates, it's so easy to make an update and get it pushed out within a day or two, so TOC pricing managers no longer seem to really adhere to the rule about publishing major changes only three times a year. Thus sources like BR Fares and Avantix Traveller, which until a few years ago were able to stay reasonably relevant even with only thrice-yearly updates, are starting to fall behind.

As I indicated, BR Fares will be moving to daily updates in time for the May fares round if not sooner.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Long story cut very short, and this is my opinion only: historically the fares were really only updated 3 times per year; daily updates were theoretically possible but quite rare. These days because virtually all TISs and retail sites receive daily updates, it's so easy to make an update and get it pushed out within a day or two, so TOC pricing managers no longer seem to really adhere to the rule about publishing major changes only three times a year. Thus sources like BR Fares and Avantix Traveller, which until a few years ago were able to stay reasonably relevant even with only thrice-yearly updates, are starting to fall behind.

As I indicated, BR Fares will be moving to daily updates in time for the May fares round if not sooner.

We're seeing an awful lot of full refreshes of fares data while PMS is bedding in. There has been another complete refresh this week.

[.n]

So as Wallsendmag has confirmed for me, it appears that there is no fare data available (in something that gets the current feed - so I see what I expect in Avantix) - can some knowledgeable fare person clarify if I can expect a fare to be calculated on request

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Can some knowledgeable fare person clarify if I can expect a fare to be calculated on request
You can certainly contact the relevant pricing manager at the TOC that owns (or should own) the flow in question and request it. It's unlikely to be done immediately, however, as they may need to seek permission from other operators, the DfT and Rail Settlement Plan to create it; and may wish to create a range of fares for the flow if more than one is "missing".

In the intervening period, the lack of through fare means you can (and indeed must under Ticketing and Settlement Agreement rules) offer a combination of tickets that covers the journey instead.

[.n]

You can certainly contact the relevant pricing manager at the TOC that owns (or should own) the flow in question and request it. It's unlikely to be done immediately, however, as they may need to seek permission from other operators, the DfT and Rail Settlement Plan to create it; and may wish to create a range of fares for the flow if more than one is "missing".

In the intervening period, the lack of through fare means you can (and indeed must under Ticketing and Settlement Agreement rules) offer a combination of tickets that covers the journey instead.

I can't see why permission is needed, the fares were in existence a few weeks ago.

I've tried getting the fare calculated and produced manually - there are some instructions in online archived "The Manual" http://nfm16.nationalrail.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com that shows how to for my destination but I've not been able to get anyone to successfully do this.

Is it permitted to stop serving a destination arbitrarily?

RJ

Established Member
So as Wallsendmag has confirmed for me, it appears that there is no fare data available (in something that gets the current feed - so I see what I expect in Avantix) - can some knowledgeable fare person clarify if I can expect a fare to be calculated on request

Depends on what you're after. I do create cross London season Travelcards of course. And sometimes create "missing" point to point fares - only when the stations either side have those fares (so I override the origin) and this has been reported to the retail department.

Anything else, would need clarification from the iKb before doing so.

[.n]

Depends on what you're after. I do create cross London season Travelcards of course. And sometimes create "missing" point to point fares - only when the stations either side have those fares (so I override the origin) and this has been reported to the retail department.

Anything else, would need clarification from the iKb before doing so.

Could I PM you details to check? I'm trying to work out whether I'm in the right or not to start creating more of a fuss

OwlMan

Established Member
This does not have anything to so with add-ons does it?
Otherwise the only fares I know you can calculate are cross-London season tickets.

OwlMan

Established Member
It appears that the contract for the bus add-on that the OP wanted has been discontinued. (The contract has expired and not been renewed)

wibble

My TOC however is telling me something different and I need to know who is in the right, but I don't want to share details openly on the forum, though I believe strongly the TOC knows who I am

Unless you're bringing your employer into disrepute, I can't imagine they'll be interested in who you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.