• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Farnborough/Guildford to Royston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Badger

On a Saturday I wish to travel from Farnborough to Royston, back to Guildford and then return to Farnborough, all on the same day. I have an Annual Gold Card from Farnborough to Winchester.

I think the following is the cheapest permitted way I can do this, but just wanted to double check, I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Farnborough to Guildford (any permitted - which is valid via Woking) Off Peak Day Return £3.30
Woking to Welwyn North Off peak Day Return £11.05
Welwyn North to Royston Off peak day return £6.25

Total cost £20.60

Using this combination I would use the outward portion of the Farnborough to Guildford ticket as far as Woking, where I would break my journey and then travel onto Royston, using my Woking to Welwyn North and Welwyn North to Royston tickets, returning later in the day.

On reaching Woking on the return journey I would use the remainder of my Farnborough to Guildford outward ticket to Guildford and then finally return from Guildford direct to Farnborough at the end of the day.

As I have an annual season ticket, I wouldn't therefore need to catch a train stopping at Welwyn North either.

Does this all sound OK?

Cheers,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As I have an annual season ticket, I wouldn't therefore need to catch a train stopping at Welwyn North either.

Does this all sound OK?

Apart from the last bit, yes. You are not using the season ticket for travel, only to reduce the cost of the individual tickets, so you have to take trains stopping at each split point. Having said that, if you printed out an itinerary for your journeys including starting from/ending at Winchester (or somewhere between Winchester and Farnborough), the staff at the Royston end would not be able to check that you hadn't used the first bit.

rdwarr

To be honest there aren't and "really fast" trains to Royston on a Saturday and a slow one (which stops at Welwyn) only takes 15-20 minutes longer than a semi-fast.
So, even though you do need to stop at Welwyn if you're splitting, it's not going to ruin your plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.