• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Farnborough to Reading season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsy47

Hi Everyone.

Firstly, I am new to this forum so apologies if this is in the wrong thread. Also, let me say that this is a great forum, full of good advice and interesting information.

I currently work in Reading and am looking to move to the Farnborough area. My likely commute daily would be Farnborough North to Reading.

The straightforward season ticket I could purchase would be Farnborough North to Reading, however I was looking into other options in the hope of finding a season ticket that covers this journey, with extra flexibility on top.

An alternative option appears to be a Fleet to Reading season ticket. I’ve attempted to look through the routing guide, and (if my interpretation of the routing guide is correct – which it probably isn’t) it appears as though this ticket would be valid via the following routes:

Fleet – Farnborough Main – Farnborough North – Reading
Fleet – Basingstoke – Reading

Is my interpretation of the routing guide correct, and if so, could I use this ticket from Farnborough North to Reading (i.e. I would start short at Farnborough North each day)?

If this is the case, it would be much better value as it is cheaper and would enable me to travel to Basingstoke if I ever needed to.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I can't comment on the specific validity at present, but any season ticket can be used to make any journey over all or part of any permitted route. Starting short, finishing early, breaking journey are all absolutely allowed. As is making numerous trips in one day.

FenMan

Established Member
I can't comment on the specific validity at present, but any season ticket can be used to make any journey over all or part of any permitted route. Starting short, finishing early, breaking journey are all absolutely allowed. As is making numerous trips in one day.

There some reasonably priced tickets that are valid for the loop Farnborough North - Reading - Basingstoke - Farnborough (Main). However, some tickets are from/to stations that only get stopping services. Would such a season ticket be valid on fast services that don't stop at the stations named on the season ticket?

infobleep

Veteran Member
There some reasonably priced tickets that are valid for the loop Farnborough North - Reading - Basingstoke - Farnborough (Main). However, some tickets are from/to stations that only get stopping services. Would such a season ticket be valid on fast services that don't stop at the stations named on the season ticket?
Do you mean your station is at a point where you can get two routes to your final destination and you'd be passing through it?

Or do you mean you'd be travelling further using another ticket in addition to your season ticket? If the latter then because one of your tickets is a season ticket you don't need to be on a train that stops at your starting or terminating station.

If it is the former the it is a gray area. I had it confirmed in an e-mail that I could take a train that didn't stop at Shalford on a Shalford to London Zones 1 - 6 season ticket, it being possible to go. East or West put of Shelford to teach London. You would be advised to contact the TOC to check before doing so though.

Last edited:

tomsy47

Thanks for all of your responses.

Checking National Rail for Fleet to Reading Anytime tickets provides journey plans via Farnborough as well as via Basingstoke (i.e. I could travel out via Farnborough and return via Basingstoke). Am I right in assuming that a season ticket would have the same validity too?

If so, it seems odd that an annual Fleet-Reading season is over £180 less than a Farnborough-Reading season, yet appears to be valid via Farnborough, with the added flexibility of going via Basingstoke too.

RJ

Established Member
Thanks for all of your responses.

Checking National Rail for Fleet to Reading Anytime tickets provides journey plans via Farnborough as well as via Basingstoke (i.e. I could travel out via Farnborough and return via Basingstoke). Am I right in assuming that a season ticket would have the same validity too?

If so, it seems odd that an annual Fleet-Reading season is over £180 less than a Farnborough-Reading season, yet appears to be valid via Farnborough, with the added flexibility of going via Basingstoke too.

Definitely a case of caveat emptor when buying season tickets in this part of the world. There are significant anomalies, such as the one you've found which means a bit of investigation can save you a lot of money.

FenMan

Established Member
Do you mean your station is at a point where you can get two routes to your final destination and you'd be passing through it?

Yes. In the examples I'm thinking of, both Origin and Destination stations are en route between Farnborough and Reading (both ways). One of these stations is only served by stopping services.

Status
Not open for further replies.