• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Farnborough to London Routeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Badger

Can someone with greater knowledge confirm I am interpreting the routeing guide correctly?

I want to travel from Farnborough to London, breaking my journey on the return leg at Egham. My reading of the routeing guide is that I can do this so long as I travel London-Egham-Wokingham-Farnborough North, but that my ticket would not be valid London-Egham-Weybridge-Farnborough Main

It seems stange that I can't use map WW for this journey.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
I want to travel from Farnborough to London, breaking my journey on the return leg at Egham. My reading of the routeing guide is that I can do this so long as I travel London-Egham-Wokingham-Farnborough North, but that my ticket would not be valid London-Egham-Weybridge-Farnborough Main

Unfortunately your interpretation of the guide is incorrect.

Starting from the beggining, Farnborough and London are both routeing points so we can head straight to section C to find the maps listed, in the case we can use maps CS+WR and map WX.

Map WX permits London Waterloo/Victoria to Clapham Junction to Wimbledon to Surbiton to Woking to Farnborough.

Maps CS+WR firstly permit London Paddington (also London Waterloo via Clapham Junction) to Hayes & Harlington to Slough to Reading to Wokingham to Farnborough.

Maps CS+WR also permit London Waterloo to Clapham Junction to Streatham to Croydon to Redhill to Dorking to Guildford to Farnborough.

Neither of the map sets listed in section C allows travel between Staines and Wokingham and therefore the route you wish to take on the return is not permitted.

Bill Badger

Unfortunately your interpretation of the guide is incorrect.

Starting from the beggining, Farnborough and London are both routeing points so we can head straight to section C to find the maps listed, in the case we can use maps CS+WR and map WX.

Map WX permits London Waterloo/Victoria to Clapham Junction to Wimbledon to Surbiton to Woking to Farnborough.

Maps CS+WR firstly permit London Paddington (also London Waterloo via Clapham Junction) to Hayes & Harlington to Slough to Reading to Wokingham to Farnborough.

Maps CS+WR also permit London Waterloo to Clapham Junction to Streatham to Croydon to Redhill to Dorking to Guildford to Farnborough.

Neither of the map sets listed in section C allows travel between Staines and Wokingham and therefore the route you wish to take on the return is not permitted.

Thanks for the explanation I see what I did now, I combined CS and WX.

Is someone able to advise the best way I can do this. Would a Crowthorne - London Travelcard, which has routeing points of Wokingham or Farnborough be OK?

OwlMan

Established Member
A journey from any station between Blackwater & Wokingham or Frimley & Ascot inclusive to London is valid via Ascot & Staines. From any station from Farnborough North & Ash Vale southwards it is not.

Peter

dan_atki

Established Member
Oddly enough, WebTIS, thetrainline, and NRE all believe going from Farnborough Main to Egham via Weybridge (then onto London) is valid...

Quite where they got that from I don't quite know!

Bill Badger

A journey from any station between Blackwater & Wokingham or Frimley & Ascot inclusive to London is valid via Ascot & Staines. From any station from Farnborough North & Ash Vale southwards it is not.

Peter

Thanks for clarfying that. So if I get a Travelcard from Blackwater, can I use that the travel out via Farnborough on the main line and then back via Egham, buying a single from Blackwater to Farnborough at the end to complete my journey. If that's valid I guess that's probably going to be the cheapest way of doing it?

OwlMan

Established Member
Thanks for clarfying that. So if I get a Travelcard from Blackwater, can I use that the travel out via Farnborough on the main line and then back via Egham, buying a single from Blackwater to Farnborough at the end to complete my journey. If that's valid I guess that's probably going to be the cheapest way of doing it?

It is valid via Farnborough

There are different fares from Blackwater depending on the route taken
Via Ascot or Guildford are cheaper than any permitted

anytime 29-30 via Ascot/Guildford £42-50 any permitted
Off Peak £21-00...........................£22-50.............arrive London after 1000
super offpeak 17.30 via Ascot/Guildford only arrive after 1200

Technically to qualify for the cheaper fare you must travel via Ascot or Guildford.

Peter
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oddly enough, WebTIS, thetrainline, and NRE all believe going from Farnborough Main to Egham via Weybridge (then onto London) is valid...

Quite where they got that from I don't quite know!

Blackwater is a member of the Farnborough Routeing Group and has a priced fare via Ascot/Guidford (or one Any Permitted) but Farnborough does not (it has not Reading & any permitted)

Peter.

Death

Established Member
Thanks for clarfying that. So if I get a Travelcard from Blackwater, can I use that the travel out via Farnborough on the main line and then back via Egham, buying a single from Blackwater to Farnborough at the end to complete my journey.
Blackwater is a member of the Farnborough Routeing Group and has a priced fare via Ascot/Guidford (or one Any Permitted) but Farnborough does not (it has not Reading & any permitted)
I must admit that I have a lot of trouble understanding the Routeing Guide a lot of the time, but one thing I do recall reading a while ago (Maybe in an old version though) is that free interchange between group members is permitted at all times.

So going on that; If Bill had a ticket (Or combination of) that would be valid as far as Blackwater only (Say, his last ticket was a CDS Wokingham > Blackwater) wouldn't the group interchange rule still allow him to travel onwards to Farnborough North all the same? :?:

Although I've never attempted it (And don't really plan to) I have wondered on a few occasions if someone could actually use that same rule to allow a legitimate free excess between BAW and FNN, if not even out-and-out ticketless travel. Is this another oversight of the NRRG, or is there something I've missed? <D

dan_atki

Established Member
The interchange between routeing group station members as you recall is permitted only when the group is on a valid route, and neither the origin nor destination is a member of the group.

Because Blackwater is the destination such flexibility isn't allowed here.

t0ffeeman

Frimley seems best bet. An ODT is £21.00 via Ascot, £21.40 Any Permitted, via Ash Vale

Status
Not open for further replies.