• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1609

Established Member
Does anybody have any good legal ways to save money?
Heres a starter;

When travelling to/from London Euston check out instead buying a ticket to/from Kensington Olympia. For many ticket types its the same price as a ticket to fro London Terminals. The advantage is that as well as being valid via Watford Junction and the West London Line its also valid via Clapham Junction. This is probably a throw-back to the days when Kensington Olypmia was only served via Clapham Junction.

The cash saving aspect is that your ticket should be marked + which means that it will let you have a single tube journey to Victoria, Waterloo or Balham saving £6.00 on the return tube fare.

The trainline will quite happily route you this way confirming its legality.

Its also a good way if you have to split your tickets in London when you cant buy a advance purchase ticket for instance buy a cheapday return to clapham junction and a saver from kensington to manchester.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Take a look in advance - particularly if you know exactly when you're travelling. Also see what the price of two singles rather than a return would be. I've managed to get tickets to and from London for the Acton weekend for £26.00, which isn't bad considering it's a Friday PM peak and a Sunday PM peak when I'll be travelling!

AlexS

Established Member
In railway terms, I don't think there is considered to be a Sunday peak - from Friday 1930ish to Monday 0500ish is considered to be off peak - although the start and finish times change with the trains themselves.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AlexS said:
In railway terms, I don't think there is considered to be a Sunday peak - from Friday 1930ish to Monday 0500ish is considered to be off peak - although the start and finish times change with the trains themselves.
There are no peak restrictions as such on Sundays, but it is still considered a 'peak time' for InterCity services on Sunday late afternoons/evenings, with many people going home after a weekend away.

Andrew

Or leaving home on Sunday to start work some distance away - ie non commutable first thing Monday.

Ascot

Established Member
Easiest way into London is get a travel card (£2) and a ticket from your nearest back of beyond station to another back of beyond station 1st open return if you desire. Tried and tested twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.