• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallySleeper

Established Member
I recently had the following situation:

NRE shows that all 3 Virgin Value Advance tickets A B and C for a particular journey are available. I then attempt to buy the cheapest, C, and get forwarded to Midland Mainline's trainline outlet to purchase tickets. Initially, trainline say that, like NRE, all 3 tickets are available, except when I actually attempt to purchase tickets, I get a notification come up which blatantly is saying they aren't actually available.

Also, I tried booking same tickets in person at a travel centre - I was told that all 3 tickets were unavailable. Before and after this NRE were still saying that all 3 were available.

Some system - now I know how occasional travellers feel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Another example of how confusing the NR ticket info site is, can be found in the attachment.

Even on sites using theTrainLine interface, you only get route information for certain journeys in the future, and only if you click on a link which most people would just ignore, because you don't know your about to get route information.

Attachments

• confusing.JPG
    confusing.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 35

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sounds like they just sold out!

Nevermind, at least there's that half price offer today - a Saver at half price is probably better value than advances ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Mojo said:
Another example of how confusing the NR ticket info site is, can be found in the attachment.

Even on sites using theTrainLine interface, you only get route information for certain journeys in the future, and only if you click on a link which most people would just ignore, because you don't know your about to get route information.

Qjump gives you routing information.

CallySleeper

Established Member
In a new twist, and in contrary to the old 'once they're gone they're gone' rule for advance tickets, it seems as though all 3 tickets have been reinstated to full availability on all systems.

Table 52

When you say 'recently' it didn't coinside with the signallers strike did it? If something like that happens, all reservations get suspended, which would explain it.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Peter B said:
In a new twist, and in contrary to the old 'once they're gone they're gone' rule for advance tickets, it seems as though all 3 tickets have been reinstated to full availability on all systems.
Out of interest, was the day of travel one of those pencilled in for possible strike action? If so it's possible that cheap advance tickets, that require reseverations, were made unavailable due to reservations being suspended over a strike period.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Lewisham2221 said:
Out of interest, was the day of travel one of those pencilled in for possible strike action? If so it's possible that cheap advance tickets, that require reseverations, were made unavailable due to reservations being suspended over a strike period.
Nope

asopu10

I always struggle to get tickets online, hence most are bought from the station, there a pain in the arse mnost of the time, I have to choose between lots of diffrent types and they never seem to explainwhat the diffrence is clearly. Why can't they just be like the bus, pay for where you go, and then get a discount for booking in advance, with a rail card or with a group ticket.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
asopu10 said:
I always struggle to get tickets online, hence most are bought from the station, there a pain in the arse mnost of the time, I have to choose between lots of diffrent types and they never seem to explainwhat the diffrence is clearly. Why can't they just be like the bus, pay for where you go, and then get a discount for booking in advance, with a rail card or with a group ticket.

I've never had problems booking value tickets online.

It's probably because I've never used the National Rail website for the bookings though.

Only time I've used a train station is when i unusally only knew about the need to go up north on business the day before travel. (Still got a Value first though :smile: )

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Chaz said:
Qjump gives you routing information.
Qjump has been part of thetrainline for over a year now, and I do know the screen you refer to - I always used Qjump if I wanted routeing information. Shortly after Qjump was bought out, thetrainline gained that option "There may be alternative, slower routes with cheaper tickets. Click here for more information."

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed, that's the option I always use on tTL, but it's not always avaliable

Status
Not open for further replies.