• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares are SIMPLE (Milton Keynes to London Euston)

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
A passenger wants an open return ticket from Milton Keynes to London Euston.

The passenger checks the Virgin Trains website.

The passenger is presented with the following image:

[EDIT: It appears to be too large to include as a forum attachment. Here is a link.]

That image covers trains within a 22 minute window.

Need we remind ourselves that fares are SIMPLE?

I look forward to the day when Milton Keynes is served additionally by Marylebone and Crossrail services.

Coventry to London is another 'interesting' one to look up. There is even a "London Midland Only Midweek Only Super Off Peak Return" (the LMOMOSOPR ticket!). 'Midweek' is, according to London Midland, Monday through Thursday (not, as the deceptive publishers of the Oxford English Dictionary would have you believe, Tuesday through Thursday).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talldave

Established Member
Be careful what you wish for though. In the energy market, the patronising government decided that we should only have a limited choice of tarrifs because our poor brains couldn't cope with any more. So all the interesting tarrifs disappeared.

Those who spend more time on research deserve the better deal.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The fares system is a mess but if fares were simplified they would increase.

The example I often use is when I make a trip from Stevenage to Bath for an evening rugby match, leaving Paddington in the evening 'peak'. The railway want me to pay in excess of £200 but I know a suitable combination of tickets for under £50.

If fares were simplified how much would I be required to pay.......

AM9

Veteran Member
I disagree. It should not require research to get a reasonable deal.

Similar to taxation, really - accountants really should not be necessary, the system should be simple enough.

Taxation is different. There aren't many (legal) ways of avoiding all involvement in the system. There is a good case to make it simpler to reduce the opportunity for fraud and abuse in taxation rules but that would deny the politicians their political manipulations.
In a free economy where the government is obsessed with "competition and choice" (superficially at least) this puts the task of seeking the most suitable offer on the lay purchaser. Rail fares are no different. The only thing that should be outlawed is obfuscation of ticket availability and the restrictions placed on the purchaser.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why? Whether you're buying a washing machine, car, flight or holiday the same applies. What makes rail travel special?

Those items are much easier to compare as there are far fewer complex nuances that can be highly costly if got wrong. Except Ryanair, but that is hardly a good example! :)

londiscape

Why? Whether you're buying a washing machine, car, flight or holiday the same applies. What makes rail travel special?
Rail travel is special because you can get slapped with a criminal prosecution if you get it wrong. I can't think off the top of my head of any other situation where a commercial company engaged in retail supply of goods or services has such an imbalamced weight of power in the process.

I assume you can still (potentially) get prosecuted for errors on tax returns and other related forms?

Status
Not open for further replies.