• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Farewell to the Class 87's 29/12/07

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Don't think that GBRf would be interested in 87002, the extra mail trains will probably be 325s. In fact the 87s are rarely used to haul the 325s around these days, only really in an emergency.

RJ

Established Member
I hear its going for a repeat performance, I'm in the area on Friday so I hope to see it somewhere unusual. Dreadful :p

RJ

Established Member
Did Wembley - Southend - Wembley. Weds, Thurs and Friday as 0M87/0L87. Stopped off at Ilford on the way back on Friday and picked up 325003 and ran as 5M87 to Wembley. Dreadful :)

southy39

it went to southend light engine...
for what.... theres nothing in Southend... well nothing that would be any use.
unless its to do with the Royal mail terminal there.. next to Southend victoria... i think it has a platform....

Established Member
unless its to do with the Royal mail terminal there.. next to Southend Victoria... i think it has a platform....
GBRf route learner - presume for engineering or whatever other reason, not necessarily anything to do with mail services. Don't think the Southend-Northampton parcels will be coming back myself!!!!!

Roll on December 29th :-P

unless its to do with the Royal mail terminal there.. next to Southend victoria... i think it has a platform....
I told you. It was a fish and chip run for the GB drivers!:shock:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
send me a PM if you are interested in a block booking, it is worth doing if at least 4 of us commit.

last time I checked £19 travelodges were available at various places en-route.

Gizmogle

Established Member
There's been some rumours going around about this tour, so I emailed Spitfire just to be sure that everything is still running smoothly...

Good Evening Shauna,

Thank you for your enquiry. There appear to be many rumours circulating regarding our tour so I will share with you what I have been advised of so far…

At present the tour is running and filling rapidly!

The tour will be hauled by 87028 (subject to the usual availability clause) there is an 80% 87022 will also be making an appearance on the day in support of 87028.

The tour will be going into Glasgow Central (the engineering work in the Glasgow area should not affect our route).

The Train crew and locomotive are supplied by First GBRf

The rolling stock is a mix of MKIII and MKII from Rail-Blue Charters

Our TOC for the tour will be DRS.

Please excuse my frankness, but the above is FACT, so anything you hear to the contrary it should be dismissed. If in the unlikely event that there a cancellation we will put an announcement on our website and contact all those booked on the tour immediately. I hope this answers your initial query.

Kind regards

Jo

Jo Ford

Company Secretary

Spitfire Railtours

Jord

So should be fine then, but i didn't know there were rumours about the tour running or not, i thought just about if both the 87s were on it

EE Type 3

Established Member
Jord- There was one going around saying that a 90 would be working the tour, of course complete twaddle.

Well done Shauna for getting on the case! :razz:

Dave

Established Member
Jord- There was one going around saying that a 90 would be working the tour, of course complete twaddle.
Wouldn't say it was a rumour, more a standard wind-up from promienent 90 men which has somehow been taken seriously by someone, much like the known fact that 90047 will not be working the chingfinder spin and win!

It's now 75-80% certain that it will only be a single 87 for the tour with an irrelevant ECS loco being sourced from the somewhere in the vicinity of Scotland.

Keep your eyes on the Hull Trains job as this will be the deciding factor on whether two locos are on the charter. On that note, will this charter actually turn out to be the final Class 87 hauled passenger train in the UK?

Edit. How appropriate that this is my 87th post?! :lol:

djw1981

Established Member
Will the HT haul not go on after end of December then if no OMTR fitted?

Established Member
1Z86 (!) 0738 Bir Int'l - Glasgow Central (1229)
1Z87 1627 Central-Bir Int'l (2105)

Surpringly close to the projected timings - or were Spitfire just more realistic/honest from the outset?

87s where they belong!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sending off my cheque in the post tomorrow morning. Got little excuse, the mailbox is on the other side of the street to me!

Should be a thoroughly enjoyable tour!

Status
Not open for further replies.