• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares Retail Publications Portal vs National Rail Enquiries Internal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLC1072

As a lot of booking office clerks know, FRPP was decommissioned. I just wanted to ask how people are getting on with the new NRE internal site? Especially compared to the old FRPP.

Personally I just can't get to grips with it, it's so disjointed!

Over to you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
We work in the only industry where the internal provision of information about our products is seen as non-essential, and an area to cut costs. The result is that we get what we (the TOCs) pay for.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
As a lot of booking office clerks know, FRPP was decommissioned. I just wanted to ask how people are getting on with the new NRE internal site? Especially compared to the old FRPP.

Personally I just can't get to grips with it, it's so disjointed!

Over to you!

What I think about iKB can't be printed on this forum (it's a family forum).:o:oops:

Personally I think that REN and the NFM manuals were far better than any of the online stuff that followed (it has gradually gone downhill since the move to internet based information), but I can't have what I want because it costs too much and isn't the latest fad (as far as the railway is concerned at least).:roll:

RJ

Established Member
One of the few things that probably the majority of ticket office clerks would use The Manual for was straightforward access to previous NFMs. We need the previous year's fares to calculate some refunds and changeovers. The removal of this facility has certainly been causing headaches for some of us on the front line. The PDF files that have been provided are very user unfriendly to work with - I've seen clerks try to work with them, before giving up and ringing other ticket offices for help. On some occasions, I've resorted to using my laptop and previous versions of Avantix Traveller to find the fare. I don't understand why something that was actually required by ticket office staff had to be taken away.

The search function within the iKb is poor - I've given up with it as I kept typing in keywords and getting either no results, or the page I was looking for being nowhere near the top of the list.

Where has the Newsrail Express gone?

I could go on, but it is actually annoying to me - I pride myself on giving the very best customer service possible. I regularly used The Manual to search for things that I needed to find out about quickly. Because of the way the iKb manifests itself, now I've found there are occasions where I've had to do the dreaded thing and tell a customer to come back another time, because I need more time to find the relevant information to provide the service they are entitled to receive.

It's fair to say that in some ways, the switch from The Manual to the iKb has contributed to the degradation of the level of service offered to customers.

Last edited:

PermitToTravel

Established Member
One of the few things that probably the majority of ticket office clerks would use The Manual for was straightforward access to previous NFMs. We need the previous year's fares to calculate some refunds and changeovers. The removal of this facility has certainly been causing headaches for some of us on the front line. The PDF files that have been provided are very user unfriendly to work with - I've seen clerks try to work with them, before giving up and ringing other ticket offices for help. On some occasions, I've resorted to using my laptop and previous versions of Avantix Traveller to find the fare. I don't understand why something that was actually required by ticket office staff had to be taken away.

In case you didn't know, a website called http://www.farehistory.info/ allows easy online access to the contents of past NFMs.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Journey planners use the data from NFM64 apparently, there is no information in the Routeing Guide to suggest you should use anything other than the current fares though.

Last edited:

CheapAndNerdy

Journey planners use the data from NFM96 apparently, there is no information in the Routeing Guide to suggest you should use anything other than the current fares though.

True enough. Ah, anyway I used NFM95 to check out the anomaly/exception that currently exists for travelling from Southport to Manchester via Liverpool. Sure enough, the route is valid according to NFM95, whereas it fails the fares check using the latest fares.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Where has the Newsrail Express gone?.....

That stopped being any use a long time ago.

....It's fair to say that in some ways, the switch from The Manual to the iKb has contributed to the degradation of the level of service offered to customers.

Tbf, switching to an online database started that ball rolling, iKB will push it further down I'm sure, but it's not a recent thing by any stretch of the imagination.

NLC1072

Thanks for the replies people! On a personal note, things I could answer in the past I'm now struggling on as I relied heavily on the manual. But there's progress!

johnnycache

when i was involved in these things it was agreed there was no point in maintaining separate data sources which might contradict each other and so knowledgebase was agreed as the future sole source of information (as NRE would have to maintain it anyway)

it was also agreed that knowledgebase would be made available to the public (with some material kept private where it might endanger revenue protection etc)

its disappointing that knowledgebase is not meeting your needs
who do you raise these issues with?
and has anyone heard anything about knowledgebase becoming publicly available?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
.....who do you raise these issues with?....

Good question. I think I know who it should go through for Northern, but having tried to email said person in the past about fares related things, I get the impression he is someone who answers their phone only if a name appears on the display.

.....and has anyone heard anything about knowledgebase becoming publicly available?

Aside from what occasionally appears on here, I haven't.

Last edited:

johnnycache

Good question. I think I know who it should go through for Northern, but having tried to email said person in the past about fares related things, I get the impression he is someone who answers their phone only if a name appears on the display.

There was someone on this forum talking about new format tickets that i think might be the Northern representative at the ATOC Fares and Ticketing Group
I've always been amazed at how train companies disregard the expertise of their ticket office staff - it denies the company all that experience actually dealing with passengers and utterly demotivates the staff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.