Fares for a complex journey

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by jp347, 13 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp347

jp347 Member

Hi

I travel from Spalding to Minffordd every so often and have never quite managed to get my head around some of the issues with fares, partly as there is the option of taking the Ffestiniog Railway to Blaenau Ffestiniog first, so there are two possible start points.

I have a few questions:
    1. I was surprised to find my open single from BFF to SPA was valid for two days - is there any way to predict when this will be valid for one day/two days?
    2. if I travel on several advance purchase fares linked together what happens if one of them messes up the others?
    3. what about if this means I miss the last train of the day part way along the journey?
    4. is it possible to travel out via Mach and back via Llandudno Junction on one return ticket (about a week later)?

I know this is rather a lot of questions, but I think I have at least managed to work out the routeing for myself!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I will answer the first three quickly as I'm on the go.

Anytime Singles are now valid for two days instead of one, after the recent changes to the NRCoC on 5th October.

As long as you have stuck to the minimum connection time as stipulated by the NRT, it will be regarded as one journey and you will be entitled to take a later train should an earlier one mess up.

Then the railway will either put you up in overnight accommodation or arrange alternative transport for you.

4. jp347

jp347 Member

Thank you - that clears up by big worries about splitting fares on the journey.

5. quarella

quarella Member

Section 43 of the NRCOC
    Please note the words "within the control of a train company" and "if it reasonably can".

6. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yeah, Anytime Single (SOS) = valid for 2 days. Anytime Day Single (SDS) = valid for 1 day.

The term "Standard Open Single" is no longer used, but the 3-letter code SOS remains. The terms have changed over the years, however.
    Advance fare T&Cs include:

b) If delays occur while
    travelling, they will be
    allowed to take the next
    available train(s) to complete
    their journey.

NRCoC Condition 19 states that you can use two or more tickets for one journey.

Make sure you allow at least the minimum connection time when changing trains!

A search for "Advance Fares FAQs" brings up a whole topic on the issue, which was recently clarified by ATOC :) (which has been helpful, as otherwise at this point, before we had that clarification someone would disagree with me, and we'd then get into a debate about consumer rights. There is no longer any doubt)
    The NRCoC Condition 43 states:

43. Help from Train Companies if you are stranded
    If disruption caused by circumstances within the control of a Train Company or a Rail
    Service Company leaves you stranded before you have reached your destination and the
    Train Company whose trains you are entitled to use is unable to get you to that destination
    by other means, any Train Company which is in a position to help will, if it reasonably can,
    either arrange to get you to that destination, or provide overnight accommodation for you.
    I don't think so, as a ticket to Minfford (MFF) is presumably only valid on National Rail services and not the Ffestiniog Railway, and therefore assumes you travel via Machynlleth (MCN).

7. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

There is a "Ffestiniog Round Robin" ticket that allows for a circular journey but I believe it's a one day ticket rather than one that would let you come back a week later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.