• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fareham - Newport (S Wales)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarethW

A quick query.

Tomorrow I've got to do the above journey for work, and its likely to be a regular thing in the future.

Out of interest I had a look through the routing guide and from what I can see there are several permitted routes for this journey, beside the direct one, It looks like I can go via Weymouth! or Reading/Basingstoke or Reading/Clapham Junction amongst others.

Work books my tickets and I've just collected them from the machine and to my surprise they're marked via Salisbury rather than Any Permitted. (£46.60 for Anytime Returns).

Not a problem for tomorrow, but in the future I'm likely to want to take more esoteric routes, certainly on the way back.

My questions are, can someone confirm that the alternative routes I've mentioned above are permitted. And can someone post the cost of these routes or at least the cost of an AnyPermitted ticket?? Also is there an Anytime Day Return for this journey please. (Advances won't be any good as I'm not going to know more than a few days in advance or how long I'll be on our site there).

Presumably if other routings are more expensive, and work won't shell for the more expensive ticket, I can excess a "Route Salisbury" ticket on the train if necessary.

Thanks in advance as always. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
can someone confirm that the alternative routes I've mentioned above are permitted. And can someone post the cost of these routes
Flexible Standard fares from Fareham [FRM] to Newport (South Wales) [NWP] are:

Route Via Salisbury
Anytime Day Single (SDS) £41.00
Anytime Return (SOR) £46.60

Route Not Via London
Super Off-Peak Single (SSS) £65.50 YW
Super Off-Peak Return (SSR) £66.50 YW
Off-Peak Single (SVS) £82.50 WW
Off-Peak Return (SVR) £83.50 WW
Anytime Single (SOS) £105.00
Anytime Return (SOR) £210.00

There are no fares routed "Any Permitted". Valid Routes from Fareham [FRM] to Newport (South Wales) [NWP]:
  1. Direct trains from Fareham to Newport (South Wales)
  2. Shortest Route: 118.25 miles
    • Fareham
    • Southampton Central
    • Romsey
    • Salisbury
    • Warminster
    • Dilton Marsh
    • Westbury (Wilts)
    • Trowbridge
    • Bradford-on-Avon
    • Avoncliff
    • Freshford
    • Bath Spa
    • Bristol Temple Meads
    • Filton Abbey Wood
    • Severn Tunnel Junction
    • Newport (South Wales)
  3. Any Route not more than 3 miles longer than the Shortest Route.
  4. Mapped Routes:
    • BB + LW (allowing travel via Basingstoke & Reading)
    • CE
    • CW + CE (allowing travel via Weymouth)
    • CW + MW + LW (allowing travel via Reading & Guildford, Cheltenham or Gloucester)
    • CW + MW + WE + CE
    • MW + LW
    • MW + WE + CE (allowing travel via Reading & Taunton)
    • PD + MW + LW

I don't see any valid route via Clapham Jn. It seems to me that map combination PD + MW + LW would not achieve this because it would not use map MW if travel were via Clapham Jn.

is there an Anytime Day Return for this journey
No, there is not an Anytime Day Return from Fareham to Newport (South Wales). To travel by a particular route, it would be possible to buy a combination of Anytime Day Returns and/or Off-Peak Day Returns. This could well save money compared with a Route Not Via London ticket, but it would be more difficult to find a combination saving on the cost of a Route Via Salisbury ticket.
Presumably if other routings are more expensive, and work won't shell for the more expensive ticket, I can excess a "Route Salisbury" ticket on the train if necessary.
You can certainly excess an Anytime Route Via Salisbury ticket to an Anytime Route Not Via London ticket on the train, but that would be rather expensive. If I wanted to excess an Anytime Route Via Salisbury ticket to a Super Off-Peak Route Not Via London ticket, I would go to a ticket office a few days before the date of outward travel. Such an excess is likely to be prohibited from the start of the date of outward travel as a fraud prevention measure.

GarethW

A very quick thx for the reply. Have a couple more queries for later. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.